Graphic Card not working!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

idisappear

Broken In
hey guys.....my graphic card is not working.....can somebody help me out

i shutdown the machine & after some time when i started it, gave a message, "Connect power supply to ur Radeon 9800 pro graphic card", i thought i was just minor problem....i opened the cabinet to check wats wrong, i saw the power supply pin, the Red Wire Pin was turned Brown, like it was Burnt, then i checked the respective Pin of the Power supply socket in graphic Card & that too turned Brownish Black.I didnt tried to connect the other Power supply pin to the card.

Its a ATI Tech. card, bought from US, its under warranty, I have contacted the ATI Tech.for this, is there any other way u guys can help me!!!!

or let me know wats exactly wrong with the card????

thanks..

OP
I

idisappear

Broken In
i didnt overclocked it....i did nothing

& regarding the PSU, its working fine, i installed the other Graphic card of mine & is running perfect.

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
What does ATI Tech say ? To send it back to them under warranty ?
When did your computer display the message to connect the power supply to your gfx card - in Windows or on the boot-up DOS screen ?

If you could still boot to Windows, the card is still working but has detected that it's receiving power only from the AGP slot and not from the extra power supply connector.

The charred wire indicates that it had been operating for some time with a loose contact that caused sparking and heating. The loose contact could have been at the male-female contact, at the wire crimp or at the solder point on the card.

If you want to send it back to the company, that's one solution. Otherwise, do the following or engage the help of an experienced electronics tech. Observe standard precautions against static electricity.

Clean the male side of the connector (I assume it's on the card) and check the soldering. It will be practically impossible to clean the female side of the connector. Replace it or use another one if your PSU still has an unused connector.

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
If the color of the wire has turned brown it indicates heating dammage maybe the molex connector of the SMPS was not making a good contact with the pins and sparking over aperiod of time has caused the dammage. So what i recommend is clean the socket on the card and try another smps plug see that there is no other dammage to the card if so it will need professional help.

quad master

In the zone
You could also try your gpu at your friends place first to check if the GPU
is working properly.

If its working fine then maybe it was due to loose contact of the molex connector.

krishnathelord

In the zone
pradeep_chauhan said:
If the color of the wire has turned brown it indicates heating dammage maybe the molex connector of the SMPS was not making a good contact with the pins and sparking over aperiod of time has caused the dammage. So what i recommend is clean the socket on the card and try another smps plug see that there is no other dammage to the card if so it will need professional help.

i m slowly becoming a fan of pradeep,

man when ever u say , its means hell lot of thing :shock: :) :eek: :lol: :D

akshayt

Wise Old Owl
even if comp boots , it doesn't mena graphic card has to be safe

i am also facing problems with my radeon 9800pro ati orignal

shows artifacts and coloured dots and lines

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
akshayt said:
even if comp boots , it doesn't mena graphic card has to be safe
If your comment is directed at my statement in the second para of my first post, I did not say that the card is perfectly OK. I said that it's still working, meaning that it's not completely dead.

@krishnathelord, this is nothing personal against pradeep, but did you read my post directly above pradeep's ? I posted it half an hour before he did, and I said exactly the same thing, in more detail and also offering other options.

OP
I

idisappear

Broken In
guys, thanks for the reply.

@ pimpom
guys in ATI Tech are one of the dumbest i think, they didnt even understood what the problem is. I have again mailed them....lets hope that they understand & come out with some solution.

the comp doesnt boots....on starting it directly starts to beep & displays the message.

I talked to my vendor & he said that since the Red wire pin is damaged than the card is not getting 12V which is supposed to be the Main power supply for the card, while its getting the 3v supply from the other pins, thats why its still detecting the card.

May be in a day or 2 i'll take the graphic card to him to see wats actually wrong with the card.

I tried cleaning the male socket of the card but its impossible to do it, If this is the only problem with the card than may be will have to dissolder the pin from the card & get a new pin on it.

lets hope that this is the only problem or else it will become a big trouble for me to send the card to the company.....

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
If you have no luck with ATI Tech or your vendor, here's another possible solution :

Get hold of a male Molex connector with the wires attached to it. If necessary, get a general-purpose 2-wire cabinet fan (not more than Rs.100) that comes with a male-female Molex extension adapter. Cut off the male connector with about an inch of each wire. Solder those wires to the card and use the new connector instead of the one on the card. This may be easier and more reliable than repairing the one on the card.

BTW, the red wire carries 5V, not 12V. I have often wondered why those who specified these standards chose red for the lower voltage and yellow for the higher voltage.

Good luck, and keep us informed.

grinning_devil

Cyborg Agent
pimpom said:
@krishnathelord, this is nothing personal against pradeep, but did you read my post directly above pradeep's ? I posted it half an hour before he did, and I said exactly the same thing, in more detail and also offering other options.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

u cant force anyone .... can u ... !!!! :wink: :wink:
our buddy pradeep has his own fan following ...!!!!!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom