Google launched Desktop Search...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShekharPalash

Web Entrepreneur
Google on Thursday unveiled its first-generation desktop application for searching through personal files on the PC and through a person's Web history, a move that could shake up the landscape of Internet search and raise privacy hackles.

The Mountain View, Calif.-based company, which will report earnings for the first time as a public company next week, has created Google Desktop Search, a thin-client application that lets people retrieve e-mail, office documents, AOL chat logs and a history of Web pages previously viewed, all via the Web browser. "It's like photographic memory for your computer--if you've seen it before, you should be able to find it," said Marissa Mayer, director of consumer Web products at Google.

I'm downloading it right now... will add reviews after trying ;-)

Source : Neowin > C|Net News
*news.com.com/Google+to+unveil+desktop+search/2100-1024_3-5408765.html?tag=nefd.lede
Web: *www.desktop.google.com/

abinav

Right off the assembly line
It is good

Well looks like a good thing.
Right now i am :cry: as i have been banned with my id abhinav
Who reported me as a spammer :evil:

OP
ShekharPalash

ShekharPalash

Web Entrepreneur
download it at it's official website.... click on the Web link in my post above or just click this.... *www.desktop.google.com

I downloaded it...

Installed on ur localhost (IP 127.0.0.1)

it indexes files on ur hard drive... right now it's in progree on my laptop...

was able to a file "Vocational Training.DOC".... i'm bit impressed with it... the Google way to search... locally ;-)

gamefreak14

Journeyman
For once, google has done something which isn't innovative in any sense. This was introduced by Copernic. Their prog. will also allow you to search your Favorites and history as well. check it out here:-
*www.copernic.com/en/products/desktop-search/
Btw, it's 100% free :D

amitpagarwal

Broken In
it is very early to say if this program is innovative or not.

it is still in beta stage and they do a great job of integrating search with your internet browser.

but definitely there are some privacy issues associated with it.

*labnol.blogspot.com/2004/10/google-desktop-search-download.html

amitpagarwal

Broken In
sorry for posting the wrong link earlier.

the correct link is
*labnol.blogspot.com/2004/10/google-desktop-search-download.html#109781977609944433

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
gamefreak14 said:
For once, google has done something which isn't innovative in any sense. This was introduced by Copernic. Their prog. will also allow you to search your Favorites and history as well. check it out here:-
*www.copernic.com/en/products/desktop-search/
Btw, it's 100% free :D

i ealso use the copernic thing...it took me almost 2 hr to index the files and i the mean time i would have searched it myself...

hey this is the 3 thread with google desktop search .

:!:

*img62.exs.cx/img62/9472/signiture.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom