Gmail unreliable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

ankitsagwekar

Google's Gmail service and you are using it for anything that you consider critical, I suggest you read this

set up a Gmail account earlier this year. I soon grew to love its, yes, quirky ways of organizing messages as conversations; I didn’t have to worry about size; I never got spam; and since it’s Web-based I could quickly check it whenever and wherever I wanted. I soon started telling family and friends to email me there
But somewhere amid all this Google-loving enthusiasm we all forgot one thing: Gmail is a beta project. A painful lesson, as it turned out
I went to get some important contact information out of his account and he got a quintessentially quirky message saying there was a server problem. Something like: “Cross your fingers and try again in a few seconds,” the screen read. For more than 24 hours he kept trying back and got the same message. Quirky quickly became loathsome.
Note that I'm not saying that any of the other free e-mail services are any better. But sometimes it seems that the larger Google gets, the less responsive they become to the users of their services. I hope that's just the appearance and not the reality, because it would be a real shame if the culture at Google is changing so that they just don't give a rip about their users anymore

In fact there’s a whole Google group called "Gmail down"
*groups.google.com/group/Gmail-down

*img166.imageshack.us/img166/5145/1af9.jpg

*img242.imageshack.us/img242/2134/2bl7.jpg

goobimama

 Macboy
I've got that cross your fingers message as well. I crossed them and the next time I refreshed, it worked. No probs.

Anyway, maybe you needed to clear your cache or access it through a different computer...

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
ankitsagwekar said:
I went to get some important contact information out of his account and he got a quintessentially quirky message
I didn't even understand your post properly. Why'd you suddenly switch from 'I' to 'he'? Who is this 'he'?

he got a quintessentially quirky message saying there was a server problem
'Quintessential' is described as 'representing the most perfect or typical example of a quality or class'. Substitute your usage of the word with this meaning and it does not make sense at all. I am not trying to nitpick about your language skills here but it is best to leave out words that your are unsure of - smaller but appropriate words sound far better than bombastic and inappropriate ones. Using the word 'quirky' to describe Google's characteristic of organising messages as conversations is also using it in the wrong context. All I am trying to point out is that your message was very difficult to understand due to these follies (at least to me) and you could make an effort to avoid this. :)

Anyway, I have never experienced any sort of trouble with any Google service (be it search, desktop search, photo organising or email). GMail has been very reliable for me. It might have been some problem with some setting in your browser, or your browser might be displaying the cached page again and again.
Sorry I couldn't be of much help but I did not really understand your problem!

VD17

Journeyman
Yup.. heard about this.. google's even disabling a/c randomly for no specific reason...
i just made a backup of all of my mails on gmail by using the POP3 forwarding facility... and i'd recommend the same too for those who have important stuff in their gmail...

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
neerajvohra said:
yup ..thts why i forward all my mails (gmail) to one more account(rediff)..its gud to keep a backup :D
You used Rediffmail as a security against GMail! What has the world come to!! :p

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
aryayush said:
You used Rediffmail as a security against GMail! What has the world come to!! :p
something is better than nothing

Last edited:

VD17

Journeyman
yeah but hotmail aint givin u that much space either... and its so pathetcially slow... and its junk mail filter is also ridiculous...

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
And it does not support POP3 and the interface is bloated and chunky and their is no PROPER search feature and ...

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
compromise karna padta hai .... but yes i also wud hv liked if MSN had not discontinued the pop3 facility for free accounts.... space i read somewhr that hotmail is also upgrading their acounts to 2 gb .... is tht true cud some1 confirm this

techtronic

I Always Prefer 1080p
I sympathise with this person
I have been using Gmail for about 14 months & I have not experienced any problem anytime

Also it's always better to have a mail forwarded to another ID in case you are expecting important mails

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom