Formatting the Lappy

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshi_ban

Broken In
Dear Friends,

I have IBM Notebook. It doesnt has any CD rom and it doesnt has any partation.
Why i m stating this is because i want to format my Laptop. I m facing some problem with my Win XP, so i want to format and re-install the operating system

Can u guys please help me how to format my lappy (as i dont have any CD rom)

Last edited:

Sourabh

Laptoping
Mentioning the thinkpad model would have been a good idea. Please check if your laptop supports boot from USB hdd/cdrom here. Most newer laptops do. All you have to do is select that option from BIOS.

If it does you need to get hold of an external optical drive, boot from it and install windows.

If not, does the thinkpad have a floppy drive? You can use a pen drive to save the XP installation files somewhere on the hdd (FAT32) and then boot from the floppy disk and begin installation.

If these are not possible, you will have to remove the existing hdd from the thinkpad. Install XP from some other laptop on it and then put it back.

OP
joshi_ban

joshi_ban

Broken In
thank you friends.

well booting from the USB is a good idea. but please let me know, how to make a start up disk in USB flash Drive? can i copy all the installation file in USB drive and install it???

can u please explain hoe to do this? this will be a great help to me. have a nice time

thanks

Pathik

Google Bot
if ur lappy doesnt even hv a cdrom... i doubt its mobo ll support booting 4m usb.. Btw wich model is it??

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
the IBM lappy's back then(1998 -99 ) Came with an external IBM USB CD Drive & IBM usb Floppy drive.

have you lost them? :confused:

try get that one (or similar) & it'll definetly be worth it.

Crazy Kidd

In the zone
Well you don't have any CD ROM and you have Win xp running. So it can'tbe older than 2002. Then how come you don't have any CD ROM. If you don't have any CD ROM then Even if you manage to format the Lappy then there is no way you can install the OS again.

So only solution is External CD ROM. Go get yourself one.

And post a pic of your lappy. It will be interesting to see it.

ajayashish

Living to Succeed
Crazy Kidd said:
Well you don't have any CD ROM and you have Win xp running. So it can'tbe older than 2002. Then how come you don't have any CD ROM. If you don't have any CD ROM then Even if you manage to format the Lappy then there is no way you can install the OS again.

So only solution is External CD ROM. Go get yourself one.

And post a pic of your lappy. It will be interesting to see it.

Nothing that interesting.... the OS must be preinstalled by the seller and they used an esternal CD rom and took that out after installing OS

alsiladka

Noobie Pro
Update your Lappy's BIOS. IBM has a tool which updates your Systems Drivers and IBM Softwares.

Then try to Boot using a USB Drive or Check if your new BIOS Supports it.

*www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd-on-usb-disk
Dowload Hirens Boot CD from the Internet. Using the guide on this page, Create a bootable USB Drive. Boot using the USB drive, it has loads of apps. There are even formatting apps.

After formatting , then you can Install XP from the files stored on your hard disk.

Can someone post the guidelines to Start the Installation through the DOS Mode using the setup files stored on your hard disk.

OP
joshi_ban

joshi_ban

Broken In
thank u guys for ur reply. well Booting from the USB is ok, but i can install from the HDD, as i have only 1 Partation. CAN i install from the USB???

And talking about the USB or USB CDROM, after formatiing the system, will the USB function?

If yes then may be i can buy a new USB CD rom.

Bye the way, the year of Manufacture is 2002.

Pathik

Google Bot
yup after formatting u ll jus need to reinstall the usb cd rom drivers.. Usb drivers r inbuilt in xp.. Jus Plug n play

alsiladka

Noobie Pro
You can go for Transcend pen drives, they are value for money. I bough a 2gb pen drive for Rs.1500 in pune 3 weeks back, and just a few days ago, my cousine said that it is available for Rs.1250 in nagpur. Even you could go for tht.

OP
joshi_ban

joshi_ban

Broken In
Thanks Guys

while going online,

the sub net mask shows 255.255.225.255

isnt it supposed to be 255.255.225.0, can u guys throw light on this

i think it is because of Virus

Last edited:

Pathik

Google Bot
the subnet mask is supposed to be 255.255.255.0 only in a lan conn.. Other than that u dont need to use it i think

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom