GPRS ROCKING ON LINUX !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sharma_deepak

Right off the assembly line
I am posting this forum just to tell the diffrence b/w 2 OS. One which looks nice and easy but actually is slower then what it affirms and the other which is a bit difficult to operate but once you master it, its nothing like it. Heres my story..

I bought a new Nokia N-Gage QD and bought a BLUE TOOTH dongle. I had a HUTCH GPRS service so I could access internet and for prepaid it was for just Rs 99 only. I installed everything on Windows XP, it was fast and easy just a few clicks and I was through but what I got there on was phathetic. A download speed of less than 1.0 kb/s. I then installed it on LINUX, it costed me a weekend and I almost broke my leg beating the study table but know what I got was a download speed of more than 2.0 Kb/s and the browsing speed was rocking. I was running WinXP service pack 2 with nothin and i mean no app accessing internet when I am browsing. It is not at all affected by any spyware cos I have everything intact and updated.

Those you have always hesitated using LINUX try them out. This months BSD is not meant for naives but last months SUSE is good option.
8)

HAPPY POSTING

funkymonkey

Journeyman
dude i have Nokia 6600 and my brother has ngage QD.
We both use airtel GPRS and it gives steady 4.2Kbps download speed in windows XP.
What speeds you are getting is very low for GPRs.
Orange is known to have crap GPRS anyway. its painfully slow.
By the way where diid you found the driver for your bluetooth dongle for linux?

sharma_deepak83

ITS A PREPAID GPRS DUDE !!!

I clearly mentioned its a GPRS pre paid connection. Customer support says they wont be providing comp connectivity ( example is you wont find be able to access ngage arena through GPRS if u are pre paid subscriber and no app other than one which uses port 80). Have you tried it using it on LINUX. I bet with good config you will get a better speed than XP. And moreover my SM56 modem works faster on LINUX than on XP. MARK my words LINUX is faster than XP, it may be harder to use but each and every experience is worth it.

for LINUX download bluez (Bluetooth stack from bluez.sourceforge.net), install everything of it and then config it through tons of tutorials avalable on the net). It may seems easy after reading them but beleive me its not at all easy as compared to Win XP. Also you should have a kernel of above 2.4.19 (Red Hat 7.3) and with the latest -mh updates.

funkymonkey

Journeyman
I do have linux installed. I am using SUSE. And my dialup modem does work better under Linux. But problem is not all my hardware work under linux. So I use linux as my 2nd OS and very few times.
Anyway I will try it.

sharma_deepak83

GPRS STIILL FASTER ON LINUX!!

Guys well te poor speed was cos of 2 reasons

1. It is a prepaid conn.
2. I was on roaming.

But still I am accessing the same thing. In XP I am getting a fluctuating 3.0 download speed using a download aceelerator plus and in LINUX I am getting a stable 4.5 kb/s and sometimes even iger and the browsing speed is still higher than XP.

nixcraft

Journeyman
funkymonkey said:
I do have linux installed. I am using SUSE. And my dialup modem does work better under Linux. But problem is not all my hardware work under linux. So I use linux as my 2nd OS and very few times.
Anyway I will try it.

Originally Linux meant for server only and that’s why most of your cheap n dirty winonly hardware won’t work. But wait… it is going to change in next 5 yrs… Linux Destktop is coming!!! :D

funkymonkey

Journeyman
nah its nothing to do with the hardware. These hardware dosent have good drivers for Linux thats what makes all difference. We need more quality drivers for linux.

sharma_deepak83

LINUX IS OPEN SOURCE THATS WHY?

Lot of developer from around the world help in devolping kernel, programs, drivers etc. It leads to code efficency. Unlike Microsoft where the code is developed by choosen jack ass's. I think LINUX is taking a lot of time for penetration as a Desktop particulalry because Microsoft makes more user friendly OS than LINUX but each time another Windows comes the hardware ha to be revived for good performance. I am running a 533 Mhz 128 Mb RAM CPU and the paging size of XP when nothin is working is 140 Mb on my system despite fixes in services.msc as asked by the digit. Red Hat 7.2 has a very small Usage in comparison and works at a faster speed than XP. I (sware the god name) get 7.2 Kb/s on LINUX and 3.0 Kb/s on Windows. They should really think of what they are doing???

M

munim

agree with you guys... linux rocks... i am also a fan of linux.
however i would like to ask something...
whats the best prepaid GPRS service available for GSM network (cause i don't want to buy a new CDMA/3G phone)? how much does it cost per month and is the online time unlimited? hey 4kbps is good enough for me for chatting and email.

sharma_deepak83

HUTCH is the best !!!

For prpaid users HUTCH is the best. You have to do some jugad for using it on LINUX and WINDOWS. Cos they say they wont be providing computer connectivity. But i n simple words once done. It rocks . I am downloading on LINUX ( WIndows SUCKS) and it is going at 7.2 Kb/s. I think it should be fast enough. But if u want to do chatting. LINUX is not a good option.. WHY cos there are not good chat client for LINUX?? One provided by Yahoo is extremely slow on my IBM Laptop. ( P4 2.8 512 Mb RAM).. And moreover using this conn u wont be a le to chat other than yahoo messenger cos yahoo accepts a proxy port of 80 or HTTP proxy. Rest is upto u. I dont chat so HUTCH is the cheapest option cos CDMA are costly 1 /min is costlier than Rs 99 /month. Isnt it????? :eek:

Ricky

Cyborg Agent
can anyone here tell me that do you have to specify public nameserver in nameserver option ?
I tried and i was connected but had to specify public namserver then only i was able to surf and that was panic.. so slow ! its hutch postpaid. :(

it lanched few dayz ago in up west ..

What i kno.. when you are on dialup. every thing is automatically assigned to your PPP connection ie.. gateway, ip, dns ..but i have to give dns there manually !! wat the hack!

sharma_deepak83

WHICH OS???

Here are the HUTCH nameservers ...

These are not significant u can use the DNS servers of MTNL or any other one ...

By the way what the GPRS costs you.....

Try to set HTTP and FTP proxys for better speed if u are having a Rs. 99 GPRS and if u have Rs. 500 or more ( I dont know tha price) then it is called HUTCH access and u can sue hutch for slow speed....

Pls post which OS u are using

Ricky

Cyborg Agent
only winxp able to connect, not in win98,

When trying to connect to win98(after getting connected), regardless of setting up the dns server in dialup tcp/ip properties, no site is opening. but doing same in xp , sites are opening.

customer care never told me about dns server have to be specified manually, rather they donno..

Now going to configure on linux also but first waiting for customer care callback as they have told that they will tell me the exact solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom