FreeBSD???

Status
Not open for further replies.

vipul

Broken In
Hi, All,

1. What is a Difference betn Linux And FreeBSd....??

2. Is It Contain ne graphics environment as linux or what..??

3. Is it possible to install it on my pc with windows. .??
i've celeron-1.2Ghz,128Mb RAM, HDD-40GB

4. Is It widely used as Linux/Windows Or Whr?

Pls help me..

firewall

In the zone
1. Linux is kernel , freeBSD is another operating system

2. Yes it has gui like gnome

3. YES

4. Yes mostly on webservers

:)

OP
V

vipul

Broken In
hi thanks 4 reply me...

But I m confused in linux 2 much
what is debian linux and the same ques as FreeBSD??

Pls help me i m newbie 4 Linux...

flashweb

Broken In
FreeBSD is much like Linux. If you know Linux, you can easily switch to FreeBSD. Commands are almost same, there is slight difference in file system hierarchy.

FreeBSD ports system is easy to install software, it will download and install dependent software packages when you install a software.

FreeBSD is said to be more secure and can work better even in high server load conditions.

I am waiting to see FreeBSD 5.4 on Chip CD :)

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
I'd like to correct flashweb that the latest version of FreeBSD is not 6 its 5.4, 6 is still in RC1. As of others opinions I've heard PC-PSD is easier to use than FreeBSD. One difference I've seen in BSD and linux is the way of partitioning. BSD uses FIPS which is quite different from fdisk,cfdisk or disk druid used in linux though you can use the latter ones to create BSD partitions. Well I've personally never gone beyond that. Though I do intend to do that. If you do want to try BSD widout getting ur hands dirty you cuold try our Freesbie *www.freesbie.org which is a live cd based on FreeBSD.
One more interesting article I found on FreeBSD vs Linux is here *www.over-yonder.net/~fullermd/rants/bsd4linux/bsd4linux1.php.
Hope this will help you out.
And yeah why not merge it with FreeBSD topic started out a bit earlier. Its no use running 2 threads for same topic.

ra_rav

Broken In
FreeBSD is another UNIX modification released under the opensource licences. I tried the PC BSD, the flavour od BSD to be used on x86. It doesn't detect the logical partitions in extended partition. Also the kernel is very very strange. You can get it from LFY cds of oct05.

IG

Journeyman
When I visited the FreeBSD website,I saw that they have a seperate iso for AMD64 processors.Is this the one I have to download for using on on AMD Sempron 64?
This is for FreeBSD 6....

flashweb

Broken In
Then better download 64 Bit FreeBSD.

64 Bit Sempron, i never heard about it. You can verify taking "My Computer" property if you are in Windows.

praka123

left this forum longback
did someone tried installing gentoo GNU/Linux which uses portage as freebsd does?am gonna try but i am not sure about those 'emerge' command etc.also
which stage tarball should i install...? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom