Gentoo 2006.0 x86 livecd installed to hdd,now few doubts....

Status
Not open for further replies.

praka123

left this forum longback
Hello All,
I installed gentoo for the second time(first was 2004.3) using Live cd after selecting only GRP packages to install using Gentoo gtk installer giving all CFLAGS,MAKEOPTS etc for my prescott.now i am having gentoo with gnome fine.my problem is i need to install net-config and many other packages.Installer copied all these packages from livecd to /usr/portage.in 2004.3 it was copied by me to /usr/portage/distfiles.now if i try emerging amy packages,gentoo tries internet and i am not having ppp rp-pppoe etc not installed.so gentoo geeks help me to install all these packages for my standalone system without internet using available packages in /usr/portage.Since i dont know much about portage.. :)

eddie

El mooooo
There are two ways to install from packages
a) Copy all the packages you want to install to the PKGDIR directory which you must have set in make.conf and then give the command
Code:
emerge -K <package name>
That is capital "K" in there. This way emerge will fail if it doesn't find dependency packages in the PKGDIR.

b) If you don't want to copy all the packages to the PKGDIR then you export the PKGDIR variable temporarily and make it point towards the directory which is holding your packages, like this
Code:
PKGDIR=/mnt/cdrom/package emerge -K <package name>

OP
praka123

praka123

left this forum longback
Now what is those in /usr/portage dir lot of like app-accesibility,app-admin,app-shells etc...and here is my make.conf generated by livecd not the general way of gentoo setup.
Code:
# These settings were set by the catalyst build script that automatically built this stage
# Please consult /etc/make.conf.example for a more detailed example
#CFLAGS="-O2 -march=i686 -pipe"
CFLAGS="-march=prescott -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
MAKEOPTS="-j3"
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS=""
USE=" X alsa apache2 apm arts audiofile avi berkdb bitmap-fonts bzip2 cdr cli crypt ctype cups dba eds elibc_glibc emboss encode esd ethereal exif expat fam fastbuild foomaticdb force-cgi-redirect fortran ftp gd gdbm gif glut gmp gnome gpm gstreamer gtk gtk2 gtkhtml guile idn imlib ipv6 jpeg kde kernel_linux lcms libg++ libwww mad memlimit mikmod mng motif mozilla mp3 mpeg ncurses nls nptl ogg opengl oss pam pcre pdflib perl png posix python qt quicktime readline samba sdl session simplexml slang soap sockets spell spl ssl tcltk tcpd tiff tokenizer truetype truetype-fonts type1-fonts udev userland_GNU vorbis x86 xml xml2 xmms xsl xv zlib"
FEATURES="ccache"
i am ready to have packages be copied to gentoo /usr/portage/.. dir.
In gentoo 2004.3 i remember copying packages to /usr/portage/distfiles dir.but here i dont find any packages dir in gentoo2006.0 Live cd.only a portage snapshot available.whether i need to build using ebuild(which i yet 2 try!)..
emerge gives error when i try:
Code:
localhost ~ # emerge bash-completion
Calculating dependencies ...done!
>>> emerge (1 of 2) app-shells/bash-completion-20050121-r10 to /
>>> Downloading *distfiles.gentoo.org/distfiles/bash-completion-20050121.tar.bz2
--01:56:52--  *distfiles.gentoo.org/distfiles/bash-completion-20050121.tar.bz2
           => `/usr/portage/distfiles/bash-completion-20050121.tar.bz2'
Resolving distfiles.gentoo.org... failed: Temporary failure in name resolution.
>>> Downloading *distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/gentoo/distfiles/bash-completion-20050121.tar.bz2
--01:58:04--  *distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/gentoo/distfiles/bash-completion-20050121.tar.bz2
           => `/usr/portage/distfiles/bash-completion-20050121.tar.bz2'
Resolving distro.ibiblio.org...

eddie

El mooooo
You must have downloaded the CD with GRP. Just mount that CD. You should have all the packages in there. Export the PKGDIR like I mentioned in 2nd point and install the packages with -K switch. The K switch is a MUST or else portage will try to grab sources.

OP
praka123

praka123

left this forum longback
I have a gentoo 2006.0 installed on my hdd(reminder) using Installer script from livecd sessionI have these in my gentoo live CD: a snapshot dir carrying portage-20060123.tar.bz2.I know that this is extracted to /usr/portage.IS this source packages which we need to compile using ebuild.samples of what i found on /usr/portage is lot of sources.

I am saying i already have a working gentoo 2006.0 x86 on my hdd with gnome using livecd's installer.There is no package CD for x86 for v2006.0 .now unlike other types,In /usr/portage you will find ebuilds...what are they..what should i do to able to install them,is there any command which displays all installed softwares..
here is an example package i have in /usr/portage:
Code:
#cd /usr/portage:
ls
--(lot of o/ps)
#cd app-shells
ls
----(lot of o/ps)
I selected bash-completion folder:
#cd bash-completion
ls

Changelog, Manifest, bash-completion-20050121-r10.ebuild,bash-completion-20050721.ebuild,metadata.xml are present also the dir "files" with lot of other related named files inside
also i've got /etc/make.global having these lines already set:
Code:
# Default rsync mirror
SYNC="rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"

# Default distfiles mirrors
GENTOO_MIRRORS="*distfiles.gentoo.org *distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/gentoo"

# Repository Paths
PORTDIR=/usr/portage
DISTDIR=/usr/portage/distfiles
PKGDIR=/usr/portage/packages
RPMDIR=/usr/portage/rpm

# Temporary build directory
PORTAGE_TMPDIR=/var/tmp

# Fetching command (5 tries, passive ftp for firewall compatibility)
FETCHCOMMAND="/usr/bin/wget -t 5 --passive-ftp -P \${DISTDIR} \${URI}"
RESUMECOMMAND="/usr/bin/wget -c -t 5 --passive-ftp -P \${DISTDIR} \${URI}"

# Default user options
FEATURES="sandbox distlocks"

# Default chunksize for binhost comms
PORTAGE_BINHOST_CHUNKSIZE="3000"

# By default wait 5 secs before cleaning a package
CLEAN_DELAY="5"

# By default wait 10 secs on an important warning
EMERGE_WARNING_DELAY="10"

# Automatically clean installed packages after they are updated.
# This option will be removed and forced to yes.
AUTOCLEAN="yes"

# Number of times 'emerge --sync' will run before giving up.
RSYNC_RETRIES="3"

# Number of seconds rsync will wait before timing out.
RSYNC_TIMEOUT="180"

# Minimal CONFIG_PROTECT
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc"
Help me Dosts/nanba's/buddies!

eddie

El mooooo
ok so i downloaded the live CD contents file, just to see what it is doing. i m sorry for not being on the button earlier.

the thing is that there are no separate packages (GRP) available for x86. when you are installing from live CD, portage makes all the packages, at that very minute, from the live CD environment and then installs to your hard disk.

now to install these ppp/rppoe packages, you have to either make packages by booting into live CD or download sources from a PC that has an active internet connection. copy packages in /usr/portage/packages/All while you need to copy sources in /usr/portage/distfiles.

OP
praka123

praka123

left this forum longback
thanks.i manually downloaded a lot of ! packages along with rp-pppoe to /usr/portage/distfiles and i set my adsl connxn.now i can start adsl-start,and net is there,i can ping dns server,but cant get connected!.i tried adding default device as ppp0.but no avail.friends please help me get it right..Thank you All! below is console log:
localhost ~ # adsl-start
.. Connected!
localhost ~ # ping google.com

localhost ~ # ifconfig
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:11:11:66:B6:5E
inet addr:192.168.1.2 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:450 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:557 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:29634 (28.9 Kb) TX bytes:25493 (24.8 Kb)

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:6674 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:6674 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:429151 (419.0 Kb) TX bytes:429151 (419.0 Kb)

ppp0 Link encap:point-to-Point Protocol
inet addr:59.93.35.56 P-t-P:59.93.32.1 Mask:255.255.255.255
UP POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP MULTICAST MTU:1492 Metric:1
RX packets:3 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:3 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:3
RX bytes:30 (30.0 b) TX bytes:30 (30.0 b)

localhost ~ # route add default ppp0
^[[A^[[A
localhost ~ # route add default eth0
SIOCADDRT: File exists
localhost ~ # route add default eth0
SIOCADDRT: File exists

localhost ~ # ping 59.93.35.56
PING 59.93.35.56 (59.93.35.56) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 59.93.35.56: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=0.032 ms
64 bytes from 59.93.35.56: icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=0.022 ms
64 bytes from 59.93.35.56: icmp_seq=3 ttl=64 time=0.024 ms

--- 59.93.35.56 ping statistics ---
3 packets transmitted, 3 received, 0% packet loss, time 1999ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 0.022/0.026/0.032/0.004 ms
localhost ~ #
also i dont find net-tools or? some command to configure eth0,although it is configured during install..help

eddie

El mooooo
Did you put nameserver in /etc/resolv.conf? Looks like it is unable to resolve host names.

As for your second question, emerge livecd-tools and use net-setup command to configure your eth0.

OP
praka123

praka123

left this forum longback
Thanks.is there any need to set router's gw ip also(192.168.1.1)
And i mean "net-setup"? missing command which allows you to setup your network,for which-package needs to be emerged..

eddie

El mooooo
Gateway IP is a must in case of eth0 connections so you should mention it when you set up this connection.
To get "net-setup" command on your system you need to emerge livecd-tools package.

OP
praka123

praka123

left this forum longback
Thanks.now i have gentoo with genkernel compiled ,now want to know how to set default locale for the system.also is it possible to make initrd image of compiled kernel

OP
praka123

praka123

left this forum longback
I solved locale problem by adding my needed locales to /etc/profile.env file
export LC_ALL='en_US/UTF-8'
export LANG='en_US/UTF-8'
but initrd..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom