gee! its a tux!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
herez mah article for nage mag... TOI group...

i know it will appear simple to all the tux gurus here but as you know simple lang has to be used in commercial mag. to so that they can sell :p

please do comment :p

Gee! It’s a Tux!

“Oh Linux! Must be geek stuff”… This is a common reaction when we hear that some one is running linux on his system. But, this is not true. Linux is very simple to operate. A creation of Linus Torvalds and a darling of the open-source movement, this operating system has been a great success.

Linux OS has now been divided into many distributions or distros. This operating system is highly customizable and servers both enterprise and home users. You can, infact, make your own operating system out of the source code of any distro provided you have the adequate knowledge! This OS is known to be very stable and being free or low-cost in some cases, around 70% of all web servers run on Linux. It is known to be more powerful than Windows and is much more secure. You don’t have to worry about virus attacks or malicious code if you are running this OS!

The most popular distros are mentioned here for our readers:

1. Fedora Core 3(Supported by Red Hat Linux)

This is more of a community type of OS where many users contribute their bit. This is known to be very powerful and stable. However, it is customized for enterprise usage and is not as user friendly as some other distros.

2. Suse Linux

This distro comes in 2 forms: Personal and Professional. The Professional version is a users dream while the Personal version is a bit lacking in features. However, you have to pay for the Professional version whereas the Personal edition is free. This is a really user- friendly OS and meets the demand of the industry too. It is widely accepted as the most ‘polished’ distro.

3. Slackware

Customize is the word! You can do anything on this distro! Rated as the best in many user surveys and polls, this OS really has raised the bar. Very seldom do you find a distro which can be used so freely and which provides complete control to the users. This distro can be downloaded for free from their site

4. Mandrake Linux

One of the oldest distros, Mandrake is a solid performer. This OS is truly a link between the two sets of users. It has the graphics, it has the stability, it has the security and most importantly it has the trust!

The other set of distros like Lycoris, Xandros, Linspire look better than any of the other versions and provide the home users what they need. Infact, with a bit of customization these distros give Windows Xp a hard time! Please do send in your suggestions and opinions about this article

Last edited:

firestarter

Broken In
Anand :

The article is nice and informative too. You missed another kool distro "Debian". And another pal in this free operating system is the FREE BSD ( It is not GNU/LINUX).

The true meaning of using GNU/LINUX is the power of FREEDOM. People tend to think differently when they are away from it. I have seen students were having great fear while they have not seen or used the GNU/LINUX. But as soon as they were introduced to it; they fell in love with it. They love the freedom of changing it according to their wish.

They tried to changed everything and they failed but to their amuzement they got support from the Free Software User Community. They love this concept of sharing the knowledge.

May the Source be with you.

.firestarter

OP
mail2and

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
guys this is for a magazine which is published weekly... i am under instructions that all my articles have to be simple and only the popular distros have to be included

@firestarter- thanks for the info :)

@pradeep_chauhan- well if u can install gentoo.. then u r a geek... but all those noobs who read the mag... do u expect them to be able to install gentoo?

vignesh

Wise Old Owl
i have a gentoo live cd.How do get into the gui mode.it boots into a failsafe or unix like mode

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
I have not tried Gentoo's live CD personally. But i think this could be an issue with the amount of RAM available on your system. Check out the min system requirements for that live CD. It must be somewhere there inside that CD.

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
To get the GUI ie the xserver and the windows manager like kde you need the packages CD for gentoo (or you need a good internet connection so that the required packages can be emerged )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom