Gaming mouse, G5 vs MX518

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashnik

Ambassador of Buzz
I have decided to buy a gaming mouse for fps games.
I was gonna buy a 1000bucks mouse but today only got an order for a mid range PC from friend.

MX518 or G5.

Both from Logitech, Microsoft has no mouse to fight these two.
MS laser mouse 600 is not so good.

The info here is collected from various sites, so can't mention the exact source.
The prices are from mumbai, on-phone prices, actual will differ.

Do view flash demo on the respective webpages.

MX518
*img243.imageshack.us/img243/2388/mx5185rf.th.jpg
The mouse at its best, as many users describe. got gr8 looks and gr8 features.
*www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=2142,CONTENTID=10121
review : *www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1776396,00.asp
it uses optical technology with 1600dpi.
it has more buttons than g5
it has no indicator for currently selected dpi level.
It can be used on PS2 port too.
cost around 2500 in mumbai

G5
*img274.imageshack.us/img274/9005/g56ey.th.jpg
the latest and best from logitech.
*www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=2464,CONTENTID=10715
review : *www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1846966,00.asp
g5 has less buttons
g5 uses laser technology with 2000dpi
g5 has 3 led indicators for dpi level (important and very helpful)
g5 can be configured, x axis and y axis independently.
g5 has tilt enabled wheel. The side click can be used as customisable button in games.
g5 has adjustable weight cartridge
g5 needs USB only ( i don't remember but on one forum a guy said that it can kill usb port. is it true?)
it costs around 4300 in mumbai

common points
both are wired, i want wired on only.
both mice have high dpi and it can be changed on the fly i.e.whithin the game and w/o drivers. gr8 for linux users.
both mice have sleep mode disabled.
both have 3 yr warranty.

my questions:
1)will that laser technology make difference in FPS games?
2)does additional 400dpi of G5 cause performance boost as 1600dpi of MX518 is already very high?
3)on one review the guy said that the ability to configer X and Y axes individually is gr8 for fps games. Is it true?
4)being very weak in bargaining, can u guys plz get me the lowest prices in Mumbai with shop name plz?
5)will any of this mouse last for 5 years atleast (lot of money, u know)?

i'll keep adding information as i find.
so guys plz help me to choose.

G

gxsaurav

quite frankly, in my opinion the "gaming mouse" is a myth, although more buttons do help but it's subjective to the user

u better try both, & check which one u like, i use a logitech wireless optical mouse, & thats enough for my gaming needs, even quake 4 runs fine

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
In my opinion gaming mouse is not a myth. Gaming against computer or against beginner humans don't require special mouse. But if u are playing against clans, the more the buttons and comfort, the better. I've been to some gamin parlors in the city and hardcore gamers bring their own mouse, along with their floppy/cd with custom game cfgs! Some of you in chennai would've known such a guy, nicknamed 'Zak', do this.

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
It's not just the number of buttons that matter. When you play games for extended sessions, comfort plays an important role too. In that sense, the new G5 is really good. Also, sensitivty is extremely important if you want a quick-response mouse. That is why the gaming mouse is not a "myth." If you get used to playing at 2000dpi, there's no looking back.

Now on to the questions:

1. Yes, Laser technology is much better than the plain optical tech. It is much more sensitive and with the G5, the response times are very good too.
2. It is about getting used to the high sensitivty. Also, since the G5 has a USB report rate of 500Hz, performance is significantly enhanced.
3. Yes, because you can individually alter the way the mouse behaves along the two axes.
4. I suck at bargaining too
5. I guess not. 5 years is a long time. But as far as the mouse doesn't break down or something, it should last you a long time. Also, since it is corded, there will be no battery issues or any of that stuff.

About killing the USB port. It is partly true. What happens is that since the USB report rate is increased, the port is essentially "overclocked." Some computers will not function properly if they don't support this increased report rate. But I don't think that this is a major problem. Check out the following links:

*www.tomshardware.com/consumer/20050912/index.html

*www.tomshardware.com/consumer/20041202/razer_diamondback-01.html

OP
A

ashnik

Ambassador of Buzz
thanks nemesis for your valuable advise and links.

Any way, I am not gonna buy it b4 12th dec, exams yaar.
so till then, u guys can battle. BTW, i'll visit the links in two days.

Hey guys do some special kinda research on that USB issue I have mentioned.
( I don't wanna risk my system and i'm requesting u guys to do the research 'coz, i wanna buy that CHUHAA as soon as my exams get over).

my system :

AMD Athlon XP 1800+
MSI SVMS6712 KT4V mobo.
512 RAM 333MHz
Ennyah 5200/128 AGP 8X
160 GB Seagate Barracuda + 40 GB Samsung 7200
Sony 52x cd writer and Sony 16X Dvd reader (saperate, no combo)
Samsung 753s 17"display
Sony HI FI system attached to PC as speakers.
and no near future upgrade plans for mobo atleast.

So do u guys think that usb problem will occur in my PC? if yes then i will go for MX518, instead.

Thanking you.

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
You should read those THG links - one of them talks about the USB issue. I don't think it's possible to identify which system will have problems without actually using the mouse.

OP
A

ashnik

Ambassador of Buzz
BTW razor is not available in india and as THG says MICROSOFT Laser Mouse 6000 is way below Logitech G5.

*www.tomshardware.com/consumer/20051118/the_ultimate_mouse_hunt-01.html

From THG page
*www.tomshardware.com/consumer/20050912/ultimate_mouse-03.html
Bottleneck

Finally, to make things even more complicated, transmission of data from the mouse to the computer is also a limiting factor. USB theoretically limits the number of exchanges to 125 per second. If you increase the resolution, only the X-axis measurement will actually be transmitted. Here's an example: You cover a wide distance with 1,000 counts in two seconds, or 500 in one second. But the USB port can only transmit 125 counts, or four times fewer. The result is that the measurements sent won't be any less precise and the mouse will be in the right place, but the movement from one place to another won't be as fluid as it could be, because positions have been skipped. With the first 1,600-dpi mouse we noticed that accelerating the USB port added fluidity and made mouse control easier and more precise in high resolution. Unfortunately, accelerating your USB port makes the computer unstable.

Now this doesn't say anything about the PC config required to run 500 reports per sec i.e logitech G5/G7 mouse.
As my sys is 1.5 yr old i think the problem have fair chances to arise. What d'ya guys say?

Somebody plz give me definite YES or NO answer. I like G5 very much, it is THE mouse, but at the same time can't play blind poker with 4000+ bucks. i don't want a notch lower mx 518.

Can't someone with DIGIT test center test it?

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
Just to reiterate - it is NOT possible to be absolutely certain whether or not increasing the report rate will cause problems. The chances arise because some users say that increasing the USB report rate has caused system instability.

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
Like I said, the stability issue may or may not arise. You cannot say for sure whether or not the problem will affect your computer. Only way to know is to use the G5 mouse with the increased report rate.

OP
A

ashnik

Ambassador of Buzz
Now that's the problem. will logitech give me apiece to try? i don't think so.

BTW i need one more mouse for dad.
It should make the least noise when clicked. u know. below 1000/-.

CyCo

In the zone
use microsoft for homeuse .. it has the best click (tho not soundproof) ....

go in fr a mx518 as that is the most widely used mouse for gaming nowadays .. and get a steelpad qck+ (or fatpad .. google for it)to go with it if u can

OP
A

ashnik

Ambassador of Buzz
thanks buddy for suggestion, but microsoft mouse has unconventional wheel. my dad may not like it.
BTW do u know anything about USB problem of G5 we r talking about here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom