Graphic Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
GT means more pipelines. (I am tempted to say MB signifies Megabyte). The increased onboard vid ram provides space for storage of texture and other maps. But lesser ram don't mean low quality maps since system ram can be used. Anyway only a very few high end games are utilizing more than 128Mb.
But pipelines, on the other hand, cannot be compensated by better cpu or system ram. Pipelines mean more vertices and pixels are processed per clock of gpu.

Another important diference is that the gt version runs at 500MHz core and 1000MHx mem while the non-gts run at 300MHz core and 500MHz mem. Big dfference.

Finally, the GT version's mem is a ddr3 while the non-gt is just a ddr.

So, GT wins over MB, since there are no 6600gt 256mb version.

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
Yes, it is good. But the Extreme edition of that card is factory overclocked to 550MHz gpu and 1100MHz mem, which is better.
But if u can't get the extreme edition, go for BIG 6600gt card instead of the leadtek one. Ppl say that it is based on the same card as the BFG card, which is the best 6600gt brand.

Oh, I see u already have the 6600 256MB in ur sig.

cybershastri

Journeyman
siriusb said:
Yes, it is good. But the Extreme edition of that card is factory overclocked to 550MHz gpu and 1100MHz mem, which is better.
But if u can't get the extreme edition, go for BIG 6600gt card instead of the leadtek one. Ppl say that it is based on the same card as the BFG card, which is the best 6600gt brand.

I totally agree with you. BIG is the best when it comes to price to performance ratio. Check this thread for more proof :

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24357

OP
D

direct_2d

Broken In
yeah... but not MUCH better right..?
I havent heard of any BIG dealers in bangalore... so i gues ill go with leadtek

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
Wait. Are u upgrading from 6600 to 6600gt? If so, it would'nt be a very good upgrade decision. If not, then u can take leadtek. The difference is compared in here:
*www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2295

akshayt

Wise Old Owl
as of now most games may take more advantage of gt than 256mb 6600 vanilla.

try to take 3yrs warranty
leadtek may be good but 1 yr is not that good.
consider xfx(if you are satisfied with it),gigabyte(may have heating probs),big(if it is good)

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl
there is an XFX Geforce 6600GT 256mb ver. but it comes with standard 2.6ns ddr mem...

moreover GT doen't mean more piepline ... it means better clocks ...

and if anyone thinks that the 256mb on a 6600 is of any help .. then think twice ... the 6600 runs on an 128bit ddr mem. interface clocked at 500MHz !!! hell a 5950XT will do better than that ....

KHUBBU

Journeyman
direct_2d said:
yeah... but not MUCH better right..?
I havent heard of any BIG dealers in bangalore... so i gues ill go with leadtek

Its BIG BYTE popularily known as BBC, they r the one who started selling XFX cards apart from RAshi and are now selling BIG as well.

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
I am closing this thread.. hope your queries are cleared or PM me or any mods, we can merge this to the sticky topic.

Thread locked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom