giving limit to each user in my pc..

Status
Not open for further replies.

the.kaushik

œ∑´®†¥¨ˆøπåß∂ƒ©˙∆˚¬Ω≈ ç√∫˜
can i do this..
say i hav win xp wit sp 2 and one administrator account and one limited account.. is it possible to give only one drive access to the limited account.. any drive which the administrator would specify..

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
Why not!

Just login as the user, to which u want to restrict the drives and then open regedit and goto:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

In right-side pane, create a new DWORD value NoViewOnDrive and change its value as following:

3 : To Restrict A and B drives only.
4 : To Restrict C drive only.
7 : To Restrict A, B, and C drives only.
8 : To Restrict D drive only.
F : To Restrict A, B, C, and D drives only.
03FFFFFF : To Restrict all drives.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Thats an excellent trick there, but what about more specific blockage, like say I got 5 partitons and want the user to just view G of CDEFG ?

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
For this, u can use decimal no. instead of hexadecimal no. Following is a list for all drives decimal no.:

A: 1
B: 2
C: 4
D: 8
E: 16
F: 32
G: 64
H: 128
I: 256
J: 512
K: 1024
L: 2048
M: 4096
N: 8192
O: 16384
P: 32768
Q: 65536
R: 131072
S: 262144
T: 524288
U: 1048576
V: 2097152
W: 4194304
X: 8388608
Y: 16777216
Z: 33554432
ALL: 67108863
So if u want to disable a combination of drives, just sum their numbers and give the same value to NoViewOnDrive. e.g., as u asked for restricting CDEF drives, then give the value: 4+8+16+32 = 60...

ayush_chh

Ambassador of Buzz
if u want to hide the drives then create the DWORD NoDrives.......and use the values as stated by vishal......
(this trick was given in DIGIT's Take a Crack Section).......he..he..he..:D

S

SE><IE

You want flexibility? Here's how to get the ultimate flexibility. (must have NTFS)

right click on any partition and go to quota tab, check on the enable quota management Now click on quota entries.(You can add the users there while limiting the disk space and the level at which to issue warning.)
This can be done on all the drives :D

OP
the.kaushik

the.kaushik

œ∑´®†¥¨ˆøπåß∂ƒ©˙∆˚¬Ω≈ ç√∫˜
i_kill said:
You want flexibility? Here's how to get the ultimate flexibility. (must have NTFS)

right click on any partition and go to quota tab, check on the enable quota management Now click on quota entries.(You can add the users there while limiting the disk space and the level at which to issue warning.)
This can be done on all the drives :D

can u explane the quata limit a bit more.. and how to use for different users.. i wan to know it

S

SE><IE

Okey I'll explain these in steps (must have NTFS)

1) Right click on the partition to which you wanna assign quota and see its properties.
2) Go to the "quota" tab (its last one)
3) Press "Quota Entries...", a window will open.
4) Add a new entry in this window by going to "Quota" menu and then to "New Quota entry..."
5) Another window pops up. Enter the name of user to which you wanna assign quota, click OK and then enter the "Quota limit" and "Warning level"
6)Don't forget to check the "Enable Quota Management" check box.
7)Assign quota on all drives (0 where you don't want to the user to save anything)

__Virus__

Ambassador of Buzz
As perfect as it sounds by Vishal!!!

If I have say NTFS partition I wud go to properties security and add the user and give no access from properties...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom