Finding J2SE 5.0 SDK

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
Hey guys,

Ineed the Java 2 Second Edition 5.0 Software Development Kit. I went to this site: www.java.sun.com/j2se and also here www.java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp but could not understand wat to d/load. But i d/loaded the J2SE 5.0 JDK Source code wich says this...
JDK 5.0 source code is available for those interested in exploring the details of the JDK. This includes schools, universities, companies, and individuals who want to examine the source code for personal interest or research & development. The licensing does not impose restrictions upon those who wish to work on independent open-source projects.
But wen i unzipped this, there wasa folder named install, but there was no installer. I knw im doin sumthing wrong, but tell me wat i shud be doin.

I need to learn programming on Java so please tell me wat to do, and where to d/load the appropriate s/ware.... (giv the links please.)

Cheers n e-peace....

Last edited:

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
@Ashu, You need to download 'JDK 5.0 Update 7' and also you need Documentation.
So download'J2SE 5.0 Documentation' also that contains the documentation for JDK.
You don't need the 'JDK 5.0 Source code' !!!!
I hope things are clear now.

OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
@ JGuru,

Thanx for ur reply bro.. :) So tat means the JDK Source Code is useless (from my programming (begineer) point of view) ?? (please guide me)...

I will surely d/load the JDK 5.0 7 Update along with the J2SE 5.0 Documentation.

Cheers n e-peace....

OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
@ JGuru,

Thanx for ur reply bro, i have installed JDK 5.0 Update along with its documentation and now i can program adn learn with it... :)

@ Brave, thanx for the link..

Cheers n e-peace...

aadipa

Padawan
If you are new to Java, refer to some online tutorials, there are many, even Sun have good tutorials on their site. First you should be very clear with concept of Objects.
At beginning, use notepad2 as test editor (You can use notepad too, but notepad2 gives syntax highlighting). And compile/run your code with command prompt.
When you are comfortable with coding, you should move to some IDEs like Eclipse or NetBeans. There is option to download JDK and NetBeans bundle, but don't use any IDE till you are done with core java.

OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
@ aadi

1.) Well i used Jcreator Lite Edition to compile the programs (as given in a tut wich i d/loaded from a site). Please tell me how can i compile using the cmd prompt. In our college (an older version) of jdk1.3 is available and we can program on it using the cmd prompt by writing the codes in notepad and saving them as <file_name>.java in the "bin" folder of jdk1.3 and compiling it in cmd prompt.

2.) But here (at my home), How can i program in the cmd prompt ?? Please suggest. Is JCreator LE (Lite Edition) perfect for writing codes or shud i be writing and compiling codes in the cmd prompt ??

3.) I want tat i shud be able to test the program on both s/wares (i.e Jcreator LE (wich i already have) and even in cmd prompt (wich i dnt knw wat to install further or wat to do at my home PC) ....

Awating replies from u techies (on Java)...

Cheers n e-peace....

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
Compiling JAVA programs in cmd-line:
javac <filename>.java

Running the program from cmd-line;
java <filename>

I suggest that you download & use NetBeans IDE 5.0 BlueJ Edition. It's for
guys learning JAVA & also it's very easy to use. It comes with host of great features.
You'll love using it.
Checkout the screenshot:
*edu.netbeans.org/bluej/bluej.png
Get it from here:
*edu.netbeans.org/bluej/index.html

OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
@ J

Thanx a lot bro,BTW wats the compiler or s/ware to run JAVA based programs on FC4 (LINUX OS) as i guess that the above screenshot tat u have posted is of a Java compiler in LINUX, so wats it ? Please enlighten me...

Cheers n e-peace...

r@hit

Right off the assembly line
hi!
you can download the dk fro linux from the following url
*java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/download.html

and selecting the second option of jsdk 1.4 dpwnload
on the next screen choose linux . it works on fc4 also

r@ohit

OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
@ Rohit

Thanx for the useful info bro :) BTW, doesnt FC4 has an in-built java compiler or any thing similar to tat??

Cheers n e-peace...

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
You can use either Sun JDK or GCJ and I guess there one more, blackdown or something, if I remember right.
But, IMO Sun JDK would be more preferable. It is also available for linux platform, and you can use any editor like nano, joe, kate, kwrite, gedit, vim, emacs, etc to write your code, compiling would be the same.
One more thing, install JDK in your system path. To know what it is, open your console and type
Code:
echo $PATH

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl
JCreator all the way ... if u think that Netbeans IDE was impressive .. then take a look at this :

*img304.imageshack.us/img304/3641/1uy5.jpg

Also .. this editor is totally configurable .... and u get a very Visual Studio feel ... the only backdrop is that u can't use command line arguments ... as if u'll ever need those ... though u can have a round about way ...

Also ... i think all current linux distro are bundled with jdk ...

OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
@ deathvirus,

yup bro, i hv a feel of JCreator (lite and Pro) editions on my XP machine, as i hv compiled sum begineer programs on it and yup i agree to u tat it really gives a Studio feel effect of a professional (working with 3 panes..lol..). Is this Jcreator available for Linux too or will my JCreator version (running on WIN XP) can be installed on Linux??

Cheers n e-peace,......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom