give me reply?

Status
Not open for further replies.

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
It works, beacuse the browsers fills in the *www. for you.
Also when u press ctrl (not sure) and only "something", the it fills *www. and .com for u as well.

ishaan

Padawan
but there are some sitz ware a www will not work such as

*mail.spectranet.com

*www.mail.spectranet.com doesnt work

as the www is not part of the address anymore and we need to go 2 da 'mail' site of spectranet.com

ramprasad

In the zone
Hi
I may deviate from the topic a bit.... but I feel it is an important shortcut....

type the domain name and press "Ctrl + Enter", IE by itself fills in "http:\\www." as prefix and ".com" as suffix.

Eg.

rediff followed by "Ctrl + Enter" will take you to http:\\www.rediff.com

I think the different cases u have specified must be pointing to the different directories or services on the servers. I used to do the same thing with IIS in my personal web server....

Regards,
Ramprasad

hitesh_hg

Journeyman
ditto for *www.grisoft.com (works) and *grisoft.com (site doesn't work)

www is actually a sub-domain..

Hitesh Gupta

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
Well each domain is mapped to an IP. And its not a 1-1 relationship. Multiple domains can be mapped to multiple address. Thats why you have Domain servers. It depends if someone did register the whole domain with the www or not. Hence sometimes the "www" added part doesnt work.

Deep

Version 2.0
vipul said:
what is difference betn www.something.com and something.com?

i m confused about much when im tryin both thwy work as same...

can ne1 give me the answer........

damn too weird answers here..

let me give you the correct one :)

www is the just the subdomain...

www is pointed to main domain because we are used to it...

you can point www to some other place also no restrictions there :)

take this example...

if you have domain example.com

and if you want people to see something else when they type www.example.com then you can edit the settings in configuration file and point users to some other place...say when people type www.example.com they should go to yahoo.com, you can do that... :)

I hope you got the answer..

Regards
Deep

Deep

Version 2.0
icecoolz said:
Well each domain is mapped to an IP. And its not a 1-1 relationship. Multiple domains can be mapped to multiple address. Thats why you have Domain servers. It depends if someone did register the whole domain with the www or not. Hence sometimes the "www" added part doesnt work.

aah...the answer you provided is not correct :(

You cannot register a subdomain...

(www is subdomain is main domain..see the answer above)
Deep

tuxfan

Technomancer
Now Deep truly justifies his signature :D Here's the new teacher :)

I agree with most of what he says. www surely can be made to work as a subdomain. I remember long ago there was a site called homepage.com which used to give its users a subdomain as their free sites. Some smart cookie registered www as his subdomain and for 1-2 days the site went for a toss :lol: :lol:

USUALLY you can't buy a subdomain. It is under a domain that you have. But when it comes to .in so far we had been buying subdomains under the domain name .co.in and .net.in. Only recently has the domain sell under .in TLD has started.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom