Few questions regarding RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

khattam_

Fresh Stock Since 2005
Hey folks...........
I have a few questions about RAM..........
What is RDRAM?? How is it different from SDRAM and DDR??
How can I know what kind of RAM i have??

I have 128 Mb RAM with a frequency of 133MHz. I benchmarked my RAM and got the following results. Can anyone figure out the quality of my RAM??

*www.geocities.com/cyberdony2k/ram.png

geek_rohit

In the zone
This should satisfy you. :)
*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAM
The RDRAM were in use in the very earlier days of Pentium 4. This kind of RAM could be used only on a Intel 850 based motherboard. The latest RAM nowadays is the DDR2 standard. You can check the type of RAM in your system by checking the boot screen, or the BIOS, or by using system information softwares like SiSoft Sandra.

shwetanshu

Cyborg Agent
if ur ram operates @ 133MHz, then it most probably be DDR RAM coz i think SD RAM works @ max. 100MHz. To find out which RAM u have either see in ur BIOS, if it is DDR, it will be displayed as SD DDR RAM. Dont know about SD. Else Download this.

A type of memory specification once championed by Intel that uses a 16-18 bit bus width to transfer data up to speeds of 1066MHz, making it much faster than SDRAM. Despite its inherent performance advantages it has declined in popularity in recent years and is far less prevalent than its major competitor, DDR. Source

aadipa

Padawan
RAMs, frequency and Intel chipsets supporting them.

SDRAM: 66MHz, 100MHz, 133MHz (i810, i815, i815e)
RDRAM: 800MHz <-- Not too sure here (i850, i820)
DDR: 266MHz, 333MHz, 400MHz (i845, i865, i915)
DDR2: 533MHz (i925)

aadipa

Padawan
akshayt said:
have you never heard of ddr at 667mhz,check newegg.com

Sorry, but my list is not complete.

I was just explaining what are diff RAMs and what boards they generally would work.

Naga

Broken In
devilhead_satish said:
shwetanshu said:
if ur ram operates @ 133MHz, then it most probably be DDR RAM coz i think SD RAM works @ max 100Mhz
No buddy DDR starts out at 266.
DDR SDRAM is a lot like regular SDRAM (Single Data Rate) but its main difference is its ability to effectively double the clock frequency without increasing the actual frequency, making it substantially faster than regular SDRAM. For example, with DDR SDRAM, a 133 MHz memory bus clock rate yields an effective data rate of 266 MHz.Actual speed is 133 mhz.

OP
K

khattam_

Fresh Stock Since 2005
What effect do these frequencies have?? What if a high speed RAM is installed in a slow machine (ie Pentium 2).........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom