FX 6800- two molex ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gsoul2soul

WOW... are you?
well... call me dumb but !!! I'm damn confused !!!

HELP big time... I'm scared, i might Ruin the card, if i do some blunder !!!

i got a AGP card FX 6800... now i don't know how to connect.... apparently it has one connector (on AGP card) from where "two Molex connectors branch out"

(does that means... i need to use two molex connectiors....?)

Am i to connect one Molex connector... or Two ?

help...
Gsoul

akshayt

Wise Old Owl
There is no FX 6800. Either you have FX 5800 or Geforce 6800.

Get an *EDUCATED* computer dealer to do it

OP
gsoul2soul

gsoul2soul

WOW... are you?
sorry... he he he

i'm in NEPAL... and this card is a gift from my fren in Korea.. .damn the lang barrier... the manual is in Korean... lol

guess... i need to change my PSU first :D , it's only 300 W

and this card needs atleast 450 W

i mean... i plugged the card and all, and this card didn't even... GOt detected in BIOS... lol

Hmm... i need to juice up the Power supply first !!!

Last edited:

abhijit_reddevil

Manchester United
You connect the 2 molex connectors from your 450W SMPS to the 2 branches of the Y from the graphics card. If then you have shortage of molex connectors to connect the other peripherals then buy another 1-2 Y molex and split the one into two. Now you are through...:)

OP
gsoul2soul

gsoul2soul

WOW... are you?
What does GS stand for ?

i know about GT... but GS ?

I upgraded my Power supply to 550 W.

Now about that... Two molex connector... I did connect both, and the AGP card run smoothly (very happy here)

But, apparently... the CARD can also function with only one MOLEX connection (it seems, when you do high end work, or play graphic extensive games... then only you need both)

Thank you for help
Mike

PS: however... if I'm doing something WRONG, do tell me... :) i will be most obliged.

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl
Well .. the 6800U does require two moles inputs .. can't help it dude ..that chip is one power hungry monster ... just make sure u keep both of them plugged in if u don't wanna take a chance to fry ur card ..

Also .. u can use y-cables' to divide a single moles supply into two ...

OP
gsoul2soul

gsoul2soul

WOW... are you?
huh ?

you mean... only one molex will fry the chip ? (one molex = less power... that can be dangerous ?)

I mean... can that be dangerous... low power ?

Help
Gsoul

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl
Yup .. there's a reason why the card has two moles powers .. less power can cause stability issues and even cause the hardware to fail .. i'd suggest u to avoid such circumstances ..

OP
gsoul2soul

gsoul2soul

WOW... are you?
okay :)... someone also said:

A power supply of low wattage can age, weaken and kill parts. Here's why. The power supply can have more "ripple" or low output caused motherboard and other supplies to work harder, draw more current and likely get hotter.

An ample supply will deliver what's demanded and the dips that don't happen let the motherboard and parts work without having to filter as much. Less heat, etc.

In short, the parts will only use what they need regardless of 300 or 600 Watt supply

okay !!! i shall use the both input !!!

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
@deathvirus_me
todays nvidia cards[dun know bout ATI] gives warning if running underpowered or not gettin enough power. So ther is no question of the card gettin damaged. It could only be damaged if overpowered.

OP
gsoul2soul

gsoul2soul

WOW... are you?

RESPONSE From Nvidia !!!

Hello GSoul:

Thank you for mailing NVIDIA Customer Care.

With reference to your query regarding plugging of one Molex connector to your GeForce 6800 GS, we would like to make the following suggestions.

As we understand from your mail, that your computer system does not report any error message after upgrading your power supply to 550W, we would recommend that you use the same. Since this model of the card requires at least 350W, you must have received the “low power warning” error earlier. Hence, the 550W power supply that you have installed lately is more than sufficient to power the graphics card.

If you have any further queries or concerns, please revert.

With regards,

NVIDIA Customer Care.

So what does it mean.... one molex enough ?

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
sent them another post askin if u should plug in the other also..It seems they had answered only one of ur doubts.

OP
gsoul2soul

gsoul2soul

WOW... are you?
I got a Response from "Nvidia Customer"... here's there reply !!!

Hello Gsoul,

Thank you for the information, we recommend to use only one Molex connector to your GeForce 6800 GS Card to work without any issues.

Please feel free to contact us, if you have any further questions.

Regards,
NVIDIA Customer Care.

My question :

I have Geforce 6800 GS card... with Two molex connectors !!!

Now shall i use both Molex or Single molex ?

Like i said, only one molex conneciton is runing my apps smoothly and no crashes... that means, i can use Single molex connection ?

Or DO I HAVE TO USE BOTH ? (Compulsory)

So what do you think ?

Last edited:

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
just try a lil oc to check if its stable nd revert back to stock speeds. If its still stable then no nood to connect both of them as the problem of power req arrives mostly during oc.

OP
gsoul2soul

gsoul2soul

WOW... are you?
he he he... but that's the point you see !!!

I don't need this AGP to overclock !!!

To tell you HONESTLY... the only game i was playing till now was "Pac man" (flash version)

I use my pc for surfing the web... web designing and photo editing !!!

This AGP card was also total... shocker !!!

One day a package comes and... inside i find this thing !!

Anyways... i'm starting to explore the world of games... and looks like, it's sucking me in !!! WOW !!!

Anyways... it's been 2 days... since i have been using 1 MOLEX... and so far so good... Game hasn't crashed (prince of persia Sands of time... with all things at high... Graphic options)

And my Idle temp won't < 48 / 49 C

:)... is that okay ? Aravind ?

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl
Awesome temps .... specially if ur running the stock cooler ..

But "better safe , then sorry" works like charm in this world ..

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
really gud temp reading....and welcome to the world of games nd there isa lot of gamers out there nd keep up. Uve really a good card. Make max use of it before the technology gets old nd become bottleneck on future.
Try games like FEAR, Quake4, Doom3, Far Cry, Painkiller, NFS Most Wanted etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom