FLAC with Winamp

Status
Not open for further replies.

whoopy_whale

Journeyman
Using dBpowerAmp I converted some of my mp3's to FLAC.But Winamp won't play them.From winamp.com,I downloaded and installed the FLAC encoder.But still it won't play.The Ogg Vorbis files work without any trouble.
Please help me...how can I play these FLAC files?

swatkat

Technomancer
u should download FLAC decoder for WinAmp to play....
get this....
*www.winamp.com/plugins/details.php?id=131643
or this...
*www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Audio/Audio-Codecs/FLAC-for-Windows.shtml

swatkat

Technomancer
djmykey said:
Whats flac?? Can any 1 of u ppl explain it to us ??
FLAC stands for Free Lossless Audio Codec, has compression rates similar to MP3 but this one's lossless...
*flac.sourceforge.net/

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
if this has similar compression rate to MP3 but is lossless . then wouldnt it be useless to try to convert MP3(where data already lost) to FLAC ??? . i read in Chip or something resently Flac and another few formats were used by many to trade rare music worldwide because it had better quality , but only when converted from the original audio cd .

swatkat

Technomancer
klinux said:
if this has similar compression rate to MP3 but is lossless . then wouldnt it be useless to try to convert MP3(where data already lost) to FLAC ???
Yeah..u r right it would be useless to convert MP3 to FLAC, but the thing is that u can not convert MP3 to FLAC.Only these conversions r possible:-
WAV to FLAC
OGG to FLAC
FLAC to FLAC

djmykey

Let the music play.....
Some smartness shown by those ppl ha MP3 != FLAC :wink: Btw thanks swatkat for explaining that to me. 8)

OP
whoopy_whale

whoopy_whale

Journeyman
swatkat said:
klinux said:
if this has similar compression rate to MP3 but is lossless . then wouldnt it be useless to try to convert MP3(where data already lost) to FLAC ???
Yeah..u r right it would be useless to convert MP3 to FLAC, but the thing is that u can not convert MP3 to FLAC.Only these conversions r possible:-
WAV to FLAC
OGG to FLAC
FLAC to FLAC
Well,I'll tell you what I did.I right-clicked an mp3 file.Selected Convert to(Remember,I installed dBpowerAmp) and chose FLAC codec and continued.And a new file was created somehow which I couldn't play.You are telling that mp3 can't be converted to flac.Actually I had no intention of converting my mp3's to flac.I did this just to check the FLAC codec which I downloaded from dbpoweramp.com.I'll try ripping an audio CD to FLAC format.
By the way,thanks for the winamp plugin link.

swatkat

Technomancer
dBPowerAmp converts MP3 to FLAC, but as already some of the data is lost in MP3 compression, re-encoding to FLAC doesnt serve the purpose at all!

Actually, the original FLAC encoder (provided by FLAC developers) does not have provision for converting MP3 to FLAC...that's what i mentioned in the previous post.....

For ideal results, WAV should be converted to FLAC....

OP
whoopy_whale

whoopy_whale

Journeyman
swatkat said:
dBPowerAmp converts MP3 to FLAC, but as already some of the data is lost in MP3 compression, re-encoding to FLAC doesnt serve the purpose at all!

Actually, the original FLAC encoder (provided by FLAC developers) does not have provision for converting MP3 to FLAC...that's what i mentioned in the previous post.....

For ideal results, WAV should be converted to FLAC....
swatkat,thanks for the info.
I have no intention of converting my mp3's to FLAC.Out of curiosity I tried to convert a file to flac.That's all.

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
end of story already ???

what abt file size , compatibility with car / home stereos , cellphones and even with movie encoding . players plugins . alternates to flac ???

was tinking abt something a while back , audio cd's held only few songs in each disc . so people started using mp3 to store more cd's on ,then costly cd-r's and were satisfied even with audio quality going down . this also helped transfer files on then , slow net connections .

now , with dvd's and future blue ray / hd dvd capacities would increase . so , would u still want to compress your precious songs and give away quality for quantity , when u can have more songs of gr8 quality on higher capacity discs . plus with broad band , wouldnt ppl just send highest quality sounds possible ???

after listening to mp3 for years and then listening to a few of the same songs from the original audio cd's , u will notice a HUGE difference in quality . not sure abt flac though . will try it out . u will notice the difference mostly in english songs , soundtracks , themes etc

swatkat

Technomancer
Too much to write them here....so here's the links...
Checkout Hardware support here

Comparision with all lossless codecs

Flac Features

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom