Free firewalls outclass paid-for ones, test reveals

Status
Not open for further replies.

anandk

Distinguished Member
"...The only two products to achieve a rating of "excellent" turned out to be free-to-use software, the Comodo Personal Firewall v2.3, and the Jetico Personal Firewall v2.0 beta. They scored, respectively, 9,350 and 9,125 points out of a possible total of 9,625, leaving the nearest rivals some way behind.

In third and fourth place were ZoneAlarm *smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/_950/upset.gif Pro 6.5, Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Security 2007, and both of which are charged for and achieved a "very good" rating. Moving down the scoring, only three other products emerged as "good", with the remaining 14 scoring as "poor", "very poor" or as having no ability to resist the tests whatsoever. This included prominent products from Kaspersky, Symantec, McAfee, and CA.

At the very bottom of the list in 21st place scoring a resounding zero, came Microsoft's own firewall which has been part of PC protection since the company shipped its SP2 security update..."

*www.arnnet.com.au/index.php/id;159719021;fp;8;fpid;0

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
:shock: thanks for info !

Wrongly said. Comodo 'was' a soldier offering minimal protection earlier. But now review says it 'is' the king! ;-)

Last edited:

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
WOW, I am tempted to try Comodo. Can anyone give me its URL to download its latest version

OP
anandk

anandk

Distinguished Member
also what i'v been saying...kaspersky fw is the pits ! za ranking was a surprise !

while on comodo, check my thread dont instal Comodo Anti-Virus !!!

Last edited:
OP
anandk

anandk

Distinguished Member
my kis flunked the firewall test of *www.pcflank.com/ :-(
i ran the quicktest here. always said kaspersky fw is the pitts !

but it passed the fw test of *www.auditmypc.com/freescan/scanoptions.asp

u can test ur firewall effectiveness on both these known good sites.

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
^^ Yes, both are very different products. Comodo AV is just a waste of time but their firewall is stellar!

Aberforth

The Internationalist
Thanks for this thread. I just realised I have been behind times with Zone Alarm, Comodo firewall simply rocks. :D

techtronic

I Always Prefer 1080p
Anybody who knows and has a complete picture of a firewall (Working Mechanism and Info about Ports) can protect his machine with Windows XP SP 2 Firewall itself

I have been using Windows XP SP 2 Firewall :) for about two years now and also use AVG Antivirus Free Edition:)

Till date,I have not got any problems with respect to Adware,Spyware or Malware

NucleusKore

TheSaint
techtronic said:
.....Till date,I have not got any problems with respect to Adware,Spyware or Malware
Have you ever scanned your pc with any other anti virus scanner such as HouseCall?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom