Fonts Not Displayed In GNOME & KDE + N/w Monitor Constanly Showing Data Receptio

Status
Not open for further replies.

unni

In the zone
Hi everybody,

1. In the institute where I am studying, there is a network of computers running RedHat Enterprise Server 4. In some of the systems that I have checked (including the one where I sit to do the lab), the Network Monitor (GNOME) in taskbar is constantly showing reception of data.In about 10 minutes, it would show about 2 or more MBs received. What could be causing this?

2. This second problem happened in one of the systems. The problem is that no letters appear on desktop, menus, filenames, message boxes etc. - both in KDE and GNOME. But terminal and applications like Firefox are working fine. There seems to be some problem with the XServer not being able to locate the fonts (just a guess). In /var/log/messages, there were some lines like /usr/share/fonts (unreadable). Please help.

praka123

left this forum longback
1.there may be some server-client config that intertalks...
use ps ax to find this.not much clues :(

2.font server is most possibly not working,that means u'll get squares instead of fonts displayed.i dont use RHEL,try restarting ur xfs as "service xfs restart" and note the log in /var/log/Xorg.0.log and /var/log/syslog etc,solution may be is to re-register the fonts using fc-cache -fv in their corresponding directories,also before check fc-list to view available fonts.after this restart or relogin X.
edit:also check ur /etc/X11/xorg.conf for [[FontPath "unix/:7100" ]]
line.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom