Folder lock problem, how to unlock?

Status
Not open for further replies.

besteast

Right off the assembly line
Hi,

Some time ago I've used some of the older versions of Folder lock program (trial) and I had to format and reinstall Windows OS on my C: drive. The problem is that some of my files remained locked in a folder on D: drive and remain locked since then. I've contacted the suport of "Folder lock" but they said I have to be a registered user to give me the solution.
Does anybody know how can I get my files back, I don't want to use the program, just want to unlock my folder and get the files, then delete the folder.
Anyone knows how?

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
yes it can be unlocked. just see the contents of ur D drive in cmd prompt and checjk the current names of ur those locked folders.
u will finf the names in special symbols . Just note those symbols and then use Alt+ 250 onwards to check by hit n trial what symbol matches . then when U find all the symbols , use "cd" to move to that folder or rename it to ur desired name. I have cracked Folder lock many times in my college computers and some friends computers . it always work. best of luck.

OP
B

besteast

~Phenom~ said:
yes it can be unlocked. just see the contents of ur D drive in cmd prompt and checjk the current names of ur those locked folders.
u will finf the names in special symbols . Just note those symbols and then use Alt+ 250 onwards to check by hit n trial what symbol matches . then when U find all the symbols , use "cd" to move to that folder or rename it to ur desired name. I have cracked Folder lock many times in my college computers and some friends computers . it always work. best of luck.
thank you, but I will have some problems with that, could you please type for the commands I should use in command prompt step by step?
Sorry for being so unexperienced! :)

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
ok , just goto cmd prompt ,
C:\D:
D:\
goto the folder where u placed ur locked folder or if u placed in D: directly , type dir and see the contents . take a scrrenshot and paste here , i will do the job for ya.

OP
B

besteast

OK,
the problem folder i called Folder Lock , DOS name is folder~1
it is on my secon hard drive - my old hard - on G: drive which is FAT
(previously it was created under win98, now I am using win XP and my main hard drive is NTFS)
I can access this folder, I can copy it everywhere but I don't exactly see its content in cmd
when I use the dir comand it shows 2 folders called "." and ".."
when I scan the folder lock folder with nod32 antivirus I see some strange symbols for the subfolders but I don't know how to type these special symbols...
strange things happening... :)

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
I have checked the attached pic. "." and ".." are default in every directory.dont worry about that. Now I think there is nothing in that folder or its hidden , try "dir /a" . check the properties of that folder. and post the screen shots of "dir /a" of both G: drive and that folder.

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
the code is cracked , here it is . press ALT and then these numbers and u should get the desired folder name. Then u can cd to that folder or rename it in cmd prompt.
the numbers are
151 177 168 176 172 151

do tell me what happened.

OP
B

besteast

I don't know if I am doing the commands right but i can't rename it by now... doesn't work

OP
B

besteast

here's the screenshot
doesn't work
don't know why
how can I see the DOS names of folders and files?
the dir command gives "Folder lock" as folder name but I know from my win98 that the DOS name is folder~1, unfortunately winXP doesn't show DOS names in "properties" and command prompt also shows windows names
may be the problem is somehow related with that, I don't know

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
donno whats the problem. sorry cant guess whats the problem.

have u ever tried linux ???? once my friend said he successfully opened such folder in linux without any fuss. u may try a live CD.
try ur luck.

Last edited:
OP
B

besteast

I haven't used Linux but I may try the live CD
those guys from the support of Folder lock know how to deal with this but they won't say unless I buy the product, which i don't want to do.
thank you for the help anyway!
I think the problem is somehow related with the character set, may be this special character code is not the exact DOS name, how can I see the DOS names of files and folders in command prompt (and win XP)?
if "Folder Lock" = folder~1
then I don't know what this special character name is in DOS...

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
donno about that.
what u mean by DOS names ?? what u see in cmd ( not command ) by dir are actual DOS names.

OP
B

besteast

at last!
I opened "Folder Lock" and changed folder options in winXP unchecking "hide protected operating system files"
then I saw the strange folder named with the special character codes, it has been hidden, I renamed it to "new"
but when I click it, it shows control panel instead of subfolders and files
in cmd I can see the files now by dir command, I just have to copy them
how do I copy folders in cmd? I can copy files but I don't know what is the command to copy a folder?
the "hide protected operating system files" option was the key to the problem, after I unchecked it and was able to see the folder in windowsXP, I renamed it and then in cmd I could see its content with "dir" and copy the locked files and folders with "xcopy"
this is how it worked!
thanks for the help!

Last edited:

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
why dont u just copy all the files to a diffrent location???? why u want to copy the folder???? u want the files and not the folder ,right ?????
i m glad that u finally got ur files , though I was not of much use to u.

it_waaznt_me

Coming back to life ..
You couldve removed the system attribute set by the crappy software by this :
Start > Run > cmd {press enter}
D:
attrib -s -h -r folder~1 {Press Enter}
The folder should be visible in Windows Explorer now. And then you could browse the folder easily.

OP
B

besteast

Yes, that is what I did, I copyed the content (files and folders) of the problematic special characters folder, not the folder itself. I deleted the folder with the strange (ASCII?) charcters after I copyed its content.
Everithing is OK now and I suppose I will never have this problem again, but it's good to know the solution :)
And also someon having the same problem might read this and find it helpful...
D:
attrib -s -h -r folder~1 {Press Enter}
The folder should be visible in Windows Explorer now. And then you could browse the folder easily.

Thnaks,
we have another way of delaing with this problem then.
obviously the system attributes have been the key...
BTW, is this the reason why I couldn't rename it in cmd?

Last edited:

it_waaznt_me

Coming back to life ..
Well I suppose you were using command.com instead of cmd.exe and command.com doesnt support UTF character in filenames.

Lecson

hello

I have also this problem,
But I can't do,
could sombody tell me how to visibly??
Look my screen shot
*img514.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screen1folderlockuk0.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom