Google OS Goobuntu

Status
Not open for further replies.

cryptid

Journeyman
Google has confirmed it is preparing its own distribution of desktop Linux, called Goobuntu, based on the popular Ubuntu distribution, which in turn is based on Debian.

The announcement caused speculations that Google would move against the Microsoft monopoly on the desktop.

Sadly, this is not the case. Google has released a statement saying there are no plans to release the badly named distribution outside the Google complex. "[We] use Ubuntu internally but have no plans to distribute
it outside of the company.�

Rumors about alternative browsers, such that Google is supposedly working on have been popping up about one per week, perhaps supported by the company's obvious interest in the desktop.
Projects like Desktop Search, Google Talk, Google Earth are however much, much less complex than a full fledged desktop operating system, even if it is built on another.

Even though we won't see Goobuntu on anyone's desktop, Ubuntu has only to win with this endorsement by one of the biggest names in technology, and can probably only stand to gain from having Google engineers working on their code.

source -->*news.softpedia.com/news/Google-OS-17307.shtml

i am soo proud that i use Ubuntu,,, i wish the speculations were true instead of personal use, or they should make another OS for the public, for some reason i trust google more than MS

C

cybermanas

Yup,wrote about it in my blog yesterday.Google has confirmed using Ubuntu but not said anything about Goobuntu.

iinfi

mekalodu
what is the use if they dont giv it to everyone. :(
and why are they working on a new distribution of Linux
i thought they wud make something totally new from scratch.

OP
C

cryptid

Journeyman
iinfi said:
what is the use if they dont giv it to everyone. :(
and why are they working on a new distribution of Linux
i thought they wud make something totally new from scratch.
From scratch!!?!? that would be a lot of work to do and would involve lots of complications and could take several years to get properly established and get proper hardware support,,,,,,,

What about the google computers for Rs 9999/- i read about it somewhere i think on this site itself hope those computers run on goobuntu

praka123

left this forum longback
Yaaron, these are all fake,even if google confirms as we know google.Also Linux can be build from scratch,even a distribuition exists holding the name "Linux from Scratch".

ShekharPalash

Web Entrepreneur
Damn... I was expecting for an Online OS by Google... GOOS

Google Online OS: Picture it like big jump to OS from fundamental GMail Concept ... put Everything online on Google servers, extreme mobility even kill the tradition of keeping a Personal Computer, make Windows a mistake of past... and stuff contd...
Of course, you gotta trust Google blindly...

Goobuntu is funny name ;)

Satissh S

Youngling
Google Linux ?? :roll:
:lol:
GoobuntuBETA
IMHO They will build a LFS rather than keeping it based on ubuntu.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Why not Ubuntu? It is a very good and simple distro. If configured correctly, which isn't too hard, it can give great security, very good performance and reliability. Even if google comes out with this OS, they will never name it as Goobuntu not only cos of its hideous name but also because Ubuntu is distributed by another 'company', Canonical and google is after all a company too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom