FOSS workshop at GSI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aijaz Akhtar

Journeyman
Dear all
The workshop at my office (GSI) at Hyderabad on Free and Open Software (FOSS)between May 17 and 18th went very well.
It was inaugurated by the Principal Secretary, IT, Govt. of AP, Hyderabad Dr. Mohanty who explained use of Linux in AP Government. Besides GSI, representatives of Salim Ali Institute of Orinthology and FSF-India too were present and peresented their papers.
Though I could bot present my pet presentation on Linux localisation in Indic languages (besides one more on Publishing in FOSS) but the Organising Committee selected another of mine, regarding eyes candy of Gnu/Linux. (the topic was "the Myth of Gnu/Linux being User Unfriendly"). I still felt happy, rather elated as many people recalled my own contribution towards spreading the computing knowledge, my campaign against piracy and promoting FOSS and Linux. And this included Mr. Kiran Chandra of Fee Software Foundation who spoke on the dias that he knew me through IndLinux. After the main workshop, there was hands on available in a lab where people could see installation of Mandrake 10.1 and PCQLinux 2005, and also Grass 6.1. I had taken my multilingual laptop too to showcase Hindi and Bengali (Arabic and Persian too but this is irrelevent here) interfaces. Though I found that Indic l10n was better in PCQLinux 2005, both in KDE and Gnome. It was happy to note that GSI is now coming forward in embracing FOSS. We also distributed OpenOffice 2.00 Beta (though for Win) to all besides Grass 6.1.
Regards
Aijaz

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
Aijaz Akhtar said:
...... And this included Mr. Kiran Chandra of Fee Software Foundation who spoke on the dias that he knew me through IndLinux......

You meant to say Free Software Foundation :D

firewall

In the zone
hi Aijaz,

Any url containing more information on that event. I want to refer my forum members there.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom