Folder Locked?? ..pls hlp..!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hrushij

Broken In
Hi..friends..
This time i am in great trouble..
In Xp I had made my folder privte...Now suddenly my system crashed..And I have installed new XP..SP2..Now It shows me "access denide" for that folder..!!:(

please...help me..!!

Thx in advance...

redhat

Mad and Furious
Sorry, no way out...
The encryption used here is pretty strong, cant crack it...
You have lost those files, but hey!! Didnt u take a backup?

I am not sure, but you may try some RAW data extractors..., might help...

abhi.eternal

In search of light...
Get a Ubuntu live CD/DVD and boot LIVE. then access the folder and copy the files to another folder/drive. I heard (but dint try) that Ubuntu 7 can write on NTFS. So if you have NTFS drive, delete the folder after copying the files.

khattam_

Fresh Stock Since 2005
I'm not sure if this works, but you can give it a try:

Log in as administrator or user with admin privilages, if you haven't already done so.

Check you system time. Lets assume it is 10:50 PM.
Open Command Window and then type in the following:
Code:
at 22:52 /interactive "cmd.exe"
If your system time is 1:00 am for example, you shud do:
Code:
at 1:02 /interactive "cmd.exe"
Add 2 minutes to the system time. Hope this is clear.
Then close command prompt.

Now, press Ctrl+Alt+Del and then end the Explorer.

Then wait for 2 minutes, roughly. You will see another Command Prompt.

Type in "explorer.exe" in your new command prompt. You should be logged in as system user, and not your user.

Now, navigate to the folder and try accessing it. If the data was not encrypted, you may have some luck. Not sure this works, but you can give it a try.

Also, if the above procedure does not work and if your data is critical, you may consider buying "Advanced EFS Data Recovery" which might help.

NucleusKore

TheSaint
Get a Ubuntu live CD/DVD and boot LIVE. then access the folder and copy the files to another folder/drive. I heard (but dint try) that Ubuntu 7 can write on NTFS. So if you have NTFS drive, delete the folder after copying the files.

If it is encrypted how can ANY OS read it?

abhi.eternal

In search of light...
i don't know. i tried this method once and it worked for me (i used Ubuntu 6). may be it is encrypted to windows architecture only and not linux.

legolas

Padawan
I think it might have something to do with "header information" or something.. Its just a vague, supposedly intuitive guess. Pardon me if its absurd.

what i tried to say is, something like when you open the folder, it checks for some header information to check if its encrypted or not before opening... like say, how a photo-editing software could load the details regarding compression header information stored in a jpeg file... this encryption strategy might be different in linux... ??? if it works.. this hyper-intuitive alienistic thinking might be right!!

sorry guys, i need to rest my brain i guess :lol:

rollcage

AMD user for 9 yrs!!
In Xp I had made my folder privte...Now suddenly my system crashed..And I have installed new XP..SP2..Now It shows me "access denide" for that folder..!!:(
how did you actually do that. . can you tell the steps .. each n every step plz.,
i am not a noob but want to know how you do it .. so that we might be able to solve it
but its very very rare chance .. bcoz .. it has been encrypted to an unknown coding flowchart

i don't know. i tried this method once and it worked for me (i used Ubuntu 6). may be it is encrypted to windows architecture only and not linux.
windows encrypted it .. and we dont know what coding it used. unless we know that we cant decode.
Ubuntu wont have the windows cert files

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Hmm you just need to get back the ownership of that folder/file.

Read the guide given here: *support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

Guys: He hasn't encrypted it via that encrypt attrib NTFS gives, rather he's just set private permissions. And Ubuntu or any other OS which is not Windows hardly care for permissions while reading a file off their usual file-systems. Thus it can be read and written to, but if encrypted, obviously not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom