File leeching ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

thrash_metal

In the zone
while using a P2P software the status of my downloads is showing "leech paused" . Cn anyone tell me what this means :?: ? I'm using Ares !

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
I also use ARES, but I have never come across that thing. But what I think is that, you have downlaoded more than you have uploaded for a very time, so that shows like that. Try to upload more and see if that still comes.

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
Leaching is when u don't have the full file yet and u are downloading it from fellow downloaders (or leachers). This is in contrary to Seeding, which involves uploading the file that u have finished downloading.

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
siriusb, Did you read what he asked? He dint ask wht is leeching and he asked "leech paused", lol I think u read the title and posted here.

P.S : I myself dont what leech paused means for sure. ;)

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
I did read it Doc, but I didn't know Ares used it in a special case. Generally, leeching does mean what I said. But here's a para from Ares' faq:
What are the Differences between Locally Paused and Leech Paused Downloads? What are they?

* The "downloads allowed at once" option in preferances is originally set to 15. This means that you can download 15 files at once.
If this option is changed, to say something like 5, that means that you can only download 5 files at a maximum. Other downloads will say locally paused, until one of the 5 downloads finishes. Once one is done, a new download that previously said locally paused will start. This will continue until all the downloads are complete.
* The "Maximum Upload Bandwidth" option in preferances is originally set at 0.
This means that all of your upload bandwidth (amount people can download from you) can be used. When someone changes this option to something below 8KB/s most of their downloads will say Leech Paused. Ares has done this to decrease the possibilty of having people use Ares to download tons of files, but rarely upload at a good speed. If your downloads say leech paused, make sure this option hasn't been changed and says 0 or something above 8KB/s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom