formatting the computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

adiit007

Broken In
i have only win xp installed on my computer. I want to know how to format the computer & create xtra drives(currently i have 2 drives-c & d)
thankzzzzzzzz

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
*www.terabyteunlimited.com/

BOOT IT NG is the answer... and u dont even need to format ur pc!!! just download this software... use the program... create a bootable floppy using this....

it will boot into the BOOTIT NG thing...

and u can resize ur disks...

now u'll have some free space.... after resizing

create partitions.. as many as u want!

and that too without losing data!!!

as a precaution... pls backup ur data

geek_rohit

In the zone
Hey don't format your drive often as it reduces the hard disk life's and its capability to store data. If you have to format use the quickformat command. If you choose the Quick format option, format removes files from the partition, but does not scan the disk for bad sectors. Only use this option if your hard disk has been previously formatted and you are sure that your hard disk is not damaged. This process is also very fast and takes just some few seconds. :idea:

theraven

Technomancer
Hey don't format your drive often as it reduces the hard disk life's and its capability to store data.
who in heavens name told u that ?
If you choose the Quick format option, format removes files from the partition, but does not scan the disk for bad sectors.
i tink ur mixed up with the scandisk modes

Partition Magic it is

geek_rohit

In the zone
Well theKonqueror, check this *www.symantec.com/partitionmagic/!

As for theraven keep formatting your hard drive & u will find out the consequences, I have read in the Partition Magic's manual. And many of my friends have told me too. Ask any hardware technician.

theraven

Technomancer
sure
any hardware technitian who wouldnt know sh!t abt formatting
one who wont keep an hdd past its warranty period
DEFINTIELY !
that would make a lot of sense

alib_i

Cyborg Agent
@rohit ..
you are just overly sensitive over the issue of formatting ..

from the way you say ..
even writing or deleting any file on hard disk will reduce hard disk's life ..
formatting very often can reduce HDD's life .. but that doesnt mean you simply shud'nt format ever

-----
alibi

chetan331

Right off the assembly line
[/quote]Hey don't format your drive often as it reduces the hard disk life's and its capability to store data[/quote]
Now how does this happen? I've heard this thing from many people

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
chetan331 said:
Hey don't format your drive often as it reduces the hard disk life's and its capability to store data
Now how does this happen? I've heard this thing from many people
Maybe those people vaguely heard about low-level formatting which is certainly very stressful and should be done only when absolutely necessary. The usual logical formatting is much less stressful.

Regarding normal formatting, this is one of those half-truths that you can neither accept nor disregard totally. Another example of a half-truth is this : Some people advocate NEVER turning off a computer because many of the components suffer some extra stress during the first few seconds of powering on. While this is undeniably true, those same components and others are under continuous (if less) stress while running.

Take a hard disk as an example. If you run your computer 24/7, the platter bearings will wear out more quickly than if you run it 5 hrs a day, and the chips and capacitors will have to endure continuous heating and electrical stress. OTOH, they will suffer fewer surge currents and fewer thermal (heating-cooling) cycles that can cause material fatigue and eventual failure.

So which one is preferable - always on or regular on-off cycle ? IMHO, an intelligent compromise is best. That is, don't turn off your computer for short idle periods such as having dinner, but don't leave it on the whole day while you're away at work.

The R/W head of a HDD goes through a longer continuous stress while formatting than during a normal read-write process. Also, all individual sectors of the magnetic coating on a platter are subjected to the magnetisation cycle. But few people are going to format their HDDs everyday or even every week or month, so an occasional formatting once in a while will not appreciably shorten its life.

BTW, it's a good idea to give your HDD a chance to cool down for a while after a full format or after copying several GBs of data.

aadipa

Padawan
geek_rohit said:
Hey don't format your drive often as it reduces the hard disk life's and its capability to store data

don't make jokes. then my hdd'd life and size should go in negatives :p

it_waaznt_me

Coming back to life ..
Hmm.. I think I m posting it for third time .. Cauz I cant find the old post .. :( ..

Anyways.. Format in no way can harm your harddisk .. When you use the Format utility it just recreates the File Allocation Table of your drive so the old data adress is lost ..

And yeah... The low level format aka Zero Fill may put stress on the drive but it wont damage the drive too ...

geek_rohit

In the zone
Well guys you aren't taking it seriously. Read this. If this is not enough let me get the partition magic manual. Then will show you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom