Ghost~Instals WinXP in 3 mins

Status
Not open for further replies.

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
Actually Ghost is a drive imaging software. Once you install the OS, just take an image. And when something bad happens to your OS, just restore the image. Yes, it takes just 3-5 minutes for a restore, and the restore is as good as a format.
P.S. I recommend Acronis True Image instead of Norton Ghost for your drive imaging needs.

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
@Kalpik I have been using ghost from a long time , any advantage of using Acronis True image?

kalpik

Basically TrueImage is a lil faster than Ghost. Also has many more features than Ghost. I just found TrueImage easier to work with and more reliable.
*www.acronis.com.sg/homecomputing/products/trueimage/

ramprasad

In the zone
Say my OS is corrupted and I have access to only command prompt..
I have an older image of the primary drive (say C:)....

Can anyone guide me on how to install the OS, using Acronis True image...?

kalpik

ramprasad said:
Say my OS is corrupted and I have access to only command prompt..
I have an older image of the primary drive (say C:)....

Can anyone guide me on how to install the OS, using Acronis True image...?
You can boot via the TrueImage rescue CD and restore from there!

Ramakrishnan

The Researcher
Ghost will make an image of the existing operating system including all other installed softwares and drivers. Should any emergency arise, say virus attack, one can, restore the system, in its pristine glory from the image so created. I have not heard of any one restoring the os in 3 minutes. But I have restored my entire system, using Acronis True Image v 9, in just 10 minutes. My image contained almost all the softwares required for day to day working and its size was about 3.5 GB!!. See my tutorial on this in the tutorial section. While installing Acronis True Image, it will prompt you to make a bootable cd. This cd is very important in case of emergency and I urge users of ATI to make this cd.

kalpik

^^ No.. Windows backup is just to backup files.. Its not a disk imaging program.. True Image restores at the sector level.

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
Ghost also has different compression levels to choose from , but i'll try acronis , i dont think it compresses the image more if it does than very good.

Ishan

In the zone
I just now created a system restore point from windows Xp's system restore. the worked finished in just 15 seconds. Do u all think it'll be reliable at theme of my PC crash. Or shud i try anything else immediately. i ahave many important files on my Pc

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
It's been reliable for me thus far.
The only scenario where it will be rendered useless is in case your PC fails to boot up.

techtronic

I Always Prefer 1080p
Very sorry to disappoint u guys, but NORTON GHOST v 2003 is the best backup solution, especially for windows xp with sp 2. i have been using it from 2004. It has given me no problems and it ultimately rocks.u can even take the ghost in a CD/DVD so even in case of a HDD failure, no worries, restore using the RECOVERY CD within exactly 7 minutes

geekgod

Journeyman
system restore restore is only good for those cases when u can boot into windows, either normal or safe mode.
but if u've quite muddled up ur os, or are in a situation pointed out by ramprasad, then creating restore points is no good.
and moreover system restore does not restore the system at a previous point at the basic level(i mean the hard disk level). it just puts in a previous backup of the registry and does very little otherwise(please correct me if i am wrong). but if it's a virus problem, then it will remain in the hard disk.
disk images are a lot safer bet. u get a more or less fresh installation with a lot less hassle. only u need a no of storage media..:)

Akshay

Cyborg Agent
Winxp only backs up ur data but acronis and ghost create an "image" of ur
drive i.e. something like a exact carbon copy of what ur drive wud look like when creating an image.

Also winxp will back up only imp./specified files. Winxp restore service
cannot be relied upon as we have several users here in forum who cud not
even boot into xp to restore their sys. to earlier stage.

Acronis & ghost have negligible failure rates. With acronis u have an option
to restore individual files or the entire drive.

hafees

In the zone
It is not at all flexible as Backup. It can create clones of any partitions, say linux partition , etc. Also very powerful. Can be used to restore OSes such as Windows, Linux etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom