Google Tip - I'm feeling lucky

Status
Not open for further replies.

koolbluez

Šupər♂ - 超人
Well, this is just a tip, not a tutorial. Thought this b the most ideal place for it. So, here it goes...

As we all know... The I'm Feeling Lucky button bypasses Google's results and takes us directly to the first web page returned for our query. An "I'm Feeling Lucky" search means you spend less time searching for web pages and more time looking at them.

Many GoogleBombs have exploited this feature too (as featured in our forums from quite sometime).
Samples: incompetent... liar... failure... miserable failure... french military victories...
Oops... liar, failure don't work now. Ya.. GoogleBombs have a lifespan & r not immortal.. if someone does search-engine-optimization better than the one who did the GoogleBomb, there'll b a new result instead of what used 2 b the king of the list.

Well, comin to the topic... dunno if it's been here before... but for the geekier users... who directly search Google from the address bar itself, without actually going to its homepage. Here's how to Get Lucky search.

Supposing u r sure that u'll get the page u want with a set of terms... like I want to access the Photoshop site directly... I just type in google.com/search?&q=adobe+photoshop&btnI
Simple.. just add a &btnI to the search phrase. Take care that it b a capital I in the word.

Normal Google search may include a btnG which is the default keyword for Google search. A btnI keyword indicates Google to do an I'm Feeling Lucky search.

Uses... not many. There might b sites which change their web-address now & then. In that case, if u r sure that this set of words can get u the site required directly.. just use this lucky search as a link for the site, rather than the actual site address itself.
Also, if u don't wanna search urself & find out the site name for some product, just pass it on to others as this lucky link. Well, I did it quite a few times in this forum itself. For eg. when I wanna link someone to Super Multimedia Converter, guess what my link'll b... yup.. righto there... google.com/search?&q=super+multimedia+converter&btnI

Well... hope it didn't bore u. It's NOT a tutorial. Just a tip I got when I went thru Google's homepage code ;)

Well, heard complaints that many didn't understand anythin above...

To K[SIZE=-2]eep[/SIZE]I[SIZE=-2]t[/SIZE]S[SIZE=-2]hort&[/SIZE]S[SIZE=-2]imple[/SIZE]

In the browser address bar,
Lucky search adobe photoshop this way
google.com/search?&q=adobe+photoshop&btnI

Lucky search acronis this way
google.com/search?&q=acronis&btnI

Lucky search yahoo(mail OR email) this way
google.com/search?&q=yahoo+mail|email&btnI

Can it b more simple than this...
For both terms use + and for either terms use |... the rest... same as in all google search codes; like -,~,(,)...

Last edited:
OP
koolbluez

koolbluez

Šupər♂ - 超人
A Google Advanced Operaters Guide
Some random searchin gave this webpage...
Exclusively to those guyz who read this post ;) and... yes.. for those who stumbled upon it...

OP
koolbluez

koolbluez

Šupər♂ - 超人
Another small addition... for the Firefoxers...*i110.photobucket.com/albums/n91/tbone92/lovefirefox2.gif

We have our search field on the right... remember... where u can enter some keyterms and search for the same.
Also.. Firefox has a default search within the address bar itself... type in something there & u'll know.
Well, that's due to keyword.URL term in the about:config.
How to get.... type in about:config in ur address bar. In the filter field, type in keyword.URL
The value there is the search done when u type something other than a valid url in the address bar.
So.. supposing I wanna do an I'm feeling lucky search in the address bar.. I've to just change the value in keyword.URL to [noparse]*www.google.com/search?&btnI&q=[/noparse]

Now try typin miserable failure in the address bar :D
Whenever I wanna hotmail... just type in hotmail in addressbar...
It was there in the previous versions of Firefox, of course :D... not now.

Operons, there'll b somethin similar 4 u too...
Internet Explorers... u haven't ditched that damn browser... forget it. Come on... *www.alragom.com/graphics/get-firefox-black.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom