Geforce 6600 graphics card
200GB SATA Seagate hdd
400w SMPS+cabinet
LG DVD writer, sony fdd, kb+opmouse,creative speakers
17 inch samsung monitor
entry level UPS for 20mins
1processor+1smps+2extra fans

I've just bought it at 30th march

Ive faced a hell a lot of problems with this sys..

1) the system worked well for 8 days...Then all of a sudden, the system hang up.. from then ,i am had 22 crashes in 33 boots :(

2) then within 3 days, the system hanged up for good.. when i turned the system on.. nothing except the power led was on. none of the fans including the smps was worrking. I thought there was some power problem at my house .but the voltage reading were fine everywhere and 2 other systems near me were working great.

3)good thing i had a amc.. i called them and as i thought there was a faulty smps within 11 days.. and the ups was standing only for 1 min (YES NEW UPS)

4)i got the smps and ups replaced in warrenty (within 11 days from date of purchase)

5) so.. i thought that all was over and the system was back on track.. but after 1 day the system hanged up again and the same power button was only on. the system was checked and smps was again replaced with a new one from warrenty

6) today(SUNDAY)... the same thing happened.. the power led was only on.. But at night the smps started working( dono why) But after that the system beeped three times.. And no output was given in the monitor.. the ram was removed and tested one by one.. but the beep continued irrelevent to the presence or absence of the ram(S). After some time there was another louder 2 beeps from the cpu and followed by the old 3 beeps... I am TENSED to the core. :(

7) the service guys told that they dono wats wrong as well . they told that they need to take the whole cpu to the service centre to test for 2 days.. I just dono what to do.. just 15 days with this new pc is giving me lots of head aches.... and i dont know if there are anyone with such experience..

8) can anyone suggest what do do please.. i think the mb is faulty... But is it the processor? or ram? Any suggestions?

Also.. if i give away the cpu for service..is it ok to do?...
Is the power requirement unstalble? i tried to turn on the sys without any extra fans and dvd writers.. but same thing happens..

Sorry for such a long post.. But please help out...I spent 50K on this and the result is making me maddd.....
:x :x :x :x
:?

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Looks like an electrical problem to me. Check the socket to which you connect the comp to... if that is allright then its a mobo fault... PS. I think 400W is just minimum for a config like that...

Apollo

"Technologic"
Staff member
Seems irregularities of power to me, too.

I can empathize with you shoegoe.

anubhav_har

In the zone
Check your PSU.. get a 400W or higher PSU if u dont have one.. also check the cooling of the machine.. if it is not cooled properly.. it will hang.. and can damage the mobo and processor..

OP
shoegoe

shoegoe

Broken In
Thx guys.. I checked the power from the socket a dozen times and the values are lying between 220 to 240. There is another system connected to the parallel socket and it has no such problems..

So..400w is just over the line..hmm.. if i should opt for a higher smps what waats should i opt? any sugestions?

The colling system is ok i think.. there are two extra fans and the cpu is placed in a vast empty space. if the heating problems(if) occurs due to the damn pentium d processor....what to do?? :((

The beep sounds comes from two places on the mb.. i checked with another smps and the same thing happened. Maybe this mb problem??

i will send the mb to a check... and a comment from my side.. NEVER EVER GO FOR A PENTIUM D PROCESSOR... it ruins everything...

Thx again

janitha

Wise Old Owl
As QwertyManiac said, it is likely to be a PSU related problem and 400W is a minimum. But nowadays most SMPS are sold as 400W and at cheap rates. The general thumb rule is that the heavier the better. I think you should try better known brand of PSU with higher ampereage for 12V especially.

In fact I bought my 400W one for Rs.1600/- when other ones with same "power rating" was available for Rs.425/- in the same shop.

V.Prem Kumar

Nimda

l33t n00b!
Get a high quality SMPS. Even if the smps is not the culprit, going for a good quality power supply is always good. Go for brands like Antec, Codegen or PowerSafe. Check out ebay.in or techtree for the latest prices.

To check whether the problems are due to the power supply, visit:
*www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/

Ampere Readings

A good smps is graded when it is heavy, it has values of the range 25A,
25A and 20A for 3.3V, 5V and 12V respectively. Lesser ampere values will
result in system instability, lockups and freezes when using high end
applications and games. Check the readings on 3.3V, 5V and 12V rails and find out whether that is sufficient or not. For eg, an Antec TruePower430 delivers 28A, 36A, 20A for 3.3V, 5V and 12V respectively. This should be more than enough for your system..

janitha

Wise Old Owl
You are correct but how many of us will be able to afford an Antec TruePower or a similar Coolermaster? And secondly, who will be able to buy it from a nearby store? It is of course available from sites like E-Bay but do you think the prices are reasonable? And with added shipping charges! And what about the warranty? I have bought things like Antec fans from E-Bay but will never suggest it as a viable option. And I feel not all the sellers at such sites are reliable.

V.Prem Kumar

Nimda

l33t n00b!
janitha said:
You are correct but how many of us will be able to afford an Antec TruePower or a similar Coolermaster? And secondly, who will be able to buy it from a nearby store? It is of course available from sites like E-Bay but do you think the prices are reasonable? And with added shipping charges! And what about the warranty? I have bought things like Antec fans from E-Bay but will never suggest it as a viable option. And I feel not all the sellers at such sites are reliable.

V.Prem Kumar
Hmm... point. But looking at his system configuration, he doesn't seem like a 'kadka' to me :lol: . And besides that,

if i should opt for a higher smps what waats should i opt? any sugestions?
Suggestions is what I gave. I'm not forcing him to buy mate.

OP
shoegoe

shoegoe

Broken In
thx guys for your handful of answers.. am very glad :)

So.. the smps should be replaced with a better one..i got that right now..
But with an alternate smps, the mb still doesnt startup.. the same beep sound comes for 3 times followed by a loud beep two times... i am able to see the geforce logo for 1 sec (sometimes) then the system shuts down after 1 sec... Any sug?

Thx again guys..all of you :)

[EDIT]

I just ran through the technical specifications about the intel 945gnt mb.. it said that the beep sounds i get are related to improper memory and thermal effects...
See this

*img394.imageshack.us/img394/7948/945gnt1fs.th.jpg

as you can see..the two beep sequence which i hear from mb shows faulty ram and cooling..

So.. i need to replace my rams too
:evil: :evil: :evil: :? :? :( :( :cry: :cry:

So let me list the defective ones

- SMPS - need to be replaced
-945gnt mb - probably faulty
-2x512 ddr2 rams - not this one tooo :(
-Need a better cooling? i dont know where to add more fans.. there are 4 total already.. where to add more??
-the ups ( which doesnt standby for more than 4 mins( they say its a 20mins ups...geezzzz....))
-So..why is the processor also left behind?....probaly have to change it too..

damm.... ive bought a bad set of tools wasting a hell a lot of money... damm... what to do? what to do??? :(

The service guys are asking me to give them the cpu back so that they can test it for 3 or 4 days and return the SAME back serviced...

HAVE YOU EVER HEARD OF A 16+ day AGED PC WITH SUCH CONFIG TO CAUSE SUCH A LOT OF PROBLEMS?? is there any solution?

ANY SUGGESTIONS ARE SERIOUSLY WELCOMED .... thx again...

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Do give it back to the service guys. That is the best option. Tell them to replace the non-functional hardware(s). They should do all that for free cos your machine is not even a month old.
Why are you hesitating on giving it back to them for servicing? WHy do yuo want to just waste money testing everything yourself?

planetcall

Indian by heart
Trust me.....dont do any of these things. Pack your box and take it to the vendor. Ask him to check in front of you and you make sure every component is replaced with another and checked. It seems to me it could be the SMPS or the RAM. I have sufferred from both of these. This will solve you problem for sure.

janitha

Wise Old Owl
I also feel in this particular case it is best get it serviced or replaced with the condition that they give it back fully functional.

V.Prem Kumar

Nimda

l33t n00b!
Maybe you should try putting one RAM module at a time and test it. Disable dual channel. If SMPS is not the culprit, then there's a very high probability that the RAM modules are.. if still you can't figure out what's going wrong, then time to take it to the vendor.

OP
shoegoe

shoegoe

Broken In
thx for everything guys...

I dont think the service guys know much too...

I will have to know something or i may get cheated... i already feel that way :(

Anyway, i went through all my computer components power requirements..

Guess what.. anyone know how much a pentium d processor consume power?

Read below..

Processor:
*img116.imageshack.us/img116/4325/cons11hz.th.png*img116.imageshack.us/img116/5210/cons22no.th.png

Graphics card:
*img45.imageshack.us/img45/530/xfx66007mu.th.gif

HDD:
*img206.imageshack.us/img206/9683/seagate2qu.th.jpg

So.. My final Conclusion about power:

*img206.imageshack.us/img206/1860/powerfinal2vd.th.gif

So.. I need to go to a new smps for sure i think..

sugesstions are always welcome..

djmykey

Let the music play.....
Check the rams dood they dont match with ur mobo. Thats all I can tell ya I had some problem some time ago with the same case so tell ur vendor to check the ram.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom