gentoo 2006.0 x server problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
I have installed gentoo 2006.0 and Xorg 7.0. X server doesn't start and gives the following errors when I give command 'startx'
Code:
 Module Loader present
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
        (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
        (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Fri Apr 14 01:55:06 2006
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"

dlopen: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libGLcore.so: undefined symbol: __glXL
(EE) Failed to load /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libGLcore.so
(EE) Failed to load module "GLcore" (loader failed, 7)
(EE) Failed to load module "speedo" (module does not exist, 0)
Could not init font path element /usr/share/fonts/util, removing from list!
Could not init font path element /usr/share/fonts/local, removing from list!
xterm: error while loading shared libraries: libXaw.so.8: cannot open shared ob
M
waiting for X server to shut down FreeFontPath: FPE "/usr/share/fonts/misc" ref

M

File errors not changed so no update needed.
X was working fine when I had installed Xorg 6.8.

eddie

El mooooo
Did you upgrade this install to Xorg 7 from Xorg 6.8? If yes, did you follow any guide in doing this? Anyways, do this
Code:
emerge gentoolkit
revdep-rebuild -i -p
After this post the contents of the file /root/.revdep-rebuild.4_ebuilds out here.

OP
M

mehulved

The file gets cleaned up after the operation is complete. I can see the file while the command is being executed but it is gone once the command has finished executing. BTW, i am running it in chrooted environment and the file is being saved in home directory instead of root.
Additionally, I got
Code:
Checking dynamic linking consistency...
 broken /usr/bin/xterm (requires  libXaw.so.8)

eddie

El mooooo
Remove the -i option from the command and try again. Also did you follow any guide? Did you uninstall 6.8 before installing 7.0?

OP
M

mehulved

I uninstalled 6.8 surely. Satissh did help me out there. And I followed the gentoo-wiki for installing xorg.
Removing -i didn't help well I guess booting into gentoo will help. Will try that out and report back.

OP
M

mehulved

Got it working. I had to emerge xterm-207. I did emerge xterm-211. And Xserver is starting now.

OP
M

mehulved

yeah prakash I did and don't even think of trying it right now unless you just want to try it for a testing system. It is still too buggy. Though I have to agree it makes things faster but in no way easier. It also reduces a few chenes of errors though. I'd say wait out a bit for it to develop before trying it out. It is a great tool. A tool for time saving and error reduction.
And system of GUI based live cd is way better than the previous command line one. Though it is best to go about with installation wid chrooted environment in a terminal.

praka123

left this forum longback
if i want GNOME DE with gentoo,should i need to download Gentoo 2006.0 Package CD;will any exist for x86..

eddie

El mooooo
Yes you can install GNOME from Package CD and it is available for download from here
*www.gentoo.org/main/en/where.xml

I wouldn't recommend this method though. imho just follow the installation handbook and install GNOME from source. If you install from the Package CD, you'll have to upgrade lots of packages after your very first sync i.e. more downloading. Package CD should be used only when you are desperate to have a working system very fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom