Flashing my BIOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

aircombat

Right off the assembly line
I have a ASUS M2N SLI Dx Motherboard. Today, when starting my comp, after the POST I was presented with a blank screen, and nothing was happening. There was no light from the HDD LED too. Thinking that Windows had crashed once again I tried booting from my Windows Boot CD. However the BooT CD didn't boot too. I entered BIOS settings and checked that CD-ROM is selected as first boot device. I tried again, but to no avaail. I restarted again, this time pressed F8, to enter boot selection and selected to boot from CD-Rom, but still was stuck at the blank screen. I tried another bootable CD from a friend. Still no joy. In frustration I tried booting from my Open Suse, Mandriva and RedHat Linux CDs, but still no joy. Finally I tried booting to BeOS from my ASUS CD, which came with the motherboard, but still no joy. At this point I realized that my BIOS is simply not handing over control. So I tried flashing my BIOS, with the ASUS Ez Flash utility. However, this effort has come to a nought due to some jumper setting I can't find on my motherboard.

The error I get is

FLASH RoM is write protected
Please make sure whether lockout jumper is set to correct or not.

I can only see two jumpers on my Motherboard. One is the CLRTC jumper to reset the clock and get the motherboard to default settings and another which has CHASIS written beside it.

I am in urgent requirement of help as it is very vital, to my work to get my comp working.
Thank You.

OP
A

aircombat

Right off the assembly line
restore the BIOS default...have u tried that?

I had tried restoring both through the options and through the CLRTC jumpers. It was of no help and hence tried flashing my BIOS. Presently the BIOS has got erased, but I can't write the new BIOS file.

realdan

Ambassador of Buzz
uhoh...try taking out the cell battery on the motherboard and insert it back after a min or so

OR

remove all unnecessary components incl optical drives from your PC..and boot from hdd..

by the way how did you try to flash the BIOS...using USB pen drive? or from CD? and what is your original BIOS version as

M2N-SLI Deluxe BIOS 0307 (Please do read the description before updating BIOS)
(Do not use EZ-Flash to flash BIOS if your BIOS version is prior 0307.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom