Formatting single partion on a Dual boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

keves2002

I am having a dual OS in my system, winxp on "D" & win98 on "C", As win98 is correpted & i dont wanna use it any more, i am planning to format that partition, So please advice me vat i have to do in step-by-step.

* Is there any way to do this without using any 3rd party softwares

* i am using winxp Now, As win98 is corrpted & its not bootable now, please advice me considering this factor.

Thanx in advance

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
There r 2 options for U!

1.) Delete all files/folders from C: Drive except following 3 files:

ntldr
ntdetect.com
boot.ini

PS: All these 3 files will be HIDDEN.

Now Edit BOOT.INI file in Notepad (Remove the READ-ONLY option from its properties), and remove the line saying "C:\Windows" and make the "Default" to WinXP Entry, ur file's contents will look like following after editing:

Code:
[boot loader]
timeout=0
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows" /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN /FASTDETECT

2.) Format ur C: drive but after that u'll not be able to boot into XP coz the Boot loader will be gone! so boot using XP Setup CD and enter into recovery console and give following commands:

fixboot
bootcfg /rebuild

OP
K

keves2002

Thanx 4 the reply, If i want to go with the 2nd option , how will i do that, As the drive is having the Os, i am not able to format with the "Disk Management Tool", So in this case how can i perform the Formatting of that Drive only

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
As u mentioned u hv win 98 installed on C:, so I'm assuming u hv win 98 Setup CD and the C: drive is FAT32.

So boot using 98 CD and enter into DOS and give following command:

format c:

n2casey

Super Hero - Super Powers
U can also use WinXP bootable CD to format the partition (i.e. C:)

Just follow these steps.

1. Boot with WinXP CD and setup will be started. When U will be asked to repair ur existing WinXP, choose new installation.
2. When U will be asked for a partition to install WinXP, choose C:
3. Now U will b asked to format the partition, so format it selecting
Quick format with FAT32 (for FAT32 partition)
or
Quick format with NTFS (for NTFS partition)
5. Partition wil b formatted, & ur partition will b checked for errors. As U see the msg "Creating List of Files....." , just restart ur system.
6. Again boot with ur WinXP CD, enter into recovery console & give following commands:

fixboot
bootcfg /rebuild

That's all. Safe & quick method of formatting a partition.

slagad

Broken In
All above suggestion are very good, however if you have the time re-install your Xp to C:, as it is advisable.

OP
K

keves2002

@Vishal Gupta & n2casey

ok, i will try to do it with win98 setup CD, but can please explain how to reach the Dos promnt after inserting the CD, As i never used DOS before.

One more problem i am facing rt now with the "Recovery Console", i installed the Recovery console to the system as per the instructions in this month's "Digit" [page 98], But the problem is when i try to logon to the "OS" thru the Recovery Console its saying "invalid password", but at the same time i am able to logon to the "OS" as "Administrator" [with the same password].

*What is really happening ?

*How can i verify my "Admin" account is a genuine Admin Account [ i have a doubt that may be just the Name as "Admin" & it doesnt have the power of an "Admin" Account.

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
YES!

ur "Admin" account is not the original "Administrator" account!

Actually, when the windows installed on ur comp, a new user "Admin" was created. So there should be another account "Administrator" in ur system.

Open "User Accounts" in Control Panel and check there, if "Administrator" account exist or not? If it exists then just change its password if ur "Admin" account has admin privileges.

And regarding to DOS, just boot using 98 CD and it'll ask u 3 options, like start with CD ROM support, Start without CD ROM support, etc.

Just select 1st option and then it'll let u to DOS prompt. Then type following command to format C: Drive:

format c:

n2casey

Super Hero - Super Powers
Ya. Vishal is right. Do as he told.
just one another thing, after formatting ur partition in, don't forget to check it (using 'chkdsk') for damages coz formatting in DOS is full format & sometimes it can result in bad sectors.
If U have ne prob, just try to format with WinXP CD (i.e. quick format), it is more safe coz it is not full format.

rollcage

AMD user for 9 yrs!!
I had a similar prob, in august
I installed FC5 on F: .. than just formated the drive f:
..then i couldnt boot in C: which has winxp_sp2 pro
so i went here n there .. than qwerty_manic told me to use WinXP Boot Cd .. and go to recoveryconsole .. run fixmbr .. then all was fine

@vishal I want to ask you something this may be little off topic but related
(shall I post in new topic)

I use a 2.5" 80GB external USB 2.0, it works fine with all computers including my laptop. but when I plugged it to desktop (A64, asus k8n,512mb) ..
1.it said plug to usb 2.0 for better speeds, and
2.after sometime it said harddisk is not usable,
now in laptop too i cant see the drive.
so opened the laptop harddisk out, put the external harddisk in it.
then used the boot cd .. to fixmbr , n wrote boot again
i was able to use it again
but
<this whole thing has happened twice> :(

so now i am not pluggin it to that

I sent the motherboard to asus .. they say its fine & returned after a week

motherboard is back .. but havnt installed it yet!

Any comments :(

Last edited:
OP
K

keves2002

@Vishal Gupta

still i am facing the problem, i checked the account , its "Administrator" account only, but the problem is i am not able to logon to the "Recovery consloe" using the same "password", by which i logon to the "Administrator" account, so in this what i will do , please advice, i even changed the password, but it doesn't worked out.

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
OK! Try this:

In registry, goto:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Setup\RecoveryConsole

If this key is not there, then create it, and in right-side pane create a new DWORD value SecurityLevel and set its value to 1

Now enter into Recovery Console, it should not ask u password :)

OP
K

keves2002

As Friday is a holiday here in Dubai, i will try this onlyon saturday,[pc is in office ],surely i will let u know the result.

OP
K

keves2002

Sori 4 the delay, As "sterday" was the 1st day after the weekend, I was little busy

@Vishal Gupta
I made the changes in the “Registry” as per your suggestions, thanx now i am able to logon to the “Recovery Console” without password,:) but my main problem is not solved yet, I am not able to Format that Partition, I don’t have 98 setup CD, I am having winxp Setup CD, Looking forward to your further advice.

@n2casey
I tired ur Method too, everything worked till the 2nd step, When I get two Drives to select, I choose the C:, after that, I was asked to change the file system from FAT to NTFS, I select to remain in FAT, then I got a CAUTION : “Installing Multi OS on a Single Partition is not recommend,

When I select to continue, it asked to delete the current Windows Directory & it’s continued with the setup [Here I was confused:confused: & restarted the system], so I think ur method is only possible to “format a Drive which doesn’t have an OS”,

Note:

*Isn’t there any simple Method to Format a Partition on a Dual Boot?:rolleyes:

*Now I am Familiar with Recovery Console , so any suggestions thru that?:eek:

Attention : Problem not solved , Need Immediate Assistance:mad:

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom