Goin Website starting but confused plz help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eagle_y2j

Youngling
I m goin to start my new site soon on a free web host nd there i m getting free subdomain but I m confused a little bit plz do lit a lamp for me to get out of tis confusion------

1. Can i buy a domain name of my own nd use instead of free subdomain name? If yes can i use same domain name if i switch over to paid hosting later on!

2.How to track my visitors my free host is not providing me cpanel is there ny alternative to track my visitors like IP,Browser,OS etc!

TIA

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
eagle_y2j said:
Can i buy a domain name of my own nd use instead of free subdomain name?

whats ND?? i didnt understand....

eagle_y2j said:
i use same domain name if i switch over to paid hosting later on!

yeah its possible... but it takes even upto 72 hours to change a host completely... depending on ur domain registerer...

but has some complication... if u have a website without any dataase, only php / html pages then its very easy... but with database application running, (thats BB forums, CMS...) then it becomes very complicated... many times that result in dataloss...

OP
eagle_y2j

eagle_y2j

Youngling
saurav_cheeta said:
whats ND?? i didnt understand....
and

can ny 1 tell wat i hav to look (specs) b4 buying a domain nd wat r the normal price for .in/.org

Last edited:

tuxfan

Technomancer
eagle_y2j said:
I m goin to start my new site soon on a free web host nd there i m getting free subdomain but I m confused a little bit plz do lit a lamp for me to get out of tis confusion------

1. Can i buy a domain name of my own nd use instead of free subdomain name? If yes can i use same domain name if i switch over to paid hosting later on!

2.How to track my visitors my free host is not providing me cpanel is there ny alternative to track my visitors like IP,Browser,OS etc!

TIA

1. You mean you want to host a domain name on the free host that is providing you sub-domain? If yes, then it depends on the free service provider. However, if you have a domain name, you can also have a look at *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30182 for free cpanel hosting.

Additionally, when you buy a domain name, you can also use domain forwarding to forward people to your existing site.

You can switch hosting anytime by upading the DNS (Domain Name Server) of your domain. All that it takes is about 48 hours.

2. There are various free counters available on the net. You have register and place some code on your page which will tell you about the number of visitors and even their geographical location. You can have a look at Google Analytics or ClustrMaps. See the clustermaps in action here Search the net, you will find many more such free tools :)

OP
eagle_y2j

eagle_y2j

Youngling
tuxfan said:
1. You mean you want to host a domain name on the free host that is providing you sub-domain? If yes, then it depends on the free service provider. However, if you have a domain name, you can also have a look at *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30182 for free cpanel hosting.

ugh! an offer to Digit Members who have at least 250 posts
hmmmm................ for me a long way to go

ksvprasad

Broken In
eagle_y2j said:

TIA

Most Free Hosting sites do provide you with the option of using your domain name or taking a subdomain from them and if in case you switch to a paid hosting, you can still use your Domain Name by changing your Domain Nameservers. Your Domain Name is always your own property.

You can have Free Hosting at www.ilogix.org with a subdomain www.yoursitename.ilogix.org / or have your own Domain. ILOGIX has Awstats / Webalizer to let you track visitors to your sites. It provides CPanel. I have hosted my site www.priyankapreschool.org over there and hope you would have a look at it.

amit_at_stg

Broken In
50webs.com allows you to host your own domain on its free web server, i have hosted my domain purchased from rediff.com onto 50webs.com free server, u need to request for nameserver change to your domain provider

tuxfan

Technomancer
eagle_y2j said:
and

can ny 1 tell wat i hav to look (specs) b4 buying a domain nd wat r the normal price for .in/.org

There are no "specs" for domain registration. However, you should ensure that you have a username and password to manage *ALL* the details of the domain.

1. You should be able to change contact information
  2. You should be able to change DNS
  3. You should be able to approve transfer to some other registrar if need arises
  4. You should be able to have more domain names under one username and password. Its convenient.

.in usually costs about Rs. 649 and .org/.info for first year costs Rs. 149. From 2nd year onwards, .org costs same as .com/.net which is Rs. 399.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom