Fedora Core 5 installation through CDs giving problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dink2cool

Broken In
Hi guys ..
yesterday i burnt ISOs of Fedora Core 5 on CDs .. the ISOs i got from MAy isue of another technology magzine .. Initially the CD 2 had problems which I managed to solve .. But later when I tried to install it the setup reached the point where it says "pease wait the installlation begin " .. the installation began and progress bar reached midway and then the comp restarted .. it gave a message "graphical interface loading" before restarting .. but it didnt boot after that .. instead win xp did .. on booting with fedora cd 1 again the entire setup started once again ...

what could be the problem guys .. plz help me out

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Firstly, what was the problem with the 2nd CD? How did you repair it.
Clearly Your installation wasn't finished. The bootloader hasn't been installed so your computer still boots from Windows XP's loader, ntldr.
Try doing the installation all over again and see. But, before beginning the installation, do a media test, it is highly likely that your media is corrupt.

And please post linux related queries in Open Source Section for better response.

borg

In the zone
Another trick would be to install, but remove all the software that you don't need immediately. You could choose only KDE/Gnome for example. You could remove openoffice & any other such non critical peice of software. This way, you might try to avoid that corrupted part on the 2nd disk. May not work, but is worth a try.

OP
Dink2cool

Dink2cool

Broken In
@jatin - yeah its c***

@tech_your_future - 2nd cd had checksum error .. which i corrected by the solution available online

yeah it showed all the 5 media were erreneous .. but since all had error i thought there was something fishy so i proceeded .. coz they were all new :)

so i proceeded .. also .. i tried to upgrade the setup the 2nd time .. then grub got installed .. so i started fedora .. it then asked for "login hostname" in non-graphic mode

oh and by the way .. 1st time i'm installing linux .. so dont know much abt it .. plz try to help

borg

In the zone
hmmm... more often than not, the CD shows error while doing a media check, but the installtion works out fine.

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
Looks like your CD2 is corrupt. You can try burning the CD2 again from the ISO
using Nero. Now again try installing FC5. If the same error crops up. You better
get a Fedora CD2 from your friend , who has a clean Fedora CDs. Another option
is downloading from their website using a download manager like FlashGet.

OP
Dink2cool

Dink2cool

Broken In
good news guys .. i've successfully installed linux

but there's a bad news too .. it isnt booting up .. while booting it gives a message "
file system clean
failed . no link present "
and then it starts the boot log ..
what could be the prob ??

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Is this the exact message you get? This doesn't give any information on the nature of problem.
I didn't get what you mean by bootlog.

Jitin

Broken In
first copy all 5 isos to hdd
go to
Code:
www.utorrent.com
and d/l utorrent
here is torrent link
Code:
*torrent.fedoraproject.org/torrents/bordeaux-binary-i386.torrent
In utorrent give path of these isos and do a hash check
and complete the missing chunk
Regards

OP
Dink2cool

Dink2cool

Broken In
guys .. i've already corrected cd 2 .. so u all dont need to give the soln for correcting cd 2 .. i've even installed linux properly .. i'm just not able to boot it up properly ..
@ tech_your_future : i'll be uploading a screenshot in few hrs(my ( coz my net's not working properly BSNL broadband :( ) .. it might give u some clue of what i'm trying to tell ... oh and sorry for writing bootlog instead of "system logger"

OP
Dink2cool

Dink2cool

Broken In
@ tech_tour_future : here's the link

*dinkarpundir.googlepages.com/P62200888.jpg

i couldnt take the pic properly as my hands were shaking .. does this give any ide of what might be wrong ..

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
Looks like there was an error when installing the bootloader. So there is no change
being made in the MBR. That's why you can't boot from your HD.

mediator

Technomancer
Might be the libraries werent installed properly!
Neways I downloaded CD2 instead of repairing the given ISO image with chip! Well u may do the same! I think the installation of CD2 got messed up in ur case!

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Did you upgrade the previous existing Fc5 or did you perform a full format and install? I dunno what... but if you do try again, use Ext3, perhaps Resier FS is the problem?

OP
Dink2cool

Dink2cool

Broken In
ok i'll try Ext3 tonight .. i hope this time it works out .. but why didnt the installer give any error during installation if it was corrupt

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
I really dont know whats wrong, but if the media is truly corrupted, dont attempt for an install, screws up system or does a bad installation. :(

OP
Dink2cool

Dink2cool

Broken In
guys there's a good news and a bad one

the bad one is that my fedora core 5 cds were corrupt
but
the good news is that instead of fedora i've installed suse 10.1 ...

but i need your help coz i am not able to play videos in it .. i've configured the sound and i'm able to hear audio songs in it .. but videos are giving prob .. so plz help me out guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom