Gamer CPU for around 25k

Status
Not open for further replies.

Games Goblin

Journeyman
Hello! I am new here! I started reading digit some 3 months ago...
The reason I am here is that i am desparately in need of a new PC! My old one's (5 yrs old P IV 2.0 GHZ) AGP slot has gone kaput! I will shortlist my requirements

*Since only my CPU is gone (only the AGP slot) I won't need monitor, keyboard, mouse, speaker or UPS!

*My past PC was also intel, so I am looking at buying a Dual Core one! Also, what's this I hear about AMD AM2 is better than Intel? And cheaper?? Is is worthwile to use AMD AM2 or AMD processors?

*I am a die hard gamer & this is what my new PC must be based on! I want to play latest games @ 1024*768 res on medium - high graphics settings.
ALSO, I mod almost every game I finish playing, so the PC must be able to handle all the extra workload!

*I have a kingston 512MB DDR Ram. Should I use this on the new PC or is it worthwile to upgrade to a 1 GB DDR2?

*The PC must be future proof, Say... for about 2-3 years

*What brand of mother board should I buy?

*My old PC was running on an MSI Nvidia GeForce FX 5500 256MB DDR graphic card. Should i opt for a new one? I heard that i could get GeForce 7600.. something card for Rs.7599/-

*What about ATI? Are their cards better than Nvidia?

*I have a 120GB HDD. Should I go for the new SATA versions?

*Please tell me all the prices of the items (if possible)

*Finally.. I am willing to strech my budget if it is worth it!

THANK YOU GUYS!

Pathik

Google Bot
core2duo e6300
intel p965 mobo
nvidia 7600 gs
=25k
if enuf cash is still left go for 7600 gt....
m not sure abt the prices

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
You could go with the config given above, but the cost of RAM isn't included in it.
You can get:
1. Athlon64 X2 3800+ Rs. 8500
2. Asus A8N-E Rs. 5300
3. 1 GB DDR400 RAM Rs. 4200
4. Geforce 7600GS Rs. 7500 (not sure about this)

You have said that you don't mind stretching the budget. If you can afford it, the Geforce 7600GT is a good buy for Rs. 11,000.

You need to tell us the speed of your existing RAM. If it is DDR400, you need to buy only 512 MB more instead of 1 GB. If it is slower, then sell it.

You will need to buy a new power supply as well. I doubt the old one is good enough for all these new components.

OP
G

Games Goblin

Journeyman
Thanks you guys! I will go to the shop with these configs.I have a kingston DDR 400 512 MB stick. Should I sell my FX 5500? Also, before buying, should i look at XBOX 360 / PS3? What about AMD AM2? Dosen't it support DDR2 RAM? Most Improtantly, which processor should I finalize on? AMD 64 FX / AMD AM2 / INTEL DUAL CORE?

Last edited:

Anand_RF

Journeyman
AM2 supports ddr2.
As for xbox360 and ps3, bear in mind that games will cost a bomb. Besides, 360 is 22k. You're buying a brand new pc which will be close to Vista-ready. But irrespective of whether you get Vista or stick to XP, you can -
Game on pc and x360.
Watch movies on pc and x360.
Use your computer for other stuff too.
And if you live in India, you can't expect to play in xbox live. After all, your ISP gives you Blazing fast speeds of 64kbps!*
*TRAI defines broadband as always-on connection with speeds above 256kbps.:?

OP
G

Games Goblin

Journeyman
Another Question : What is the diff. between AGP & PCI(something)? Is AGP better?

Also, will windows vista need special hardware? should i wait 4 it 2 be released?

My Friends told me that you could download XBOX 360 games on the net (from torrent) & burn 'em & play 'em on *modded* 360s. I am living in kerala & in a shopping mall in eranakulam, modded 360s go for about 22k. Can't be sure if it is used or not!

Although, you can't beat the modding power, graphics & precision control on a PC! (Analouge controls are a bit fiddly sometimes)

Last edited:

Anand_RF

Journeyman
PCI-Express. It's way faster than agp.
What do you mean by special hardware? It needs the same hardware as xp, though the hardware should be latest. :p
You can get a tv tuner card and all to use vista as a media center.

OP
G

Games Goblin

Journeyman
Anand_RF said:
PCI-Express. It's way faster than agp.
What do you mean by special hardware? It needs the same hardware as xp, though the hardware should be latest. :p
You can get a tv tuner card and all to use vista as a media center.

Hm... the shopkeeper quoted a bigger price for AGP ones... know i know the truth! Anyways, the answer for AMD -vs- Intel? Approx. price for AM2?It hasn't arrived in the shop.... about next week!! Is a rumor true that all games will not work on AMD?

Anand_RF

Journeyman
I don't think so. Actually, no game company will risk creating intel-only games, even if that is possible.
Also, the shopkeeper may have said agp is faster than PCI. That's true, but agp is slower than pci-express.
PCI < AGP <PCI-Express

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
@Games Goblin me too live in Kerala
Anyway one thing i wanna say is dun go for 7600GS. Go for GT. Its for 11.5k for XFX nd maybe u can find cheaper brands.

By the by do u know any shops in cochin where moded or funky lookin cabs are sold??Also want to buy accs like UV fan, LED fan, etc...

OP
G

Games Goblin

Journeyman
aravind_n20 said:
@Games Goblin me too live in Kerala
Anyway one thing i wanna say is dun go for 7600GS. Go for GT. Its for 11.5k for XFX nd maybe u can find cheaper brands.

By the by do u know any shops in cochin where moded or funky lookin cabs are sold??Also want to buy accs like UV fan, LED fan, etc...

Hm.... Cool cabs & Led fans? I don't think these accesories will make it 2 cochin now. Next year maybe? Anyways, the shop I visited dosen't sell any of these. I will have to spend the entire saturday 2 hunt the market & get quotes! If you want stylish cabs & fans & can't find 'em in the shops, i suggest u buy 'em off from the net! All the selections are avalible - from cable wraps, fibreglass cabs , neon lighting.......................to WATER COOLING! (I still can't get my head around it!!!) Just google it!

ANyways, what is this I hear about ATI X1900 from the forum? Is it better than Geforce 7xxx?

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
Yaa its way better than 7900GT but at same class of 7900GTX. But ATI has more features like HDR+FS AAx16 nd like. But 2x7900GTX in SLI is much better than 2x1900XTX in crossfire as SLI supports even higher refresh rates at insane res ....nd SLI is more accepted one by game manus..

paul_007

Padawan
Games Goblin said:
My Friends told me that you could download XBOX 360 games on the net (from torrent) & burn 'em & play 'em on *modded* 360s. I am living in kerala & in a shopping mall in eranakulam, modded 360s go for about 22k. Can't be sure if it is used or not!

yes ur friend is right, u can do that but it will take months to download Gbs of data(i am sure a single game DVD will have around 4 to 5 GB of data)

for this u will need a good internet connection more than 256 KBPS , huge hard disk space and DVD writer ........ there are so many hassle.

and the big question , WHAT IF the GAME DONT RUN AFTER DOING ALL THIS??? u will feel like commiting a suicide :)) :))

hence its not worth downloading games..

its better u go for PC, at least a PC will handle games at medium resolution for about 2 years or mayb more and besides games u can do other stuff ;-)

OP
G

Games Goblin

Journeyman
Thanks to All of you guys!! I have finally bought my new PC! Here are the specs:

1) Intel Core 2 Duo 1.86 GHZ @ Rs.9000
2) Asus P5LD2 VM motherboard @ Rs.5000
3) Zebronics Antibiotic Cabinet @ Rs.2000 :
{2 Led Fan & 1 top mounted Controlable LED Fan}
4) 1 GB DDR2 Memory @ Rs.5000
5) XFX GeForce FX 7600 GS 256 MB DDR2 @ Rs.7000
6) Samsung DVD Combo Drive @ Rs.1500 (something)
7) Samsung 200 GB SATA HDD @ Rs.3500
8)Pinnacle PCI TV Tuner Card @ Rs.2500

The motherboard rocks! It offers integrated LAN/ETHERNET Card & Realtek 8.1 HD Audio. No need to install aditional Sound / Ethernet Card!!

Keyboard, Mouse, Floppy Drive, DVD Writer & 4.1 Creative Sound system are all taken from old PC - Priceless!:p

Total Cost - Rs.35000 (Cost of some individual items may be inaccurate - I
wrote it down from memory! *2 lazy 2 hunt 4 the bill*:cool:)

Yes, I did strech my budget by about Rs.10000 and No, I don't regret doing
it!

What about my old PC? The shop offered me Rs. 4000/- If I had given it to them, i would be ridden with guilt & sadness (I bought it for Rs. 40000)

So, It has found a new home and a new user- my uncle.

Games I Have played:

1) Just Cause - MAX Settings @ 1024*768 - No lag
2) Half Life 2 - MAX Settings @ 1024*768 - No lag
3) Call of Duty 2 - DX 9 rendering , MAX Setting @ 1024*768 - No Lag

More screens of CPU & Games soon!

Photos

*i7.photobucket.com/albums/y294/games_goblin/Antibiotic/DSC01331.jpg
*i7.photobucket.com/albums/y294/games_goblin/Antibiotic/DSC01329.jpg
*i7.photobucket.com/albums/y294/games_goblin/Antibiotic/DSC01328.jpg
*i7.photobucket.com/albums/y294/games_goblin/Antibiotic/DSC01325.jpg
*i7.photobucket.com/albums/y294/games_goblin/Antibiotic/DSC01324.jpg
*i7.photobucket.com/albums/y294/games_goblin/Antibiotic/DSC01322-1.jpg
*i7.photobucket.com/albums/y294/games_goblin/Antibiotic/DSC01321.jpg
*i7.photobucket.com/albums/y294/games_goblin/Antibiotic/DSC01320.jpg
*i7.photobucket.com/albums/y294/games_goblin/Antibiotic/DSC01319.jpg

TO aravind_n20 :

Yes! The LED & UV Fans have made it into the Market here! Go and buy yourself one dude!

Last edited:

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
That was a bad choice for the motherboard. It's based on the old 945 chipset. For just Rs. 1,500 more (which you spent on a unnecessary combo drive) you could have got a MSI mobo based on the 965 chipset with all the features your mobo has and some more.

ruthless

Lin Win Mac
Yea Its Beautiful!

@games_goblin- I too live in kerala and would like to know if you bought your rig from Kochi because i want to buy one myself.

@drvarunmehta- Can You PLZ give the details of the motherborad you mentioned?

techno_funky

da' Ťurntable ruleth
drvarunmehta said:
That was a bad choice for the motherboard. It's based on the old 945 chipset. For just Rs. 1,500 more (which you spent on a unnecessary combo drive) you could have got a MSI mobo based on the 965 chipset with all the features your mobo has and some more.

Nopes! a 965 chipset mobo wont cost just 1500rs more ,the intel based mobo itself costs 7k+(7200rs @deltapage.com) with the asus board costing a whopping 11k and any techy worth his salt wouldnt really reccommend a intel mobo .

Ive gone through all this and its one hell hole seriously buying a new pc aint a piece of cake :p for instance new mobos have only 1 IDE connector now usually (especially the people upgrading) people these days have 2 ide HDDs and a ide dvdrw,rom,cdrw now you definitely cant do without a Optical drive so now what ditch on of those HDD's and buy a sata HDD, there you you go you already have a limited budget and all hell breaks loose :p.

Well about the p5ld2 this mobo rocx my sox havent even added a GPU card yet ,the onboard gpu plays NFS most wanted with ease HL2 played well as well.Overall quite satisfied with this mobo.

jz2linkinpark

Ambassador of Buzz
^^: exactly, my friend....i had a hell load of trouble connecting my dvd-rw and older 120gb ide to transfer stuff to my newer 300gb sata....i am using ga-945p-s3, and i don't see too much difference between mine and a 965 board.
P.S: can anyone tell me if there is any ide cable which has more than 3 ports, ie: can connect more than two devices with one cable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom