Graphics card for old PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

spikygv

Wise Old Owl
I have a mercury mobo of 815 chipset.i dont know whether it has AGP slot . Suggest me graphics card i could use within 3000 rs. Please list down the name , company , special features , graphics memory and price. Thanks.....
PS for both with and without AGP slot . i'll find out if i have one. :D

Yes Intel 815 chipset based mobos have AGP slots. Look for a Geforce FX 5200 to fit your budget. Better still you could look for an used GeForce 4 Titanium.

Keith

vinayasurya

Journeyman
Go for a Geforce 5200 or 5700 based graphic card. A 6200 will be a good bargain but performance in ur system maynot complement the price for 6200. U can also try ATi based chipsets...

Sourabh

Laptoping
Before making the purchase of these newer cards, do make sure whether you have enough room for the graphic card to fit in. Also make sure you have a descent 350W PSU along with the graphic card.

puja399

In the zone
815 based mobo has a AGP 4X port. U can buy any AGP 4X grafix card for it, and also u can buy 8X cards too but make sure that it is backward compatible with 4X AGP slot. nVidia 5700 may be a good choice. But read the documentation of the card before buying anything. It varies from manufacturer to manufacturer.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
afaik there are no new agp 4x cards available. the voltage levels of the newer 8x cards is lower than 4x cards. so make sure u don't run into any problems.

infra_red_dude said:
afaik there are no new agp 4x cards available. the voltage levels of the newer 8x cards is lower than 4x cards. so make sure u don't run into any problems.

8X is fully backward compatible with 4X. No problems expected. 275W - 300W PSU should give no problems with GeForce FX5200 or 5700.

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
Prices vary from place to place.

FX5200 - 2-2.5k, usually 64 or 128MB
GF6200 - 3.5-4.5k, 128 or 256MB - make sure you get the AGP version, not a PCI-Express type.
GF4200 Ti - 64-128MB. New ones no longer available. Much faster than an FX5200. But not DirectX 9 compliant, so you may lose some picture details in some games. Worth it if you can get a second-hand card for about the same price as an FX5200.

The Incredible

Ambassador of Buzz
Some 1 tel me how to know about my PSU. Also, suggest me a perfect PSU and UPS for the following configuration.

Maxtor 30GB HDD

Maxtor 80GB HDD

Panasonic 1.5" FDD

Samsung CD RW

Samsung DVD Multi Player

Adcom Super Woofer

Samsung Samtron 56 V monitor

GeForce 6600GT PCI-e Graphics Card

an PCI-e based Middle End MOBO

Plz suggest cost and where to get also.

puja399

In the zone
The Incredible said:
Some 1 tel me how to know about my PSU. Also, suggest me a perfect PSU and UPS for the following configuration.

Maxtor 30GB HDD

Maxtor 80GB HDD

Panasonic 1.5" FDD

Samsung CD RW

Samsung DVD Multi Player

Adcom Super Woofer

Samsung Samtron 56 V monitor

GeForce 6600GT PCI-e Graphics Card

an PCI-e based Middle End MOBO

Plz suggest cost and where to get also.

The perfect PSU is from Antec. Try the SmartPower 2.0 or the TruePower series. I own Antec SmartPower 2.0 400 Watts SMPS - cost is 3200/-.
The regular PSUs that are sold in the market (in the 1000/- to 1800/- range) having 450 w or even 500w rating are actually giving u around 200w to 250w. Visit *www.antecindia.com/ for more.

Choosing the perfect UPS is rather difficult. U can go for APC though, but if u like to have longer backup time, go for Luminous. It has got Exide Base batteries for better performance and can give backup for hours.

U mentioned 6600GT gfx card, to get top performance from it, u need a good PCIe mobo. I suggest that u go for AMD 64 and not Intel Prescott. Prescott and 915/925 based mobos got overheating problem, and with a high performance gfx card like 6600GT which generates enough heat in 3D mode, u don't need more heat from the mobo itself.
So u can take AMD 64 3500+ ( go for dual core, AMD X2 3800+ or 4200+, if its available), and Neo4 chipset based mobo, like MSI Neo4 Platinum or better still, from Gigabyte (hard to get in India). Avoid Neo4 boards from Asus.

Take good PSU of at least 400w rating. if u cant take Antec, get VIP. its good too. If u buy SLI mobo, u need 500W or more.

The Incredible

Ambassador of Buzz
puja399 said:
The regular PSUs that are sold in the market (in the 1000/- to 1800/- range) having 450 w or even 500w rating are actually giving u around 200w to 250w. Visit *www.antecindia.com/ for more.

What are ratings. What could b da cost of a 500 Watts PSU from Antec. And which one should b taken for it, whether Smart Power or True Power. Whats da difference between them???

puja399 said:
Choosing the perfect UPS is rather difficult. U can go for APC though, but if u like to have longer backup time, go for Luminous. It has got Exide Base batteries for better performance and can give backup for hours.

Tell me a suitable UPS for da above mentioned PSU with longer backup time.

Well, I was too thinking to get an AMD Dual Core since I dont like Intel even a bit and was willing to take nforce4 pci-e mobo or will take a mobo mentioned in digit.

BTW PSU means SMPS or not???

Also, plz remove da confusion of ratings and tel da difference between w & W??

kato

Karthiksn
hey i dont have AGP slot in my pc even though its 815 chipset . But i guess its bcoz its compaqs atleast 5 yrs old

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom