Status
Not open for further replies.

digitizen

Journeyman
guys

im thinkin of tryin freebsd . can someone explain me about freebsd . please dont post any link people caz im a newbie to freebsd . but i have experience in lot of linux flavors .

mediator

Technomancer
Ok I tell ya my experience
Freebsd installation swapped my XP and 98 drives..cool huh!!
Thats true....the installation is quite tough with freebsd !!

OP
D

digitizen

Journeyman
hey i am not afraid of the installation part . i know that i can do a safe install caz im lot experienced in these things what i wanna know is . whether freebsd is as flexible as other linux distro's . can i install softwares meant for linux in freebsd . and is it good in the graphical front . (i.e) eye candy .

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
I'm also looking forward to installing FreeBSD in my vacations. For the same i've got a book from my library titled "The Complete FreeeBSD-Documentation from Source". It explains the concept of FreeBSD very well. I'm like you installing it for the first time. I had a first look at it a few days back. But, i got stuck at partitioning as it was a bit different than fdisk./cfdisk I used to install slackware. So, I've decided to install it when I get more time and I back up my stuff. If you go ahead with the installation first please inform me on our experience. I will do so as and when I install it.

praka123

left this forum longback
:D FreeBSD is not as easy as A RH distro installation.but its a gr8 OS as many servers in www are running on it rock solid :) also MAC OS even have this OS as its base?

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Yeah right. I've heard so much about its solidity that's one reason why I'm trying out.
Tough=Fun. I think I can make it through using the book as a guide.

vignesh

Wise Old Owl
I read the manuals but still no luck.last time I tried went till labelling and then gone.I wasn`t able to label the swap partition.

Satissh S

Youngling
I removed Ubuntu and i'm running PC-BSD now. It's fantastic. But does it have any gui tools to configure my data1 connection. What's more weird is that it detected and configured my connexant Softlink Modem.. Howzzat!!! :wink: Also The NVIDIA GPU was configured perfectly in first run. I had to just install drivers.. :)

shlok

Right off the assembly line
It depends what is your aim in installating freebsd.
If it's just for PC based GUI running on *nix based powerful OS experience, PC-BSD seems excellent choice!

If you are planning to run/test servers, freebsd is better option.
Installation:
1. Try to print-out / save hardware details of monitor, graphics card, ethernet card.
2. It provides an option of starting up X-based GUI environment for desktop experience.

Packager/Server Installations:
1. This is cool about freebsd. All packages/servers for freebsd are "port'ed" to freebsd environment. Almost all useful packages [for especially server based systems] are port'ed and available. To install any package, lets say from source:
a. go to /usr/ports/
b. to search: ls /usr/ports/*package* ; if not found: ls */usr/ports/*/*package*
c. cd to that directory and simply type: make install clean
d. That's it. it will be installed!!

Security:
Offers lot more/better security.

Resources:
Excellent resource management. Uses far lesser resources **memory**, even in desktop environment [**compared to linux distros running desktop env like Gnome].

Documentation:
Excellent documentation available online.

I hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom