Game programming ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerry146

Broken In
Hi,

I am interested in learning game and 3D accleration programming. Could anyone guide me through the proper process - like what is required basically by any big MNC which deals with games, when they are looking for game programmers - is it DirectX, OpenGL or is it C++ skills or knowledge on vertex/pixel shaders?
Also is there any good resource on the net which can provide a systematic guide?

Thanks in advance.

rohan

In the zone
You need to know about the APIs which include DirectX, OpenGL which help to render things onscreen. For linux game programming you may also learn SDL(Simple DirectMedia Layer). But game programming is a lot more complex than that. The most difficult part comes with the AI. Also you need to know 3D modelling and all that stuff.

Haresh

Right off the assembly line
The contents of rage are funnay. Bottom line , atleast in india you will need to do it yourself. Start up with a solid base of C++ , move on to basics of WIN32 and then pick up a API of your choice , be it SDL, DX or OPENGL.Plan to do it abroad , look up digipen , fullsail etc.

But here's the catch , game programming may sound AWESOME , its one heck of a job though , you WILL work harder than any normal software "dude" and pretty sure make much less than him. MNC's will definitely look at what work you have done before , make sure you have good demos lined up for them if you are going for a kill.

You dont need to know modelling as mentioned about. Neither knowledge of all 3 api's is required.

Good Luck!

rohan

In the zone
Haresh said:
You dont need to know modelling as mentioned about. Neither knowledge of all 3 api's is required.

I meant one of the APIs. You need to know atleast the OSs API(ex. Win32 API) and a gaming API like OpenGl or DirectX or make ur own!!!

And if you don't know modelling how are you gonna make the models in the game?? if it is a 2D game then it's ok... generally the work is shared between many counterparts.

i recommend going to sites like gamedev.net.
They will tell u everything about game programming n what u have to do to land a job in the game industry.
There r articles for beginners also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom