Gentoo Linux 2008.0 released

Status
Not open for further replies.

CadCrazy

in search of myself

*www.gentoo.org/images/gtop-www.jpg​

The 2008.0 final release is out! Code-named "It's got what plants crave," this release contains numerous new features including an updated installer, improved hardware support, a complete rework of profiles, and a move to Xfce instead of GNOME on the LiveCD. LiveDVDs are not available for x86 or amd64, although they may become available in the future. The 2008.0 release also includes updated versions of many packages already available in your ebuild tree.
  • Updated installer: The installer now only performs networkless installations using the packages and ebuild tree on the LiveCD. It also contains numerous fixes for extended and logical partitions.
  • Improved hardware support: Moving to the 2.6.24 kernel added many new drivers for hardware released since the 2007.0 release.
  • Complete rework of profiles: Restructuring profiles allowed significant cleanup of redundancies, reducing developer maintenance and confusion. The difference for you is that profiles now appear in /usr/portage/profiles/ under default/linux/ instead of default-linux/. See the upgrading guide for more details.
  • Xfce instead of GNOME on the LiveCD: To save space, the LiveCDs switched to the smaller Xfce environment. This means that a binary installation using the LiveCD will install Xfce, but you're still free to build GNOME or KDE from source.
  • No LiveDVDs on x86 or amd64: In the interest of getting the release out, the release engineering team decided to postpone LiveDVDs because of problems in their generation. They may show up later—if so, we'll let you know.
  • Updated packages: Highlights of the 2008.0 release include Portage 2.1.4.4, a 2.6.24 kernel, Xfce 4.4.2, gcc 4.1.2 and glibc 2.6.1.
A big thanks goes out to our release engineering team members for their hard work over many months to turn 2008.0 into reality.
Get the new release from our "Get Gentoo!" page.

SOURCE

Last edited by a moderator:

Plasma_Snake

Indidiot
@ CadCrazy, arrey wah bhai Gurgaon pahunch gaya
BTW Isn't Gentoox for Consoles? If not then what's special about it? Which one is for Consoles like PS3? :confused:

@ CadCrazy, arrey wah bhai Gurgaon pahunch gaya
BTW Isn't Gentoox for Consoles? If not then what's special about it? Which one is for Consoles like PS3? :confused:
Gentoo is damn special. Its a completely source based distribution, and its possible to build it entirely by yourself. It has different stages of install too, called Stage1, Stage2, Stage3 and Stage4. Each one offers ability to customise, by compiling or otherwise, at different levels. Gentoo is one of the last "High Speed" fully community based distros ever made that had lots of users and success. It has also got features from BSD, hence its appealing for several advanced linux users. Its Portage package manager is one awssome thing and it also supports the Sun Microsystems ZFS file system which is awssome for storing sensitive data.

:shock:. Itni jaldi. Is it noob friendly, infact crazy friendly :D ??
I don't read n00b Digit Forum Threads (no offence intended) for getting distros. I use DistroWatch.com for all my distro needs. So I got this news today morning and I downloaded it loooooooooong back.

I doubt Gentoo would be n00b friendly. You are better off with OpenSuSE, Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Mandriva One, Sabayon, etc.

praka123

left this forum longback
gentoo -not for me At this time :p .Archlinux -way better and a practical option :)

compiling everything from source wont be worth the hours you gonna waste.but Arch owns! :D .

still ,gentoo is good for learning purposes.

gentoo -not for me At this time :p .Archlinux -way better and a practical option :)

compiling everything from source wont be worth the hours you gonna waste.but Arch owns! :D .

still ,gentoo is good for learning purposes.
actually, gentoo DOES provide binaries.:p
and arch is da recommended learning step 4 gentoo.;)
besides, you can never get rid of the 1337ness factor of gentoo from scratch.:cool:

praka123

left this forum longback
^better to utilize that time to learn some coding principles may be -(me to me :p )

if really concerns ,try LFS or DFS.also do post a guide :) it is interesting learning experience.

^better to utilize that time to learn some coding principles may be -(me to me :p )

if really concerns ,try LFS or DFS.also do post a guide :) it is interesting learning experience.
Whatever you say, for good or bad, Gentoo is always Gentoo.

Personally, I think I would rate Gentoo-Gnome, Debian-Xfce and Arch-KDEmod along the same rating - 10/10.

But I trust you know the value people associate with Gentoo OS. Its not just GNU/Linux. Gentoo is now GNU/Linux/BSD. It supports features which standard linux doesn't.

At the same time, even Gentoo has usability at even a post beginner level, if you choose the pre-compiled install and install software binaries instead of source packages.

As you pointed out, Gentoo is an excellent distro to learn internal concepts of linux. Well, its more software than linux since the real advantage is that you are able to study software internally when you choose compile time parameters.

I think Slackware and Ubuntu are also great learning distros. Infact, Gentoo, Slackware and Ubuntu collectively make up the perfect learner's distros in my opinion.

Pat

Beyond Smart
^^ Gentoo is definitely not for newbies. You should start with either Linux Mint 5 or Mandriva One 2008.1!

NucleusKore

TheSaint
I don't read n00b Digit Forum Threads (no offence intended) for getting distros. I use DistroWatch.com for all my distro needs. So I got this news today morning and I downloaded it loooooooooong back.

I doubt Gentoo would be n00b friendly. You are better off with OpenSuSE, Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Mandriva One, Sabayon, etc.

Got the news today morning and downloaded LONG BACK ???? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom