Google plans to buy Opera

Status
Not open for further replies.

ferrarif50

Journeyman
Does Google have an ear for Opera?
Is Google getting ready to buy browser maker Opera Software? That's the rumor making the rounds in the blog world this week.

Pierre Chappaz, former president of Yahoo Europe, posted a report on his blog about the deal, which he attributed to a knowledgeable source.

Opera, which went publicmobile phone sector. The company recently eliminated ads in its browser.

Many bloggers were skeptical about the rumor, pointing out that Google has seemingly favored the Firefox browser as an alternative to Microsoft's Internet Explorer.

Blog community response:

"Opera is a key browser in the mobile space so that might be an excellent reason for an acquisition plus it takes it off the market and keeps it from another company (take your pick, nane your reason) from acquiring what in my opinion is a wonderful and constantly improving tool. You've got to wonder if Opera's removal of Google ads, making the product free, and an acquisition by Google are all related?"
--SearchEngineWatch

"Given how close Google is with the Firefox community, this one just doesn't make sense. However, Google could benefit from Opera's strong presence in the mobile space, where it is beating everyone to the punch."
--Om Malik's blog

"While Google is partially funding Opera through its position as their default search engine, I can't see them buying it. There are too many Firefox developers working in influential positions at Google. It would mean a turf war. Unless that's exactly what they want."
--InsideGoogle

"Many top programmers for FireFox have ties to Google, but the open source status of the project makes it tough for Google to get more involved."
--GoogleRumors

For more visit
*news.com.com/2061-11199_3-5996531.html?part=rss&tag=5996531&subj=news

Satissh S

Youngling
Umm..So Google goes after opera, I feel google getting ff just doesn't make sense becoz FF is OSS and just abt anyone can modify the source and google won't wan't that. So maybe it thought that opera probably was a good choice and this will make opera better by integration with google.

iinfi

mekalodu
Jus like ChelseaFC is buying top players who can make a difference in their trophy table ..... google is buying top products which can make a difference in their balance sheet. :D

techno_funky

da' Ťurntable ruleth
hell no no way not opera atleast
do i smell Google browser
ugh!!! atleast not over operas dead body
i dont want to call opera Gbrowser or whatever :x

it_waaznt_me

Coming back to life ..
Hehe .. Call it Goopera BETA .. :p .. With built in Ad Sense .. and you wont be able to filter it .. Ahahaha ... Long live Maxthon and K Meleon ..!

anandk

Distinguished Member
a finger in every pie, eh ? thats what google wants !
and ya, goopera or ogle is a nice name...long live maxthon !

Maverick340

Ambassador of Buzz
I hope they dont change the name..If it does accquire theyll keep it free of ads moslty..
Theyll certainlly not revert back..
Google Talk was a no show..i hope the browser dosent dissapiont(if they r planning a Gbrowser that is..)

soham

In the zone
Google seems to try something new everyday . The day might not be far when they get their hands on a OS , may be linux .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom