GIFs playing way faster in firefox!

Status
Not open for further replies.

geekysage

Journeyman
Alrite, I have been waiting to post a question for a long time. :lol: So here it is: I just noticed the animated avatars used by many forum members run way faster in firefox compared to IE. Anybody can tell Firefox is f_u_c_k_ing up! What's the problem and can it be corrected?

Maybe it's system specific, so here is the relevant info:

Windows XP SP2 w/ .NET CLR 1.1.4322
Firefox 1.0.6 and IE 6.0.2900.2800.xp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519
Toshiba laptop w/ GeForce FX5200 64MB

Peace.

sba

Journeyman
It is not cos Firefox is f_u_c_k_ing up rather it is cos IE and the gif's in question are f_u_c_k_e_d up. Have a look at here and here for explanation :)

crashuniverse

In the zone
wow! sounds cool.
Well Firefox outperforms IE and thats no more a question of discussion.

Animated GIFs, when created, code in the frame delay (short frame delay = high frame rate) at which they are to be displayed. Because a large gif with too low a frame delay will display very fast and can eat up all your system's resources, most browsers set a minimum frame delay they will support. Any animated GIF with a shorter frame delay gets displayed at the browser's minimum delay, so each browser has a maximum GIF display speed it will support.

Unless the GIF was coded with an absurdly low frame delay, FFox will display it as it was coded. IE has chosen a higher minimum frame delay than FFox, so FFox will display a great many GIFs at a faster rate than will IE. Many people that create animated GIFs are unaware that this effect even exists and have no idea what delay rate is being coded in as a result, or don't even specify one with the result that a zero delay is used, thinking that however it displays in MSIE is the correct rendering.

Originally taken from link given above. And at least in firefox u get a nice opportunity to fix bugs ursel (if u r a hardcore coder) else look on net for somebody who dicovered earlier than u.

OP
G

geekysage

Journeyman
Alrite sba, thanks for the info.

@crashuniverse: Thanks for dropping by. :wink:

Comparing Firefox with IE was never my intention. Just noticed something that seemed like a glitch in the Firefox implementation. I am glad it isn't.

I got the answer i was looking for. EOD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom