GeoXPlanet now available at Sourceforge.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocket357

Security freak
The project I linked a while back (the one that plots active tcp/ip connections in XEarth/XPlanet) has been hosted by sourceforge.net and is currently available for download:

*sourceforge.net/projects/geoxplanet/

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
Good work there
now i can also my desktop as mission critical control room:D

but just three donwloads is sad:)

OP
rocket357

rocket357

Security freak
@Praka123:

Thanks, man. Let me know if you do try it out how it works for you.

@Gary4gar:

I'm listing it as "alpha" state because honestly, I haven't tested it against every distro out there. And you have to keep in mind that I just uploaded the 0.1 release less than 48 hours ago (I posted at LinuxQuestions.org and then here immediately after I uploaded it) =P I consider this to be somewhat of "specialty" software (eyecandy is eyecandy, guaranteed, but if you look at the eyecandy provided by infra_red_dude's project, you'll notice it has a LOT more "flair" to it than GeoXPlanet)...and besides, this isn't a contest heh.

Thanks for your interest, guys!

Last edited:
OP
rocket357

rocket357

Security freak
I had a list of TO DO's that was quite long...all having to do with this project. I told a friend of mine about it, and he downloaded it, studied the code, and wrote up a patch that will open the platform list up quite a bit (writing that code was #3 on my TO DO list).

If you run Windows, or *BSD, or Solaris, or whatever, it should work when I get Version 0.2+ out (developer discussion going on currently about what version should be next...guess I set a bad precedent by going with 0.1 and following that immediately with 0.2...I should've followed with 0.1.1 or whatever). I personally think the project will hit "stable" before we get to 1.0 even if we go with 0.3, 0.4, etc...but the other dev on the team is concerned...

Anyhow, be looking for 0.2.x or 0.3 tonight, as I have plans to integrate all of the new code and push out a new release (Windows/BSD support + better database integration + a few optimizations).

And just so you know, infra_red_dude, I saw that you took over Mac4Lin, and it "inspired" me to give it a shot and see if my project would get accepted...so thanks! =)

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
rocket357 said:
I had a list of TO DO's that was quite long...all having to do with this project. I told a friend of mine about it, and he downloaded it, studied the code, and wrote up a patch that will open the platform list up quite a bit (writing that code was #3 on my TO DO list).
you haf done a pretty good job in documentation. i read it!! :) the version, is already 0.2...coooool...

rocket357 said:
And just so you know, infra_red_dude, I saw that you took over Mac4Lin, and it "inspired" me to give it a shot and see if my project would get accepted...so thanks! =)
hope it inspires more ppl to contribuit to the OSS movement! :)

OP
rocket357

rocket357

Security freak
Version 0.3 is out now (the code has received quite a bit of functionality enhancement over the past 2-3 days), and this one is multi-platform (BSD/Windows/etc...). Running on Windows is not quite up to par with running on Linux (a few path issues), but it's useable.

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
downloaded the latest release( a alpha tester here:D)

well i simply ran by
Code:
./GeoXPlanet.py 
Reading the config file... Searching for database modules...please wait
unexpected EOF while parsing (<string>, line 1)
No module named psycopg2
No module named psycopg
No suitable database module was found!
Done reading config file
Performing lookup on xx.xx.xx.xx
deleting xx.xx.xx.xx
Adding xx.xx.xx.xx from cache!
deleting xx.xx.xx.xx
deleting xx.xx.xx.xx
deleting xx.xx.xx.xx
deleting xx.xx.xx.xx
deleting xx.xx.xx.xx
deleting xx.xx.xx.xx
deleting xx.xx.xx.xx
deleting xx.xx.xx.xx
deleting xx.xx.xx.xx
deleting xx.xx.xx.xx
deleting xx.xx.xx.xx
Performing lookup on xx.xx.xx.x

its not working for me!

OP
rocket357

rocket357

Security freak
Strange...it should try to use online lookup before database lookup. Perhaps I uploaded an incorrect GeoXPlanet.conf?

Edit - There were two problems with the uploaded package. One had to do with the Windows modifications interfering with Linux, and the other was an incorrect setting in GeoXPlanet.conf (useDatabase should default to "False", but it was set to "True")

Thanks for pointing it out, gary4gar.

GeoXPlanet-0.3.1 is available with the Windows/Linux fix and with a *correct* GeoXPlanet.conf file.

Edit #2 - When you say "it's not working for me", do you mean it isn't performing lookups, or it isn't plotting the locations in XPlanet/XEarth? Given the output, it appears to be performing lookups...so if you know for a fact it isn't performing lookups, please let me know!

Last edited:

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
rocket357 said:
Strange...it should try to use online lookup before database lookup. Perhaps I uploaded an incorrect GeoXPlanet.conf?

Edit - There were two problems with the uploaded package. One had to do with the Windows modifications interfering with Linux, and the other was an incorrect setting in GeoXPlanet.conf (useDatabase should default to "False", but it was set to "True")

Thanks for pointing it out, gary4gar.

GeoXPlanet-0.3.1 is available with the Windows/Linux fix and with a *correct* GeoXPlanet.conf file.

Edit #2 - When you say "it's not working for me", do you mean it isn't performing lookups, or it isn't plotting the locations in XPlanet/XEarth? Given the output, it appears to be performing lookups...so if you know for a fact it isn't performing lookups, please let me know!
You guess it right its looking up & but does not plot anything

will test version 0.3.1 now:)

[edit]

still the same problem rocket
it does look up but does not map anything:x

Last edited:

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
rocket, even i'm facing some problems.

i haf both xearch and xplanet installed. i edit some paths in gnome.sh and its works fine (xplanet as the desktop background). but on running ur script, it doesn't proceed to the 2nd step. its stuck at first: Reading the config file... Done reading config file

thats it... won't go further. upon breaking it (ctrl C), it gives this msg: Traceback (most recent call last):
File "./GeoXPlanet.py", line 254, in <module>
time.sleep(delay)
KeyboardInterrupt

i'm clueless.....

OP
rocket357

rocket357

Security freak
gary4gar: do you have xearth/xplanet pointing to the correct markerfile? Check the README that comes with it...towards the bottom there's an example command to make xearth/xplanet plot with the markerfile...(also, if you run GeoXPlanet on Windows, be aware that there are known issues!)

infra_red_dude: it does that until you connect to something. Try connecting to aol/msn/yahoo/whatever or surfing to a website while it's running and see if it spits out "Performing lookup on <ip address>" If it still doesn't, then something's wrong, and I'd like more info (if you could).

Thanks guys, for testing! Let me know if you have any other problems...

Edit - if you're having issues with plotting, please check to see if there's a file called "markerFile.txt" in your GeoXPlanet-<version> folder. If there IS, then look at the contents of it. If it contains something *other than* a line such as:

"32.447 -93.845 "Home" align=above color=0xffffff"

Then it's doing what it's supposed to (this project just generates the markerfile!). If it IS generating that file and it's still not plotting the points, then please set "titles=True" in GeoXPlanet.conf and make sure your XPlanet/XEarth is pointing at the GeoXPlanet-<version>/markerFile.txt markerfile. Until I write the code to allow for the marker file to reside *outside* of the GeoXPlanet directory, you'll have to use that location (usually $HOME/GeoXPlanet-<version>/markerFile.txt). Currently the project writes the markerfile to the GeoXPlanet directory!

I'll post more as the codebase evolves (particularly when you can place the markerfile wherever you want!)

Last edited:
OP
rocket357

rocket357

Security freak
infra_red_dude: Is it plotting in XPlanet, too? Just curious...I want to make sure that part is working right...

Edit - the README is available on sourceforge now...

vish786

"The Gentleman"
How to use it. :?:
installed both xplanet/xearth also.
command : geoplanet.py
error: command not found.

and i didnt see any windows related files in downloaded files, then how can it run in win :???:

Last edited:

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
In Installation section of README, I can't find anything about making the GeoXPlanet.py file as executable. And the file wasn't executable too. I extracted the tarball with
Code:
sudo tar xjpvf GeoXPlanet-0.3.1.tar.bz2
A small quirk but it may confuse new users.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom