Final Year Project:Selected..but help needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sav_more

Journeyman
hey guys.i m intrested in two projects for my final year electronics & telecom project.wil do any one provided i get some more info.help will be really appreciated.

source: projectguidance.com

Wireless Metal Detection System

This project uses a metal detector, a wireless (RF) communication link, a command center (computer) and a remote control vehicle as a mobile unit to detect metal underground. This information is then sent back to the workstation. The system described above has been designed, to approximate metal depth within a 4-inch deviation. For test and demonstration purposes, we will search up to a depth of 1 foot. The system operates within a 500-foot radius and can withstand reasonable amounts of interference. This system is designed to help probe unsafe or inaccessible areas

Web camera motion control

The objective of this project is to control a web camera via the Internet. This will be accomplished through the use of a motorized control tray. This tray will be connected through a (wireless) serial link to a web server that will be connected to a client applet that allows the user to control the direction the camera is pointed in. Since the solution strategy involves a wireless serial link, this would allow the camera and tray to be placed relatively far from the server. Because of this flexibility in camera placement, many different unique applications are possible for this system.

some help about design,circuits implimentation needed. thanks

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
You got loads of work and research to do. Before i say anything I would like to know a few things.

How good are you in electronics?
I need to know if you have a hobby of building electronic circuits.

Microcontroller.
do you know anything about microcontrollers. if yes please specify the core you know like (8051/52, PIC or AVR) or microprocessors Intel 8085.

Programming languages.
What programming languages do you know?
You require good knowledge in C and windows programming.
Looking at these projects i feel that programming in java will be quite complicated and you will be wasting time in doing that. you can do the client software in either clasic VB(VB 6.0) or .NET or Delphi.

What is your team size?

Now to the business.

Wireless Metal Detection System.

You will have to do the following.

1. Mobile Unit.
You can think of purchase a remore controlled toy car. this will reduce one major part of the project i.e., the mobile unit. but beware these toy cars have limited range and are also difficult to control .

2.Metal detector.
There are two options in this.

The tough one. -- which will also determine the depth of the metal object.
this is really tough and requires a lot of coding. I feel that you can use a Proximity Metal detector for this. or you have to do ever thing manually. i.e., you have to callibrate the detector such that it provides different output for different depths. so once calliberated you can tell by the output that the metal objects are in such and such depth like 2 ft or 4 ft.

Easy one.
the detector just tells if a metal object is found or not. implimenting this will be very simple and im dam sure it will work.

The on field computer.
Your Mobile unit will be carying a onboard computer which will be a microcontroller.
This onboard computers job will be to transmit data to the host computer which will be PC.
You can transmit information on whether or not a metal has been detected. if you include the proximity detector then it can also sent the depth at which the metal object was found back to the host.

The Host(Control Center).
This will include two parts.
One is the reciver and the second the PC itself.

The reciver will recive the data from the onboard computer and will send the information to the PC either via Serial , paraller or the USB Port of the computer. I suggest you to impliment serial communication cause most Microcontrollers have inbuilt support for serial communication.

Control Center Software.

The most toughest part is the serial comm link .You have to Plan how the messages Protocol will be. there are many methods, but looking at the project it would be beter if you building a costum protocol for this. The Onboard computer should also use the same protocol for communication.

One you get the data into the software.. the rest will be a piece of cake.

Remember --- You will have to write three seperate programs .

One for the onboard computer, one for Receiver --- these two will be writen in C . yes you read it right , these microcontrollers should be programmed in C . I will tell you about this later.

The third Program will run on the PC , and it will be a windows application.
You can use classic VB for this or .NET.

This is just the trailer. there will be more of this :evil:

And for the Web camera motion control project , you have to wait for sometime , as im exausted right now :(

Any more Questions..... Please post it here. ;)

Regards
Charan

PS: Please feel free to add me to your Yahoo Chat ID.

Last edited:

dheeraj_kumar

Legen-wait for it-dary!
you need to be above average in electonics and programming to do the second project.

1. First, think of how you want the webcam to move. in a surface parallel to the ground? on a wall, placed vertically? how much area do you want it to moniter? etc.

If it is on the ground, you can get a remote controlled car for a broad area, or if you want to moniter a specific area you can place your project inside a remote controlled toy train and place it on a constructed track around the area. if you want it to move in a vertical fashion, attached to the wall, you need to do more work.

2.How are you going to control the webcam? you definitely need a microcontroller for it, meaning you would need to program it as well. I would suggest a PIC. You need to know c. remember, you also need to analyze the webcam manual to find out how it communicates to a compuiter in general, for you to program it in the microcontroller

3.How are you going to communicate to the server? you can use any optical communication technology OUTSIDE the range of wavelengths detected by the webcam. Lasers cannot be used as you need to focus them to the receiver. if you are ready for it, you can even use bluetooth :D yep, I'm serious. But remember to choose a medium that gives you good speed. you may need to attach a filter to your receiver unit for cutting out the optical noise. I would suggest you modulate and demodulate for better results. all this would add significantly to the circuit(and your budget) but will spruce up your project.

4.Programming the server...You first need to hook up a microcontroller which can support a port like serial(recommended) or usb. next, you need to write a program for communicating to the receiver. it can be in vb or c++. once you get the data from the receiver, you can send it via any protocol, you can use vb to send the data to a specified port easily.

5.the client-you need to write a program to moniter a specific port for data and you need to convert the signals to an image and display it. I've seen Java applets used for this purpose. I don't know java, so I cant help you out there. google "webcam controller" for more info on using java

IMHO, this project is more complicated than the first (metal detector) remember, because both the server as well as the webcam need to both send and receiver data, you need to build a receiver and a transmitter on each "junction" as I call it.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
@sav_more both your Project is answered now. The explanation given by dheeraj_kumar is good and there is nothing more for me to add.

@harmax thanks :D

OP
sav_more

sav_more

Journeyman
AWSOME REPLYS GUYS.just checked to see if anyone has answered this post.in college rt now.will post details wen i get home.
rep points for both u guys...

thanks for the info.but my major concern is about the circuit diagrams.
i am not an expert in electronics.but can handle it well enuf.
we are a group of 3.
we will be doing the project through Arya Telecommunications.a company in Andheri(mumbai).
know bout c.
Programming part is a pain for us though.
we have learnt intel 8085,86,51 and their programming.
one of us is a good enuf programmer(atleast better than me).

my major concern is the circuit diagram.we have to submit a small report about the project undertaken to college as soon as possible.help about this wud b appreciated.

budget is not such an issue.entire costs split in 3.
so if u cud just help with the ckt diagram(links or any other medium..).

and thanks bout the info and efforts.....helped me a lot already.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom