gprs speed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

seriuslyblack

Broken In
hi. i've just connected to d internet using BSNL gprs on my pc. i was really thrilled when d connection speed showed 460.8 kbps, me being used to 50.6 kbps on dialup. but while browsing i felt it was hardly better than my earlier dial up... is this coz of d IR device i use to connect d phone to my pc? thanku

Pathik

Google Bot
thats the max connection speed.. Not the actual one.. U can keep the max speed anything u want..

Anindya

In the zone
Hello Seriouslyblack even i am connecting to the net from last Wed(25/4/07) through Cellone GPRS!!!!!!! Mine is RS.199 plan(unlimited). I think urs too is the same. Before i had been using Reliance Netconnect from my mobile. The main difference which i found is that really surprisingly its STABLE. There is no disconnection once it gets connected unlike Reliance. BUT THE SPEED IS THE SAME. DOWNLOAD SPEED 4-5KBPS MAX.

Tech.Masti

Wise Old Owl
You can actually get max 6KBPS if your area dont have EDGE.... this is the max speed on a GPRS connection.....

@anindya...... Then you using a non- EDGE phone.....BSNL provide EDGE in Kolkata

Last edited:

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
No, it is impossible to get better speeds using a data cable. Both will give you the same speed. It only depends on your connection and network strength. Both Bluetooth and USB are faster than an EDGE connection.

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
aryayush said:
No, it is impossible to get better speeds using a data cable. Both will give you the same speed. It only depends on your connection and network strength. Both Bluetooth and USB are faster than an EDGE connection.

I just don't understand how are you comparing EDGE with Bluetooth and Data Cable? EDGE interacts with the GPRS bandwidth directly and hence increased speeds. Bluetooth and Data Cable are just interactive means between mobile and PC. By no means you can include Bluetooth, Data Cable with EDGE in same context.

Last edited:

Tech.Masti

Wise Old Owl
@pathiks, i am taking about kilo BYTES.....( 5 KBPS* 8 ) = 40 kbps, and its download speed , browsing speed vary from 30 to 38 kilobits per second.....

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Kiran_tech_mania said:
I just don't understand how are you comparing EDGE with Bluetooth and Data Cable? EDGE interacts with the GPRS bandwidth directly and hence increased speeds. Bluetooth and Data Cable are just interactive means between mobile and PC. By no means you can include Bluetooth, Data Cable with EDGE in same context.
Uh... you got it wrong, dude. I was saying that either a Bluetooth or a USB connection will not bottleneck your speed when you are connected to the Internet through your mobile because both of them have faster speeds than EDGE. Got it? :)

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
aryayush said:
Uh... you got it wrong, dude. I was saying that either a Bluetooth or a USB connection will not bottleneck your speed when you are connected to the Internet through your mobile because both of them have faster speeds than EDGE. Got it? :)

You seem to be messing up! :)
because both of them have faster speeds than EDGE. Got it?

Why is EDGE being brought here?

EDGE I BLUETOOTH
I ---> MOBILE----> ------>PC.
WITHOUT EDGE I DATA CABLE

Got it?
The text I have typed is not arranged properly upon posting. Hit "Quote" button to see it properly. ;-)

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
exactly ktm, what arya is saying is that the part that links the mobile phone and the pc (data cable/bt/ir) has a max speed which is greater than the non-gprs connection. meaning even tho the link b/w the computer and cellphone is 12mbps (usb), wid a gprs handset the speeds go only upto 40kbps. so it doesn't matter what mode u connect ur phone to ur pc, the incoming wireless internet (gprs) speed is the bottleneck.

Anindya

In the zone
Tech.Masti said:
You can actually get max 6KBPS if your area dont have EDGE.... this is the max speed on a GPRS connection.....

@anindya...... Then you using a non- EDGE phone.....BSNL provide EDGE in Kolkata

I have a 6080. I was asked in this forum whether it has EDGE or not and even checked the website and i found that it has EDGE.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
infra_red_dude said:
exactly ktm, what arya is saying is that the part that links the mobile phone and the pc (data cable/bt/ir) has a max speed which is greater than the non-gprs connection. meaning even tho the link b/w the computer and cellphone is 12mbps (usb), wid a gprs handset the speeds go only upto 40kbps. so it doesn't matter what mode u connect ur phone to ur pc, the incoming wireless internet (gprs) speed is the bottleneck.
Exactly. :)

It was a clarification for pathiks' statement that connecting through USB will give you faster speeds as opposed to Bluetooth. It will not.

Anindya

In the zone
Kiran_tech_mania said:
You seem to be messing up! :)

Why is EDGE being brought here?

EDGE I BLUETOOTH
I ---> MOBILE----> ------>PC.
WITHOUT EDGE I DATA CABLE

Got it?
The text I have typed is not arranged properly upon posting. Hit "Quote" button to see it properly. ;-)

I also think u r getting the wrong side of what ARYA is trying to explain. Actually at the first read even i did not understand but he cleared it in the 2nd post.

Pathik

Google Bot
@arya well i agree that theoritically the connection type shdnt matter as long as the fone is connected thru gprs or edge cos the speeds r way low than the data transfer speeds of bt or cable.. But wen it comes to actual usage it does make a diff if u connect it with cable rather than bt.. I dunno the reason but it does happen.. This thing has been debated many times over..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom