Finally....An Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Night-Rider

Journeyman
I finally have the cash to go for an upgrade.
My current pc configuration is
p4 3.0
512 mb ddr
intel 915g motherboard (AGP)
80gb hd
Onboard IGP

Now i want to upgrade my pc. I want the budget to be as minimum as possible. But still i have a budget of 25k.
Upgrade should consist of cpu,mobo,ram,graphics card, PSU( if needed).
I bought this pc 3 years ago. This is a branded pc. The brand is Esys. I think it came with a 400W PSU. But i am not sure. Will i have any problems in installing a new psu in this present cabinet?? Please suggest me the appropriate parts according to my budget. If some cash is still left then i won't might an upgrade to the HD. Its too low at present time. But its not that important.
The primary use for this is GAMING. I want this rig to run crysis at 1024x768 high. So please suggest the parts accordingly. I have a 15" LCD so i game only at 1024x768 not more than that. Now please tell me to upgrade the LCD i don't have enough cash. :rolleyes:
I will be very thankful for your help. :)

BTW i'll buy the hardware from www.theitwares.com. So suggest the parts according to their prices. Where i live many of the parts are either very expensive or unavailable. ;)

Last edited:

prashantmaxsteel

I ain't Parochial !
Hi there,

Try out this config.

1Processor Core2Duo E7200
2 Mobo Albit IP35-E
3 Graphics 8600GT
4 Ram DDR2 2x1Gb - 800Mhz
5 PSU 450W

try this as the minimum base config.
Many suggested me this config.

OP
Night-Rider

Night-Rider

Journeyman
If u r suggesting me the 8600GT then i think i won't need a PSU. Because 8600GT doesn't need external power supply. Can u please also mention the prices along with the parts so i can find out how much money will be spent? Thanks.
Can 9600GT or 8800GT fit in my budget??

Can anybody please reply to my query??????

After seraching a lot. I have thought of this config

CPU - Core2Duo E7200 Rs.5900/-
MOBO - ABIT IP35-E Rs.5350/-
GPU - EVGA 9600GT SC Rs.9200/-
or EVGA 8800GT KO Rs.10800/-
PSU - CM Extreme Power 500W Rs.2650/-
RAM - 2GB 800MHz Rs.1950/-
Total with 9600 GT= Rs.25,050/-
Total with 8800 GT= Rs.26,650/-

Can anybody help me decide which config should i go for and how do i cut on the costs?

Last edited:

prashantmaxsteel

I ain't Parochial !
theitwares.com prices seem to be lowest compared to others that i have checked.
seems nice config. if u have more budget check out the pro version of the Abit ip35 mobo. it is simply amazing.

k6153r

Broken In
theitwares.com prices seem to be lowest compared to others that i have checked.
seems nice config. if u have more budget check out the pro version of the Abit ip35 mobo. it is simply amazing.

Do you call that lowest???!!!!

Is THAT what you pay in Mumbai.

Everything listed there is way too much.

prashantmaxsteel

I ain't Parochial !
Do you call that lowest???!!!!

Is THAT what you pay in Mumbai.

Everything listed there is way too much.

ya. cud be higher than that in some shops. but their stuff is reliable and i suppoz best on net for mumbai.

if u know any site or shop that sells lesser than that share it with others.

OP
Night-Rider

Night-Rider

Journeyman
In my city the prices of the computer parts are far more than the prices of theitwares.com so its a good deal for me as i can't get a lower price anywhere else. But is their service good? I mean if some part gets faulty then how fast do they replace the parts?

k6153r

Broken In
I live in Bangalore.
I don't know of any online store, but at SP Road, Bangalore the prices are much less.

For example,

1 GB of Dynet DDR1 RAM costs Rs. 2100 in theitwares.

But, only last week I bought it for 1400+VAT here!

cooldude1

Broken In
^^Prices of parts which are not sold that often are not updated very often

Like DDR1 Rams are outdated not many ppl buy them call us and we wnt sell it to u at that Rs.2100 price .

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
What I find strange and frustrating is that, in India, online prices are almost always higher than shop prices. This is the opposite of western countries where online prices are usually significantly lower, and some customers still buy from "real" shops only for the following reasons:
1) They want to inspect, try out and choose the products in a shop.
2) They want to avoid the delay of shipping and returns in case of defects.
3) They are not savvy about online purchasing.

Online shops have less overhead expenditures. They need fewer staff. They don't need a shop front in a strategic high-rent location. There's no need for a sales counter or a store room close to the counter. They can even delay shipping by a day or so while they get stuff they don't have from a distributor or importer.

It's hard to understand why online prices are consistently higher than those in conventional shops in the same city. If online shops followed the example of those in western countries, I'm sure they'll be doing a roaring business in no time at all.

There are so many people in smaller cities and towns who want to buy computer hardware, but they are frustrated because prices in their own cities are higher than those in larger cities, and online prices are no better.

realdan

Ambassador of Buzz
why should a businessman lower the price of the products when there are limited competitors? unless he is not a businessman or running a part-time charity or he is foolish
how many online shops are there in india? not many. most are not offering the whole range of products also. So the few that exist will always charged more.
same with conventional shop..if there are a lot of shops selling then they have to quote a fair price..becos they knew u have asked for the price elsewhere unless there is a cartel..among so many seller.

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
That is short-sighted thinking. Online shops are not just competing with other online shops. They are also competing with normal shops.

Suppose you want to buy a new graphics card and shops in your city are asking 10k for it. You have to go out and spend a couple of hours to buy it. Now suppose a reliable online shop is selling the same card for 9.5K and you can order it from the comfort of your home. Which one would you buy ?

I don't mean you specifically. You may have reasons to want to buy from a shop in your own city. But think of the millions of potential customers who do not have easy access to good, inexpensive shops. For those people, the same card may cost 12K in their own city, or it may not be available at all.

This is not just theory. That's the way it has been working in western countries for years. Why do you think the likes of Amazon, TigerDirect, Newegg, etc. etc. etc. are doing such a roaring business ?

Some people still prefer to buy from physical shops for certain reasons - see the main reasons in the first part of my post above. But a vast number of people in those countries simply order online.

And then there are the millions of potential customers in smaller cities and towns. Re-read the last para of my post.

Last edited:

monkey

Padawan
@pimpom: Online sites seems to be bit costly as some of them include shipping charges too. When someone goes shopping on stores they only see OTC price but do not include travel and shopping time alongwith the cost. For example I live in Delhi and have access to Nehru Place. But that place is bit far away and travelling itself will include Rs. 400 (if I travel by car - avoiding Delhi's heat). A normal person will generally overlook this cost. Also if you are a working executive then you will understand that time is money. These all factors, when combined, will show you that online shop prices are at par/lower than regular shops. Secondly, regular shop guys will sell you thing for Rs. 50 margin on item costing Rs. 10,000/-. But if you try paying through Credit Card then the price jumps by 2%. For online shops the jump is by 5%-8%. This looks huge for costly items but then it was not online shop which kept this margin. It was passed onto the Credit Card service provider. Thirdly, Online shops too have overheads - Annual domain name cost/web space cost/website maintenance costs - to name a few. And lastly - prices reduce when volume increases. In India (unlike West) not many people are inclined to online shopping - due to lack of awareness/security scare/old habit/payment options/delivery time/look-feel of product - to name a few reason. This, thus, fail to create much volume (as compared to the regular shops). They, thus, are not able to get the best price from the distributor/importer. I hope you understand my vision of online shops in India. I prefer online shopping as it saves me a lot of time and headache. Even if I pay a little extra I know that it was for my comfort level.

@Night-Rider: If you want more options then here are few Indian online selling sites:

1. www.theitwares.com
2. www.techshop.in
3. www.yantraonline.in
4. www.theitdepot.com
5. www.lynx-india.com

I suggest you to compare prices on all of these before making a purchase. Overall I have got good reviews on all of them.

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
@monkey: Online shops do not all include shipping cost in their prices. And I did not say that they don't have any overheads; what I said was that they can manage with significantly lower overhead expenditures. The cost of maintaining a website is much lower than that of employing a large number of staff. In fact, the salary of a single employee can well pay for the cost of maintaining an internet presence.

Take ITWares for example. I don't know what deal they made with OutpowerHosting, but judging from the packaged deals offered by the latter, I'm sure it's not more than a few thousand a year.

What you said about the lack of awareness of online shops in India has some validity. But that is also because online shops are more expensive. In any case, you cannot create awareness all at once. You have to earn it by providing competitive pricing and good efficient service. They should accept that any new venture takes time and hard work, not quick high profits.

And it's not all that difficult: see how ITWares has made itself known to the Digit community in such a short time. If they had prices that can compete with conventional shops, I'm sure they would have had at least twice the business volume they have now. I, for one, would already be ordering regularly from them.

I live in a remote part of the country, but I have good sources in various cities. Still, I would rather buy from a dedicated online shop rather than companies that do business the cumbersome traditional way - that is, IF online prices were competitive.

Last edited:

realdan

Ambassador of Buzz
it only takes one person to change the rule of the games..and you could be the person..:)
then we will buy from you..if you offer cheaper price than other online shop and as you said it normal brick and mortar store also including shipping..etc...

doesnt dell computer give more bangs for your bucks and also have newer components faster than other brands normally distributed through brick and mortar shop? why they are not growing that much? they are now changing a bit of tacts and arranging for a tieup with some brick and mortar store to sell their wares...india is this kind of market..if dell cant change it? can you? probably yes as nothing is impossible..the thing is india is still not mature enough to have reach that kind of a stage. where online store can compete effectively with brick and mortar one.

itwares no frills using simple html..thats it
the others are more like ecommerce sites
techshop.in uses a free ecommerce solution(i have used it before) with quite a lot of modification and theme customisation

i also like to shop online like people in the US can on newegg.com but sadly it couldnt be that way here in india.

as far as i know hosting either of the above solutions do not command a high price unless traffic is very heavy which is not the case here...

the problem is they do not think they are competing with brick and mortar shop becos of many people who will be willing to pay extra. volume business at low margin is really not appealing to them compared to low volume and higher margin.

a simple approach is to cut price and attract buyers but how much more can they attract and thats the problem..can they attract the volume that will make business sense?

anyway forget all the above why dont you join up with like minded people and start a venture so that we can benefit from it all? that will be really cool!

by the way one important point in india..by buying online..you are leaving behind a trail which sniffer dogs can follow and haunt you if you are not so honest with the authority...as you are basically indirectly telling them you bought this and that...surely some people will not want to that to fall into the hands of the authority.

Last edited:

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
You are concentrating only on the negative aspects. You keep harping about can't this and can't that.
it only takes one person to change the rule of the games..and you could be the person..:)
then we will buy from you..if you offer cheaper price than other online shop
Whether that was sincere or meant as sarcasm, I'm out of the picture for two reasons. One is that, as I said before, I live in a remote part of the country where I do not have easy access to importers and distributors. Secondly, I am not a trader at heart. I don't want to spend my life buying and selling other people's products. This does not mean that I don't know the principles of business. It simply means that there are other things I would rather devote myself to.
and as you said it normal brick and mortar store also including shipping..etc...
They do not have to be cheaper than "normal brick and mortar stores" in the same large city. They just have to be competitive in pricing. And many, if not all, customers will be perfectly willing to pay extra for a reasonable shipping charge.

Let's suppose a product costs Rs.5000/- on Lamington Road or SP Road or Nehru Place or Chandni Chowk or China Bazaar or Ritchie Street or Shakespear Sarani, AND also 5000/- at an online shop with a two hundred rupee shipping charge. The 5200/- is still cheaper than the 6 or 6.5K price that many buyers face in their home town for the same product. But if it also costs 6 or 6.5K online, then there's no sense in going through the hassle, delay and risk of ordering it online.

doesnt dell computer give more bangs for your bucks and also have newer components faster than other brands normally distributed through brick and mortar shop? why they are not growing that much? they are now changing a bit of tacts and arranging for a tieup with some brick and mortar store to sell their wares...india is this kind of market..if dell cant change it? can you? probably yes as nothing is impossible..the thing is india is still not mature enough to have reach that kind of a stage. where online store can compete effectively with brick and mortar one.
If Indians are so lacking in awareness about online trading, why is eBay-India doing such a booming business? Managing eBay (and Baazee before them) must be immeasurably more complex than running a relatively simple online shop selling only one type of merchandise, namely computer hardware.

There was a time when my wife liked sending for household items from a mail order firm. Business boomed with that firm for a while but they folded after a few years, and do you know why? Because they sold shoddy products at twice the price in conventional shops.

itwares no frills using simple html..thats it
So what? That should help keep their prices down.

the others are more like ecommerce sites
techshop.in uses a free ecommerce solution(i have used it before) with quite a lot of modification and theme customisation
And their prices are sky-high. It does not have to be that way. That's the whole point of this discussion.

i also like to shop online like people in the US can on newegg.com but sadly it couldnt be that way here in india.
Why?

as far as i know hosting either of the above solutions do not command a high price unless traffic is very heavy which is not the case here...
I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. Do you mean to say "....the above solutions do not justify a high (web hosting) price....." ? If traffic is light, that's because high prices do not attract customers.
the problem is they do not think they are competing with brick and mortar shop
That's the whole point. They do not think. Period.
becos of many people who will be willing to pay extra. volume business at low margin is really not appealing to them compared to low volume and higher margin.
Again, that's the crux of the matter. They think in terms of making a quick buck, not in terms of attracting more and more customers and establishing a growing, lasting business. Perhaps they think that the novelty of operating an online shop will raise their image and that they can get away with high prices. Maybe they can, with some people. But a vast section of the buying public are not as gullible as that.

a simple approach is to cut price and attract buyers but how much more can they attract and thats the problem..can they attract the volume that will make business sense?
Yes. But they won't know until they try.

anyway forget all the above why dont you join up with like minded people and start a venture so that we can benefit from it all? that will be really cool!
I've already explained that.

by the way one important point in india..by buying online..you are leaving behind a trail which sniffer dogs can follow and haunt you if you are not so honest with the authority...as you are basically indirectly telling them you bought this and that...surely some people will not want to that to fall into the hands of the authority.
Come on. You're talking as if buying computer products was a shady business and that people want to do it only in complete anonimity. Can't you imagine how many items are bought on eBay-India every year? In any case, online purchases do not have to be done only with credit cards.

realdan

Ambassador of Buzz
realization has dawned upon me of the complete meandering from the main topic.
my apology to the main topic starter

saying that it will work is not as easy as making it happen in the real life scenario..
business do not have to be restrained by your location..you can move to a better location...if you can give it as a reason for not doing so..then how can you get at those who are not lowering the price to a level people you say will be comfortable with..if they think the lower volume of higher margin is better than the probable higher volume and lower margin. who knows? they might have done research on it too.

ok dell are crap...that crap! you said it for computer savvy guy like you and not only western people...
and by dell i expect you mean to include all product range!

i dont how it wandered off to online trading?
ebay and the specialized online shop in question operate differently..not a proper comparison

the hosting stuff and all that is just there for you to build on the argument :)

logistics here cannot be compared to other countries which are highly developed in this area..and the scale may not be high enough to lower the cost of these...

dont oversimplify matter
dont simply harp on price and think it will do all the business for you
the people currently in this business probably have thought of all this

surely not all people are as law abiding as you...

who knows! when they see your post here, they will pay heed and you can then celebrate...and we too :)

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
realization has dawned upon me of the complete meandering from the main topic.
my apology to the main topic starter
My apologies too. But it happens sometimes. And I'm sure many forum members will agree that this is an important issue.

saying that it will work is not as easy as making it happen in the real life scenario..
I am not some clueless kid shooting off my mouth without thinking. My opinions are the result of years of practical experience and interaction with real-life purchasing public. And it's not based on theoretical market analysis based on theoretical assumptions either.
business do not have to be restrained by your location..you can move to a better location...if you can give it as a reason for not doing so..
I have explained more than once that I do not want to be a trader. It is not my ambition, and I do not particularly wish to be rich. I am quite happy with the way I work and live now.

then how can you get at those who are not lowering the price to a level people you say will be comfortable with..if they think the lower volume of higher margin is better than the probable higher volume and lower margin. who knows? they might have done research on it too.
Does one have to be a politician to voice an opinion when a politician is clearly making the wrong decision? Does one have to be an expert football player to know when Beckham misses a goal? Is Alex Ferguson a better player than C.Ronaldo?

ebay and the specialized online shop in question operate differently..not a proper comparison
Okay, let's confine it to computers. Do you have any idea how many people visit eBay looking for computer items they cannot find in their neighborhood at a reasonable price?

the hosting stuff and all that is just there for you to build on the argument :)
That's an important factor in the expenses they must cover to make a profit.

logistics here cannot be compared to other countries which are highly developed in this area..and the scale may not be high enough to lower the cost of these...
That's the problem with Indian mentality. We keep using as an excuse the fact that we are not as advanced as western countries. Those countries are more developed because of their mentality. They were not born developed and rich. They became that through hard work and far-sighted determination.

dont oversimplify matter
dont simply harp on price and think it will do all the business for you
No, price is not everything. But it is a BIG factor.
the people currently in this business probably have thought of all this
Maybe not - at least not in the right direction.

surely not all people are as law abiding as you...
You keep insinuating that there is something unsavoury in buying and selling computer products. I'm talking mainly about hardware, not pirated software.

Ok, so there may be a certain amount of smuggling and tax evasion involved, but not with all trading in computers. I've paid for my purchases with DDs, cheques, credit cards, online transfers and bank deposits; with proper cash memos at prices that are consistently lower than those at online shops.

who knows! when they see your post here, they will pay heed and you can then celebrate...and we too :)
I certainly hope so. Are you listening, ITWares and others?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom