firefox uses a lota resources ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

iinfi

mekalodu
if i open 3-4 windows with 2-3 tabs in each .... the CPU uses shoots upto 90% for firefox and the overall CPU usage shows 100% ...

thus other programs are unable to run propely ...i have tried uninstalling firefox and even deleted the "F:\Documents and Settings\iinfi\application data\Mozilla" folder b4 reinstalling ... but the problem still persists ...... :cry: :evil: :twisted: :( :?

why is this so?????

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
Dude, how much Extensions have you installed?
Try to uninstall the themes or extensions which u dont use. Also use 1.0.5 (not the latest version) or deer park version.
Why 2-3 windows, when u can browse in a single window with many tabs open?

Yes, FX do take up a lot of system resources. Thats the only thing that I dont like with FX.

OP
iinfi

iinfi

mekalodu
no man no extentions jus plain FF.... earlier i had a few .... but even after unintalling FF and deleting "F:\Documents and Settings\iinfi\application data\Mozilla" folder same problem ....

drgrudge

Ok, fine then why do you need to open up 2-3 windows? Wont a single window be enough? Did you try using the version I suggested?

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Im using Deer park and although the CPU Utilization isnt high the memory seems to be 45 MB . Although I have more than enough memory . I do consider that kind of high considering I dont have any extensions installed and only one browser is open . :shock: . Hmmm Ill try uninstall and reinstall and see if it works differently .

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
Hmm, I have been wondering about this myself. I have only AdBlock, SwitchProxy and BBCode extensions installed, yet sometimes Firefox (1.0.6) just seems to lock up on me, shooting CPU usage to 100%. In fact, it locks it up so bad, it takes the Task Manager about three to five seconds to show up. My computer and my Internet connection are hardly slow, considering their stats. I am lost as to what's going on inside the browser. Of course, this happens randomly, but it can be really irritating when it does. Any clues as to why this happens and possible remedies would be greatly appreciated.

OP
iinfi

iinfi

mekalodu
may b as drgrudge said it must be a problem with the latest version 1.0.6 ... i will try using the earlier version and let u know how it is ....

and the biggest problem with FF is that it gives up very easily .... u type www.google.com ... within 2-3 seconds it says "www.google.com cannot be found. please check the name and try again" .... the request may not have even reached the ISP ... b4 which the message box pops up ....

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
and the biggest problem with FF is that it gives up very easily .... u type www.google.com ... within 2-3 seconds it says "www.google.com cannot be found. please check the name and try again" .... the request may not have even reached the ISP ... b4 which the message box pops up ....
Information travels faster than u believe it to travel. But, yea, these kind of packet loss seems to happen only with firefox. I've never experienced it in IE or opera. It occurs a lot of times not to be bothered.

drgrudge

FX 1.0.6 has some issues, and I am using the 1.0.5 version. I saw some queries at Neowin, yes the CPU usage problem, extensions dont work properly goes in hand with the latest version.

Just see the speed at which FX loads and is "ready" to be used. FX 1.0.5 takes around 4-5 seconds to show up in my system (128mb RAM, P3 800mhz); but when I tried FX 1.0.6 it took a long time to load , some 6-7 secs. Just see for yourself, the longer the time it takes to load, the CPU usage is gonna be high also ; switching between tabs also takes a longer time..

Deer park alpha 2 is also good; but I was lazy to d/l and install it :p

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
drgrudge said:
use 1.0.5 (not the latest version) or deer park version.
Can u pls tell me why u suggested 1.0.5 version or Deer park?
I'm using 1.0.6 version and hv used 1.0.5 too.
I didnt find ne changes?
Why u prefer 1.0.5 over 1.0.6?
Is there ne specific reason?
And i think 1.0.5 and Deer park r same! Isnt it?
Pls clear my doubts...
thnx.

drgrudge

1.0.5 and deer park are NOT same.

As for the issues in 1.0.6, I have mentioned them in above post of mine, para 1.

drgrudge

Deer park has some features which 1.0.5 dont have (something to do with history, but dont know for sure). Deer park is a alpha remember that, so still there might be some bugs.

I am happy with 1.0.5, but I will d/l Deer park beta, which will be out soon, already it's getting delayed and it was stated to be out some time back and still not yet released.

ATM

Right off the assembly line
Dats becoz Firefox sux!!!!!

Yes its true.Firefox sux.
All the net user made a hype of firefox henceu r using it
If MS had paid attention 2 IE then it much better
It still iz.U must use Maxthon 1.3.3 and u'll find a huge difference in ur surfing experience.
But use it atleast for 3-4 days and get around each n every feature of it
else it 'll be a waste of time

expertno.1

Technomancer
Yes its true.Firefox sux.
All the net user made a hype of firefox henceu r using it
If MS had paid attention 2 IE then it much better
It still iz.U must use Maxthon 1.3.3 and u'll find a huge difference in ur surfing experience.
But use it atleast for 3-4 days and get around each n every feature of it
else it 'll be a waste of time

read the rules
dont deviate from the topic
answer simply what the user is asking and dont suggest andy other software

he knows better than you and knows what is better than firefox

as till here

get deer park alpha

but when the final version is to be out ..donno

although get it from here
*www.mozilla.org/projects/deerpark/releases/alpha1.html

*developer.mozilla.org/devnews/index.php/2005/07/12/deer-park-alpha-2-released/

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
@ATM: Kindly refrain from making such posts in the future, where the post advices people to switch programs instead of suggesting solutions for the existing problem. Besides, you seem to be criticizing MSIE too without probably realizing that Maxthon runs on the MSIE engine. And before you start criticizing any browsers for their flaws, go though this excellent post here called "Browser Fanboyism."

ujjwal

Padawan
You could try a few things -

1. Get hold of the development release of firefox, called Deer Park Alpha 2. Its memory use is much better than the stable build. However, it is not completed yet so use it at your own risk.

2. Try getting an unofficial build of firefox which is optimised for your processor, and which disables a few features. Stipe's and Moox's builds of firefox are quite popular under windows. Check this for info.

3. Get the sources and compile it yourself, and tweak it for better performance. You could disable many inbuilt extensions, disable features like the java script console, DOM inspector etc., compile it with a different toolkit (under linux, the GTK+1 mozilla builds are way faster than GTK+2, however, on windows, the default win32 will do fine). Check the mozilla build instructions.

However, even after this mozilla/firefox is not as great in speed as kmeleon/opera. I think Firefox 1.5 will go a long way in improving that :)

By the way, there was a discussion at the FreeBSD mailing list about the possiblity to disable XUL in firefox, which could increase interface speed a lot. As far as I understant, XUL provides the user interface for firefox, as well as the interface for extensions. So I am not sure what disabling this would do. If anyone knows if this is possible, and what are its effects, do let me know :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom