GPU for budget around 4000Rs/-

Status
Not open for further replies.

cryptid

Journeyman
OK i need some help on Graphic cards i have no idea which 1 i should go for my budget is around 3,500-4,500 Rs so which is the best GPU i get for that sort of money i want to go for PCIe cards ( i heard they are far better that AGP cards and ne how my mobo dosent support AGP slots) and keep in mind that i also use Linux so the card should be compatible with Linux and i preffer if it is just plug and play coz i feel there might be a problem when trying to install a OS with the GPU inserted into the mobo(i may be totally wrong but rmr i am a total noob when it comes to hardware, so plzz correct me if i am wrong) and does the memory of the GPU have a effect on the graphic Quality(128mb or 256mb which 1 to go for), i need the card so that i will be able to play NFS most wanted and far cry and the best quality and also it should be able to support Windows Vista's graphical needs so please help me out
Thanx in advance

P.S and also tell me which Make i should go for,,,, please give the card's price and features beside the card u are suggesting

G

gxsaurav

Palit Geforce 6200 non Ultra with 128 MB RAM, non Turbocache

john_the_ultimate

No pain....No gain
gxsaurav said:
Palit Geforce 6200 non Ultra with 128 MB RAM, non Turbocache

I don't think he would be able to play nfs most wanted and farcry at best quality with this card as per his thoughts. GX what do u think? He must raise his budget to around 7K and go for atleast 6600 non gt 256mb.

OP
C

cryptid

Journeyman
Which is better XFX 6200 with turbocache which is around 3600 Rs or XFX 6600(non-GT version) which is guess should come around 5,400 Rs (correct me if i am wrong) so which of these cards are worth buying ?

john_the_ultimate

No pain....No gain
6600 is definitely much better than 6200 and 6600 lets u play games at 1024X768 @ high settings. Even games such as doom3, farcry, hl2 run at high gfx setting with this card.

OP
C

cryptid

Journeyman
can u please confirm the price that i have quoted for XFX GeForce 6600 256mb & is it easily available in the market?is it compatible with Linux and lastly i wanted to know what is Artic Silver is it some sort of temperature control thingy for processors and GPU's ???

jay4u

In the zone
Turbocache version of xfx 6200 will use yous system memory... opt for non turbocache if possible......

john_the_ultimate

No pain....No gain
In kolkata when I last enquired a week ago the XFX 6600 NON GT 256MB was quoted at Rs.6250 + 4%vat.
Artic Silver is a thermal compound/paste which has to be applied between ur cpu and hsf for proper conduction of heat. And it is one of the best in business, much better than the bundled one. For more information see this: *www.arcticsilver.com/as5.htm

OP
C

cryptid

Journeyman
XFX 6600 256MB is just 6250 + 4% Vat Man if this is true u made my Day ( keeping my fingers crossed hope it is true)
are u sure it is only 6250 coz on www.ebay.in i saw the rates were around 7-8000/- Rs

Kniwor

Learner
dun look at ebay or get anything from there... atlest as long as u have it around on shops..
they have wierd rates for things

john_the_ultimate

No pain....No gain
On ebay u don't always get a good deal, so be careful. Price a quoted by indivisual vendor so they have to differ. Check ur local shop for exact price at ur place.

OP
C

cryptid

Journeyman
ok i checked in local market and they told me its 6300 Rs so do u think its a reasonable rate???i herd that u get FarCry CD Free with XFX 6600 256 is it true???

john_the_ultimate

No pain....No gain
Ask ur local vendor if the Farcry game is bundled because here in INDIA the cut-out on bundled packs to reduce the price. As for the price it is reasonable.
One more thing there is a new xfx 6600 gfx card which has ddr2 RAM, check and see if it is available. Don't know about its price.
For more information about this new card see this: *wwww.vr-zone.com/print.php?i=2905
With this card u could see that FARCRY is bundled.

OP
C

cryptid

Journeyman
ok i have been doing this little survey bout XFX 6600 and found these diffrent variations of the cards let me list out the diffrences between them

in this first category there are cards which are PCI-e with DDR memory, with dual DVI or DVI VGA or only DVI ouput option & have memory bus of 128 bit

in the second category there is this card which is also PCI-e with DDR2 memory and not DDR, & TV DVI output(no VGA), the thing i like bout this card is that it has a TV output and is Using DDR2 memory instead of only DDR( i feel DDR2 is preferable to DDR as DDR2 is new) but the memory bus is only 64-bit compared to 128 bit for the other cards,,, is memory bus something i need t be looking out for( what is memory bus plz explaind)??? & it also has something know as low profile enabled which the other cards dont have have plz explain what low profile is,,

P.S what is Dual DVI or DVI or VGA will i be able to connect to my TV(for using as a large monitor) using this DVI or VGA option

john_the_ultimate

No pain....No gain
See the answer to ur question in Hardware section. I have replied to ur post there.

And indro did u check MADAN STREET. Try to find as one of my friend got it from an normal electric/ spareparts shop. Strange he did not find it in any of the so called computer shop.

OP
C

cryptid

Journeyman
@John_the_ultimate
thanx for the detailed explanation about memory bus and DVI but u forgot to explain about DDR and DDR2 once u finish explaining about DDR and DDR2(which 1 is preferable) i will have to search for XFX 6600 with 128 bit memory bus and S-video output
P.S
how much does Artic Silver cost??

john_the_ultimate

No pain....No gain
go for ddr2 (DDR stand for Double Data Rate) means two insruction per cycle. Example : DDR 200MHz Ram runs effectively at 200 X 2 (double data rate) = 400MHz, SO DRR2 will effectively be 200x2x2 = 800MHz. So DDR2 is better.
6600 with DDR2 is better than the one with DDR, so find one with DDR2 and go for it. But 6600 with DDR is not bad either( for casual gaming its sutable). Do tell me the price of it.

As for ARTIC SILVER don't know the price. Google for it and see. I will inform u if and when I get any information.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom