GeexBox - MPlayer based media centre

Status
Not open for further replies.

mod-the-pc

Back to School Mr. Bean !
Hi all,
I came across GeexBox a month ago *geexbox.org/en/index.html. With open source mplayer as its backbone its just a 6MB iso and can be booted from CD/ installed to HDD. I've installed it on my PC and am using it now. It supports winlirc and plays a good amount of media formats. It also supports tv viewing & listening to radio. Its interface is fully customisable and its fast to boot up.

The drawbacks are that there is no ID3 tag support and absence of playlist functionality. Do try it out.

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
does it have anything like internet radio like screamer radio ???? i want an alternative of screamer radio for linux...

praka123

left this forum longback
And ALL Linux distros and mplayer etc are Open Source and they are Free Softwares.reg winlirc-LIRC is basically for Linux.winlirc is just for Windows32

OP
mod-the-pc

mod-the-pc

Back to School Mr. Bean !
~Phenom~ said:
does it have anything like internet radio like screamer radio ???? i want an alternative of screamer radio for linux...
See this message from geexbox.org

"A lot of work also has been done for playing back network streams from SHOUTcast WebRadios, WebTVs or even RTP/RTSP streaming so that you should now be able to easily watch any kind of network or broadcasted stream from your GeeXboX media center"

So I guess internet radio would work

praka123

left this forum longback
@~Phenom~ :I just want to reiterate that All Linux distros are Free Software and are Open SOurce not like this particular distro is.that's it.

mod-the-pc said:
.........It supports winlirc and plays a good amount of media formats.
LIRC is native to Linux and win-lirc is a port of it to win32.LIRC stands for LINUX INFRARED REMOTE CONTROL*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remote_Control
LIRC is a package that supports receiving and sending IR signals of the most common IR remote controls. It contains a daemon that decodes and sends IR signals, a mouse daemon that translates IR signals to mouse movements, and a couple of user programs that allow to control your computer with a remote control.
*freshmeat.net/projects/lirc/
*www.lirc.org/
In their webpage they wrote:
There is a Windows port of LIRC available at the WinLIRC Homepage
Hope no confusions :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom