few questions about linux...

Status
Not open for further replies.

romeo_8693

"The RaCaLaNGeL"©
1]what is the extention on binary files in linux?
2]why cant linux have installers(binaries,like in win)to install soft?
3]if a shared lib in linux in same as dll in win then y each appl requires its own lib?(what i mean here is standallone apps i.e copy paste apps)
4]y not make lib like dlls?(i mean in bits and bytes rather than scripts)..

Sykora

I see right through you.
1) No extension
2) Because it doesn't need them. All software should be installed through the distribution's respective package management.
3) Because they are custom libs written by the developer
4) Why?

praka123

left this forum longback
perhaps for question 1 below link will... :
*www.educ.umu.se/~bjorn/linux/howto/ELF-HOWTO-1.html
ELF (Executable and Linking Format) is a binary format originally developed by USL (UNIX System Laboratories) and currently used in Solaris and System V Release 4. Because of its increased flexibility over the older a.out format that Linux previously used, the GCC and C library developers decided last year to move to using ELF as the Linux standard binary format also.
2) .rpm,.deb..tgz,autopackage all are goood installers!
3) i think for installed libs there are many environment variables are applied.so if the new custom app if propreitory will need its on libs etc?
4)~~~~

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
romeo_8693 said:
y not make lib like dlls?(i mean in bits and bytes rather than scripts)..
People curse windows for dll hell and now you want to bring it to linux :mad: . No way libraries in linux are lot better than in windows cos there is a lot of code sharing among developers in Open Source arena and not to mention hardly a few developers co-operate in proprietory OS'es like windows, so the libraries used by them are totally incompatible.

eddie

El mooooo
romeo_8693 said:
3]if a shared lib in linux in same as dll in win then y each appl requires its own lib?(what i mean here is standallone apps i.e copy paste apps)
Who says that every app needs its own libraries? Most of the KDE apps share libraries in form of kdelibs and similar equivalent is there in GNOME as well. Loads of other apps share libraries as well. What made you say that each app requires its own libs?

If by stand alone apps, you mean that you should just click and play then you should look at klik (*klik.atekon.de/ ) There is a huge number of apps that can be used in form of individual files.

tech_cheetah

Journeyman
Linux work

My Company is migrating one of its investment banking applications from unix to linux. They want to make the application to work on move. So they are replacing unix servers with linux laptops.
N guess what ... I am carrying out this work. This is a really cool experience. Working on linux at grass root level has brought linux into my comfort zone.
There are so many issues coming . Like the linker of linux is not as flexible as that of solaris. U need to link ur shared library at several places in the executable make file.
Then there are dependent applications who need to be compiled from scratch.
But believe me its fun ... building a house brick by brick using magic wand of scripts and makefiles.

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
Re: Linux work

tech_cheetah said:
My Company is migrating one of its investment banking applications from unix to linux. They want to make the application to work on move. So they are replacing unix servers with linux laptops.
wh0a!!
is that really true? Will they be putting up linux loaded Laptops in the data centers instead of the older UNIX servers? :D :D :D

OP
romeo_8693

romeo_8693

"The RaCaLaNGeL"©
thanks guys for the information.....
1]got the ans..
2]@syk:what if u want to share the prog with ur friend who doesnt have net???
@prakash:yeah,but even they aint click and go...(most of the times)!
3]@eddie:i gotcha....
4]what i mean here is:
linux uses lib's which are in text rather scripts which need to be compiled and checked at runtime....whereas dll's are binaries and hence faster....here too in linux u can make changes to the script(lib)(a great advantage,since u can fit it to ur own needs)...but then for an average user its loss of speed....

mehulved

2. Just download the required package with it's dependancies and carry it on a cd.
3. They are better than click and go. It's select and click most of the times, see yum, synaptic. Have you ever upgraded a windows system with just one command? In gentoo you can upgrade your system using
Code:
emerge --world
4. I am no programmer so I don't really know much about this but it does make a lot of sense to have them user readable so that advanced users can make the right tweaks to the whole OS, whenever they like. Even newbies can do it if they just read and follow various how-tos. This makes the concept better than dll's.

OP
romeo_8693

romeo_8693

"The RaCaLaNGeL"©
well,that was fast!!:)
2]thats the point.....downloading dependencies is such a big headache....insatllers would have been lot easy.(i want to make a point here...im no advocate for mcsft..i love linux but all im trying to convey is that it could be made easier)...
4]here again out of 1billion indians how many u think are even advanced users of windows(linux later)???
so may be for them get the speed advantage...also in a company u wont sit and tweak ur system...there production "time" is imp...so y not make linux rum faster...

mehulved

2. Well what are package managers for then?
4. Think in corporate scenario too. And believe me it's not that tough to edit config files. I have done it so much and I am no big geek or something. Tweaking the files doesn't really take much time and as of what I have seen linux does run faster than windows on the same hardware with same amount of eye candy. Just compare aero and XGL or AIGLX.

eddie

El mooooo
2) Where is the end to putting stuff in that installer? Linux environment is so varied and various distros pack everything so differently that making a common installer for every application is not just difficult but IMPOSSIBLE. What you have in Windows is one OS, one environment, one set of libraries, one way of packing stuff and one set of dependencies. This makes putting an installer for Windows an easy task. Same cannot be done for Linux distros.

4) What library files are you talking about? All libraries I have seen are binaries and you cannot edit them. Where have you seen text editable libraries in Linux? Can you give an example? I am lost here :-/

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
@Romeo, Don't compare Windows O.S with Linux. Both are totally different!!!
In Windows , the installer comes with the EXE & other DLLs required for the program
to be installed. In Linux the package you install may require other packages (dependencies)
to be installed first , before it can be installed. The shared library files are not editable!!
They are binaries. Don't ask silly questions @Romeo. first understand Linux O.S,
then ask questions. Buy a good book in Linux & study it first.

nitish_mythology

OSS Enthusiast!
I met tech-cheetah a year ago when I was new in the forum...
Remember he was the one to write sudokool!
He was having his training in TCS..

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
@Nitish, It would be always helpful if you have someone around who can teach you
things you don't know. Linux or whatever.

nitish_mythology

OSS Enthusiast!
JGuru said:
@Nitish, It would be always helpful if you have someone around who can teach you
things you don't know. Linux or whatever.

Couldnot get what u r trying to say...
Is it tht I hv spoken something wrong abt tech_cheetah?

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
@Nitish,
You have not spoken anything wrong about tech-cheetah!!
What I said was, If you dont know a certain thing (say Linux or whatever), a person
who knows the thing can teach you ,if you meet that person. Be it virtual or real
meeting. ie., thro email , chat(virtual) or in real.

OP
romeo_8693

romeo_8693

"The RaCaLaNGeL"©
sorry for late rep...xams!
@jguru:i got me man...my ignorance sorry...btw abt sitting with a buk i'd rather got to a local pharmacy for medicine than storm the factory....;-))

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom