Folder.htt and desktop.ini...! Is it a virus...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ramprasad

In the zone
Hi all
I have the files "Folder.htt" and "Desktop.ini" files in all my folders. Is this a virus? I have installed NAV 2003 with the latest patches.... but no positive response.... :roll: Is there are any tools? If there any sites..? Please suggest as early as possible...!

Regards,
Ramprasad

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
Well these are system files....but can be infected by viruses too....just check that the "do Not Show Hidden and System Files" option In ur folder properties is Ticked....just to make sure that these files are indeed hidden and are confirmed system files....Btw if not then this means a possible threath of redlof.A virus infection Or Another way of Confirming the Virus entry is Open the folder.htt in notepad and if u find a tag with kinda lot of junk written in between then its definetly infected.....Just to make sure once more....just run an online system scan *security.symantec.com/sscv6/default.asp?langid=ie&venid=sym Or
*housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp

And check for possible threats :)

Also try this *securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/html.redlof.a.html

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
I have made a utility to safely disinfect your files without loosing your data. Tell me if you want it..

khattam_

Fresh Stock Since 2005
Yeah, if the files reappear again and again after deleting, yeah it is a virus and very communicable. Use an updated antivirus. You'll get many good ones for free.

dIgItaL_BrAt

Cyborg Agent
Those files are not viruses,but are system files.They store the settings of how your files are displayed(as thumbnails/icons/details,according to date/name...etc),so there's no need to worry.

vijaythefool

In the zone
.htt is not a virus but check out if the file size is 73 kb rather than being around 23 kb .... if so its a virus . use panda to remove redloaf.a its effective and dosent remove other html files which are usually infected by this

blacklight

Journeyman
Yes , u have been infected by a variant of the redlof virus. more about the virus here
*us.mcafee.com/virusInfo/default.asp?id=description&virus_k=99476

if i remember well,digit did give a method of removing it manually in one of its previous editions(maybe a year ago ).it involved editing specific registry keys .

But dont go searching for that mag yet,
u can remove it using a tool given by panda software. find it at
*www.pandasoftware.com/download/utilities/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom