Fedora from digit

Status
Not open for further replies.

abhi_10_20

Cool and Calm
did u guys try Fedora 7 provided by digit?
it gave an error that some part of a file was missing while installation(after about 77%) and rebooting wud put my comp into an unstable state.....

cud hav been a serious issue.... but my windows partition was'nt disturbed..
dunno wat's the problem.....dvd has no scratches......

praka123

left this forum longback
with most fedora dvd's this is a problem of scratched DVD.u can try ur luck with washing or cleaning DVD.while in installer select only Gnome and x-window system packages.thus if u have luck it can get installed.
btwn,if DVD is clean.then also it hangs,post this in open source section along with ur hardware esp hdd's and graphics card,mobo details.
btwn Ubuntu too is worth a try.

skghosh44

dig_boy_dig,dig !
I installed Fedora 7 in my system. After successful installation when I rebooted the system it ask me for login name and PW. After typing correct
login name and pw. It displays msg " Sorry incorrect". What shall I do
Please help me. Is there any way to login to Fedora with out login name and
PW. If there is no way please advice me how to uninstall Fedora.

skghosh

Last edited:
OP
abhi_10_20

abhi_10_20

Cool and Calm
howz that possible? you r saying that u have typed correct name and password and it says incorrect ? give ur root name and passwordcorrectly as u had specified during installation and see ..it shud work.....

skghosh44

dig_boy_dig,dig !
When the prompt username login screen appear, I typed the user name
when asked for password I typed the pw. It display msg "login incorrct"
If I type in the prompt username login = "root" it ask for pw and when I typed the PW, it accept the PW and the prompt became as "root@username #".what is the wrong.

praka123

left this forum longback
do read some guides reg linux user admin and file system hierarchy

dont login as root in Linux for daily use.root is administrator.but note down ur root and passwd somewhere.now login as root and open a terminal by right clicking on th desktop or from the menu Applications>Accessories>Terminal.now do u remember what do u set as local username?if u forgot the passwd for local user,u can reset from root terminal as follows:
Code:
passwd username
^where username is ur local username.now write down this local username and passwd somewhere for u to remember.

Next,Do you get a GUI(graphical user interface) when login with username and passwd?I cant make it from ur answer above.u may be getting a fail-safe terminal session.this means no Desktop Environments are installed.for that u must have to select in Installer to install Gnome or Kde or Xfce Desktop Environments while installing.from terminal,u can mount fedora dvd and try installing Gnome rpms etc and i'd say, it is impractical.
But since if u see a GUI gdm from where u login`ed and got a fail-safe terminal session.u can the terminal after "#" prompt type:
Code:
system-config-packages
*iup.in/img/praka123/thumb/ndgui.jpg
^if it works to show u a gui menu with available options,insert ur FC DVD-then make sure u ticked/selected GNOME or kde or xfce-any one of them and other needed packages from the list.if u want programming(c/cpp/java/.net)
select programming option.now press the install button.
Also when u get a gui login prompt(it is called gnome desktop manager or gdm)
make sure in options,u selected Gnome or kde or xfce for login.
Since i am a debian/ubuntu user my explanation may not be 100% correct.but hope it Solves.

Now-do you not at all getting display(gui) only a tty with login prompt.reply here with ur pc specs esp graphics card or onboard card name.
Best of Luck and have a look at this Linux basic system administration guide afterwards:
*tldp.org/LDP/sag/html/index.html
I advice you may feel it easy as Linux File system hierarchy is completely different(UNIX-like is Linux too!) and you can sort some guide on file systems like below one:
*www.linuxnovice.org/main_focus.php3?VIEW=VIEW&t_id=126
and a detailed one below:
*tldp.org/LDP/sag/html/index.html
also goto fedoraproject.org for more help.:)

skghosh44

dig_boy_dig,dig !
Re: do read some guides reg linux user admin and file system hierarchy

praka123 said:
Next,Do you get a GUI(graphical user interface) when login with username and passwd?
No I get black screen. No graphical interface. As I am new in linux, I find it
very dificult to understand the command and user interface. After trying whole day yesterday for login into fedora, I uninstall the fedora core 7 today and again install Ubuntu 5.10. Now I am trying to configuring internet connection in ubuntu as per your previous guidelines. If I cant pelase help me. If I configure the dataone connection in ubuntu will it effect in Windows dataone config ?
Whether I have to switch on the adsl modem during configuration in ubuntu?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom