Fedora used Adobe Illustrator to create its logo!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackpearl

The Devil
One of the things I love about Fedora is that it only includes Free software. Despite the fact that any and all patent encumbered or non-open licensed software has to be installed manually, I can’t help but respect the project for taking a stand for Freedom.

That’s why I was extremely disappointed, almost hurt, when I opened the Fedora logo SVG file in a text editor and saw the header from Adobe Illustrator. I hoped that it was some kind of mistake, but it wasn’t. Don’t believe me? Check these out. I added the txt extension to the filename for easy readability

*linuxbraindump.org/2007/10/09/double-standards-at-fedora/

No matter how many open source programs are created, all professionals prefer applications like Photoshop and Illustrator when it comes to "real" work.

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
Yep.. gAMA ¯È7Šé tEXtSoftware Adobe ImageReadyqÉe<

That's strange inspite of many open source software available for designing.

mediator

Technomancer
^KOrrect! Is it any different from the news that spread bt MS using Linux based network?

I guess the scenario is similar to the warezed soundforged files in WMP.

But WTH, I too wud have appreciated if the Fedora developers had checked these small things out! :oops:

BTW, "Máirín Duffy" has given a very nice explanation to it all in the comments section of that same page!

Mairin said:
While I appreciate the sentiment, I think this is a non-issue. I don’t think it is any secret that the Fedora logo was developed by a design firm called Capstrat, as part of discussions with the community. That Capstrat’s designer, Matt, decided to use Illustrator, while unfortunate, is again no secret. None of the artwork designed for Fedora 8 was done in tools that are not free and open source and available in Fedora though. You’ll find Inkscape SVG source files for all of Fedora 8’s artwork on our site for the theme: *fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork/F8Themes/Infinity/Round3Final

When you request a copy of the Fedora logo, you’ll get the SVG (SVG, you know, the open format? Not *.ai?) artwork that was originally provided to us by Capstrat. As the maintainer of the Fedora logo I will certainly make an effort to clean up the logo SVGs so that any Illustrator junk in them is gone, so in the future this won’t be the case. But I don’t really think we need to hide the fact that the logo wasn’t designed in Illustrator. We’re not happy about it, but, what’s done is done and it would be silly to design a brand new logo from the ground up in Inkscape and lose all of the brand recognition we have so far just because the original logo was done in Illustrator.

Perhaps you might look at the process by which Fedora 8’s artwork was created, in an open, source-sharing, Inkscape & GIMP using manner? And see that there really are no double standards here….
The entire logo development process was done in the open! See

*www.redhat.com/magazine/014dec05/features/fedora/

*digg.com/design/Draft_of_New_Fedora_Logo

*www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-marketing-list/2005-September/msg00130.html <= you can read through the fedora marketing list during the time period the logo was created and follow the entire process!

We obviously took no steps to “hide” that the logo was originally created in Illustrator as the Illustrator tags are still in the SVG. So if you could elaborate more maybe I can address your concern.

There is an attitude that existed previously in Fedora and it still prevails somewhat in the FOSS community, (ESPECIALLY with regards to branding of things… look at the turmoil that Firefox’s branding has caused, it’s the whole reason Seamonkey exists) that what applies to code and how you license it and the tools you use to create it doesn’t apply to creative works like logos and artwork.

Fedora 8 I consider a breakthrough in that it’s the first release that all of the artwork for the distro’s branding was created openly, in the community, with shared sources, in the FOSS tools available in Fedora itself.

The logo comes from an older era in Fedora.

I’m sorry James, but I can’t change the past :( but I can certainly keep trying to improve things for the future.

din

Tribal Boy
mediator said:
I guess the scenario is similar to the warezed soundforged files in WMP.

Hmm, I think it is not very similar

First - In the case of WMP, they used sound files that are edited with an illegal copy of SoundForge.

In case of Fedora, yes they used Illustrator but it was not an illegal copy.

Second - Fedora didn't try to hide something or defend their stand in this issue. They admitted it, and as per the reply Fedora 8 will not be like that.

mediator

Technomancer
IT feels like that some judgement is being passed whether its an issue! :D
Hmm, I think it is not very similar

First - In the case of WMP, they used sound files that are edited with an illegal copy of SoundForge.

In case of Fedora, yes they used Illustrator but it was not an illegal copy.

Second - Fedora didn't try to hide something or defend their stand in this issue. They admitted it, and as per the reply Fedora 8 will not be like that.
Yeah! :) I know!

vish786

"The Gentleman"
din said:

only linux admits what they do.. not the rest OS. ;)

mediator said:
IT feels like that some judgement is being passed whether its an issue! :D

ROFL :D... MAJORITY

OP
blackpearl

blackpearl

The Devil
It's an issue nonetheless. How can they ask others to drop closed source s/w and use open source when they can't convince even their logo designers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom